User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 516 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #25756
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,826
The 'I've got all this Gore Tex cycling stuff, fuck it let's ride' ride.

So Sandy's sticking around the area and I'm going stir-crazy cause I ain't ridden in a day.

So I went riding! Gore jacket. Gore gloves (BMW Summer Rains ). Gore booties. Only thing that wasn't Gore were my tights. ...and that's cause they don't make em 'cycling tight.'

There's been a few trees knocked over. There's at least one power line down. LOTS of debris on the roads.

Only reason I was chilly was I was overdressed under the jacket. Got sweaty, then chilly. I was going hard enough to not get cold, but not so hard to stay warm.

All-in-all

M

edited to add: fenders rawk!

Gummee! screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 10:13 AM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #25757
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The 'I've got all this Gore Tex cycling stuff, fuck it let's ride' ride.

So Sandy's sticking around the area and I'm going stir-crazy cause I ain't ridden in a day.

So I went riding! Gore jacket. Gore gloves (BMW Summer Rains ). Gore booties. Only thing that wasn't Gore were my tights. ...and that's cause they don't make em 'cycling tight.'

There's been a few trees knocked over. There's at least one power line down. LOTS of debris on the roads.

Only reason I was chilly was I was overdressed under the jacket. Got sweaty, then chilly. I was going hard enough to not get cold, but not so hard to stay warm.

All-in-all

M

edited to add: fenders rawk!
Definitely following Rule #5.

I, on the other hand, forgot my shoes for Sunday's ride, stayed in and played with the baby while my wife and f-in-law hit the road. Well, I did give my bike a thorough cleaning while the YakSprout was sleeping.

I'll also take the easy way out on tomorrow's ride with the club and drive over to it rather than ride 13mi to the meeting point, do the ride and then ride 6mi to work. Too damn dark at 5:30am to try riding over. Next week should be better after the time change.

Solvang Prelude Metric is on Saturday, though, and we've got a group together to ride that. Lunch after at Firestone Brewery.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #25758
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,903
Well, the sun is setting at about 1830 now, and starting next week it will be 1730

Not enough time for me to get a ride in after work.

So I just ordered a MagicShine MJ-808 headlight

Some local semi-pro racers are putting on a MTB skills clinic this Sunday as well. Should be fun, and very educational since I can tell while riding that I am doing stuff probably not the best way
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #25759
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Well, the sun is setting at about 1830 now, and starting next week it will be 1730

Not enough time for me to get a ride in after work.

So I just ordered a MagicShine MJ-808 headlight

Some local semi-pro racers are putting on a MTB skills clinic this Sunday as well. Should be fun, and very educational since I can tell while riding that I am doing stuff probably not the best way
Just ordered one of these from a few pages back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261073771436...84.m1497.l2649

I should have it in 2-3 weeks.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #25760
beeks76
Your What Hurts???

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
and my new HG50-8 13-26 cassette arrived today ($11 on amazon!!), brought my back wheel down to my favorite LBS where they nicked me $5 to slap it onto the wheel on the spot (no complaints). took it for a brief spin, a mile or so down a side street and back. YES! my thoughts of a 2x9 or 10 upgrade are receeding. I do believe this will do the trick for quite some time with the crankset I have, my low is now a 28:26 which is plenty low enough, and my high is a 48:13 which is taller than I'm gonna be pulling on a flatbar bike any time soon. most important, ALL the gear steps are much closer. color me

hey, for laughs, I ordered one of these on fleabay... direct from China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261073771436...84.m1497.l2649

I looked up the tech specs on a Cree XM-L T6 bin... its not 1800 lumens except maybe down hill with a tail wind, but it IS capable of over 1000 lumens. thats about as much total light as a automobile halogen 9004 high beam. this should be fun. if the supplied li-ion pack is the 6400mAH 8.4V they claim, thats 54 watt-hours, which should keep it burning for 5+ hours on way-too-bright, and much longer on 'plenty-bright'.

I'll report back when I've got it and had some time to play with it. bonus, it has a headlight strap in addition to a handlebar clamp.
Yeah I have kind of been waiting for a report, anything yet? I am contemplating one of these myself but would like to here from someone who has used one first. Thanks!!!
beeks76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #25761
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeks76 View Post
Yeah I have kind of been waiting for a report, anything yet? I am contemplating one of these myself but would like to here from someone who has used one first. Thanks!!!
not here yet. china post, don'tcha know? heh.

found some online reviews on bike forums of these exact lights, this is a brief summary of what I gathered using my subjective reality filter... Yes, they are in reality 700-900 lumens not '1800' or '1200' as advertised. they run moderately hot but not too bad because the aluminum body is a heat sink. the beam is a little too much of a spotlight, several guys added spreader lenses to make them more of a horizontal spread. they ARE about as bright as a single motorcycle low beam. the supplied mount is suckage, one guy drilled and tapped 3 small holes in his and screwed it to pieces from an old catseye bar clamp, much better. the battery pack works OK, and uses standard 18650(?) liion cells available from Battery Junction and others for cheap, so even if the supplied batteries conk out early, no big deal. the wiring is a bit funky, but not hard to redo when needed.

this was probably the best of those forum reviews...
http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...mp-759177.html
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #25762
beeks76
Your What Hurts???

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
not here yet. china post, don'tcha know? heh.

found some online reviews on bike forums of these exact lights, this is a brief summary of what I gathered using my subjective reality filter... Yes, they are in reality 700-900 lumens not '1800' or '1200' as advertised. they run moderately hot but not too bad because the aluminum body is a heat sink. the beam is a little too much of a spotlight, several guys added spreader lenses to make them more of a horizontal spread. they ARE about as bright as a single motorcycle low beam. the supplied mount is suckage, one guy drilled and tapped 3 small holes in his and screwed it to pieces from an old catseye bar clamp, much better. the battery pack works OK, and uses standard 18650(?) liion cells available from Battery Junction and others for cheap, so even if the supplied batteries conk out early, no big deal. the wiring is a bit funky, but not hard to redo when needed.

this was probably the best of those forum reviews...
http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...mp-759177.html
Wow, excellent summary thank you!!
beeks76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #25763
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeks76 View Post
Wow, excellent summary thank you!!
+1

I'm lucky in that I have a buddy that owns an LED lighting company. I figger if anything goes wrong, I have a source to either get it fixed or upgraded.

Mine's not here yet either. I'm thinking Sandy may have had something to do with that.

M
Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #25764
pierce
Aven'Tourer

the chinese ebay vendor took 5 days to get around to actually dropping mine into the HK Post. :-/

I figure 10 more days before I see it.

did some more reading. these are apparently clones of the MagicShine MJ-808E, which is a $80 Chinese XR-L based light. The 'original' has a multicolor LED in the switch that shows charge state, while these $35 ones just go from green to red, and the original has a tempered glass lens, these clones have a thinner regular glass lens (but I'm replacing mine with http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-Angle-L...-/280752532003 asap...).
Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #25765
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Live streaming video: 2:45pm CET (9:45am U.S. Eastern)

Koppenberg Cross

Thurs. Be there or be square!

M
Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #25766
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
And I get off work at 1530 As soon as rugby season's done it's lap intervals at Druid Hill Park for me!

Hey, what's everybody's favorite windproof outer layer?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #25767
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
And I get off work at 1530 As soon as rugby season's done it's lap intervals at Druid Hill Park for me!

Hey, what's everybody's favorite windproof outer layer?
My Volvo.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #25768
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,455
Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #25769
pierce
Aven'Tourer

when I was a all weather rider, if it was windy or cold I wore leggings with my bike shorts and a gortex windbreaker that had armpit vents, and a PVC+Nylon rain suit with rain pants if it was raining hard. I ran fenders on my road and mtn bikes and commuted with one or another year around.

in the 70s, those leggings were black wool. I'm sure they have something microfleece now.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #25770
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
when I was a all weather rider, if it was windy or cold I wore leggings with my bike shorts and a gortex windbreaker that had armpit vents, and a PVC+Nylon rain suit with rain pants if it was raining hard. I ran fenders on my road and mtn bikes and commuted with one or another year around.

in the 70s, those leggings were black wool. I'm sure they have something microfleece now.
1. In the nasties, fenders rawk
2. PVC has been replaced by Gore Tex
3. Wool (merino specifically) is making a huge comeback. Most of my cycling socks are now merino. Got some new arm and knee warmers that're merino but haven't worn em yet.

I'm one of those guys that likes knickers and knee warmers over tights and leg warmers. I just get too hot too quickly. S'why I hardly wear my Assos 851 jacket. With just a base layer, its good to go to the range.

Missed a ride yesterday. At the time I was getting motivated, my little brother sez he needs a ride to the airport. Oh well. The up side is that I found my Castelli gloves that I thought I'd driven off, leaving em on top of the car. Only paid $20 for em, but that's $40-50 I didn't have to spend to replace em.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: