Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #48316
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,874
What size 606s are you guys running? Does it make sense to get the 130s?

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #48317
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_XR View Post
Dude, you need a job in the Honda marketing department, and I mean that in a good way as I agree with most of what you say. XR love is good thing.
I just took an awesome ride all around the beautiful mountains that surround Frenchmans lake in northern california.....talk about beaufiful scenery Plus there was some challenging terrian to have fun on as well.....couldn't have asked for a better ride. I stopped at a beautiful spot overlooking the lake from above as the sun was setting, was going to get a couple pics for you guys, but I didn't want to pull off my gear to get to the camera...sorry, I'll do better next time

I'm an outdoor guy like most of you, and I can't stay sane without a beautiful ride out in the woods, watching some animals, working on my riding skills, smelling the beautiful air, and enjoying the beauty of nature. Thats one thing you can't experience first hand on a full-fledged street bike......so the xr will always have a spot in the garage
I guess I do have xr love

Honda, I'm ready to market
Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #48318
GlockPointer
NachosRiflesAlchohol

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Speaking of mufflers, I see Yoshimura makes ones. Anyone on here tried it?
I have one. The fit, quality and sound are right where you want them to be on a 400$ pipe. I knew I could not go wrong with the Yoshi, but I had no idea who DG was, or why their pipes were so cheap. 10k miles later and there has been no change in sound, even the sticker still looks new.
GlockPointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:28 AM   #48319
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumb Yoshi's good stuff for the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockPointer View Post
I have one. The fit, quality and sound are right where you want them to be on a 400$ pipe. I knew I could not go wrong with the Yoshi, but I had no idea who DG was, or why their pipes were so cheap. 10k miles later and there has been no change in sound, even the sticker still looks new.
I have an all polished stainless yoshi R-22 "bling" system on my busa, paid 709+free shipping sale price for it. Its an awesome system, extremely well made, looks super sharp on the busa, is WAY WAY lighter than stock, made a HUGE diff in handling, and gave the bike a big power gain.....plus its pretty quiet as sportbike full systems go. And it fits and tucks in like a glove.
I highly recommend anything by yosh.....great products and great customer support
Old 10-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #48320
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
What size 606s are you guys running? Does it make sense to get the 130s?
I ran 2) 120's...big enough but I am going to try the Spuds rec. on the 110. The 120 does square off and Spud sez that the 110 does better on rounding off so that the transition in the curves is not so apparent. Probably a little lighter. I think the 130 is overkill.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #48321
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
This just popped up locally to me.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/3374057366.html

That thing looks like fun! The ad cracks me up though, the only mod he listed was a fresh bore and a piston? kinda makes me wonder if the seller had someone build it for him then he smoked it....
Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #48322
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,647
Check this out!!!! WOW

Look at this High Performance exhaust system!!! Holy Cow, I think you will agree It looks fast.
A perfect foundation for a modification project.
Anybody want to make an offer on this? From 96 XRL.

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #48323
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
thought id throw this out there but i put a wanted add in the parts section.
looking for a set of rims or even just a rear, long story short when i replaced my rear wheel bearings i didnt drill out the 4 little detents and mangled the threads, i was able to fix it but next bearing swap wont be pretty, so just preparing ahead and want to have a set ready to go and/or to be able to try/ swap diff. tire combos.
not looking to break my bank.
thanks brian
I would think LocTite would hold the bearing retianer in place. Low strength of course. No need for a new wheel.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #48324
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
also looking for a stock exhaust too, gonna try my hand at modifyin a stock one, need some one local with one or someone to only charge me shipping for a good one.
thanks brian
Bingo! we have a winner ( or is it whinner) Oh well you guys know how bad my spelling is.
See above post for 96 model MotoGP approved Land Speed record holder exhaust. Custom clamps of Houstonium Super Alloy material included, Billet flanges included, factory bends included.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #48325
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Well the XRL club just added one member over the weekend! I've been trying to trade/sell my fourwheeler for quite a while now and finally made a deal over the weekend for an even swap on a 2002 XR650L! Bike is strong and running well. I'll try to get a pic soon.

I now need to know some of your opinions on a few mods I hope to take care of soon. The only mod thus far has been the removal of about 20 ugly-ass stickers! I know alot of this has probably already been discussed on here... Maybe you could direct me to the pages/links so I don't have to sort through thousands of posts. I know procycle.com is a great site... any others?

#1 - Rear turn signals. One of them is missing... this a priority mod so I can get it tagged. What are the aftermarket options in this department? Hoping to have a little more streamlined/tighter look than the factory blinkers.
#2 - Tires. The tires on it now are in good shape but are street tires. I'm hoping for something that's 60%dirt / 40%street that doesn't break the bank.
#3 - Rack. Which rear rack are you all most happy with? My intentions are nothing more than soft luggage and maybe a fuel cell... Later on I might want to acquire soft saddle bags.
#4 - Gas Tank - Don't need the safari size. Is Clarke 4.7 the only/best option?

Lastly... Any common/inexpensive ways to lighten 'er up?

I'm sure there'll be more mods but this should get me started. THANKS... Looking forward to riding!!
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #48326
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Well the XRL club just added one member over the weekend! I've been trying to trade/sell my fourwheeler for quite a while now and finally made a deal over the weekend for an even swap on a 2002 XR650L! Bike is strong and running well. I'll try to get a pic soon.

I now need to know some of your opinions on a few mods I hope to take care of soon. The only mod thus far has been the removal of about 20 ugly-ass stickers! I know alot of this has probably already been discussed on here... Maybe you could direct me to the pages/links so I don't have to sort through thousands of posts. I know procycle.com is a great site... any others?

#1 - Rear turn signals. One of them is missing... this a priority mod so I can get it tagged. What are the aftermarket options in this department? Hoping to have a little more streamlined/tighter look than the factory blinkers.
#2 - Tires. The tires on it now are in good shape but are street tires. I'm hoping for something that's 60%dirt / 40%street that doesn't break the bank.
#3 - Rack. Which rear rack are you all most happy with? My intentions are nothing more than soft luggage and maybe a fuel cell... Later on I might want to acquire soft saddle bags.
#4 - Gas Tank - Don't need the safari size. Is Clarke 4.7 the only/best option?

Lastly... Any common/inexpensive ways to lighten 'er up?

I'm sure there'll be more mods but this should get me started. THANKS... Looking forward to riding!!
Welcome aboard! For the rear signals there are LOTS of options in addition to keeping the originals and putting in LED's...

For the rack, one of the inmates here Jungleplant makes an awesome rack that you can find on his site here...

http://www.manracks.com/master#!__master/honda-xr650l-saddle-bag-rack
He makes a few different things for the XRL, in addition to an adjustable kickstand in case you want to lower your bike....

I got a rack from him and it is very strong and bolted right up. There are lots of bag options too, this might be something you want to think about when you're looking at racks, but I got a wolfman beta plus to go with my rack and they worked very well together...

There are more options for the tanks too like the Acerbis that has 2 petcocks instead of one like the Clarke. I have a clarke 4.7 and really liked the added range it gave me and also never had an issue with not being able to use most of my gas due to the one petcock vs 2.

-Barron
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #48327
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
I ran 2) 120's...big enough but I am going to try the Spuds rec. on the 110. The 120 does square off and Spud sez that the 110 does better on rounding off so that the transition in the curves is not so apparent. Probably a little lighter. I think the 130 is overkill.
As with oil etc. we are all different on tires. I have run most everything on the rear of my L, 952, Desert IT, etc. & for me the 130 606 takes me the farthest for the money. Even when worn down the 130 still gives me fair traction. I am riding in Moab 2 days next week on one that is 3/4 worn out but will do the WRT just fine. My feelomg is the 120 is comparable to all the others & the 130 a step above.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #48328
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,463
My brother started his ride report.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post19932112
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #48329
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,910
My first XRL had a 140 Metzeler enduro on it. No problems with it. I got close to 8000 miles out of it, twice the mileage I get with a D606...at twice the price though. I put another set on a couple years back but I usually like to run knobbies. The Metzelers work well in most terrain except mud. They suck in mud...

I usually run a 130 D606. I have had zero problems with any of them. The only thing I don't like about D606's...the front tires always wear real funny so I've been a cheap skate and have been running Michelin T-63's up front.

bwalsh screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 02:10 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #48330
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,910
Speaking of new bikes...

My 04 needs some work which will entail tearing it apart and I assume it will take awhile to get it back on the road(based on my slow ass). So, I had been looking for something different to buy and ride while the 04 was in pieces. I came home with this a few weeks back...

Hey, It's different! It's an 08 with 2,717 miles.

It had been rode hard and put away wet...quite a bit of mud all over it!

Came with what looks like a TCI Borrego luggage rack, Cortech bag on the rack, D606's F&R, FMF Q4 slip-on, Skid plate(don't know which brand), Pro Taper 1" risers, Pro Taper CR-high bend bars and Moose bark busters.
The carb has a dyno-jet kit installed. I took it apart to see what had actually been done. It had a 50s pilot jet and a 165 main jet and the DJ needle with the clip in the third slot. The slide had not been drilled so I did that and while I was in there I replaced the needle with the stocker and a washer.
I bought that Acerbis 5.8 tank and installed it(what a bitch!) and moved the IMS pegs over from my 04. I have the RSW fork brace off the 04 and intend to install it on the 08 but wanted to see the difference in handling without running one. It was on the 04 when I bought it.
My first tank of gas resulted in 37.4 mpg's. Definitely not running lean! It has an ever so slight bog on acceleration form say 30 mph up. I'm going to replace the jets with a 58/160 combo and see if I can get a few more mpg's out of it. I'm hoping to at least get it up to what the 04 was getting, ~44 mpg.

bwalsh screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 02:07 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote