Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #242
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
you are the definition of tedious.
I know,
I just can't resist, you post so many funny things.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #243
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Don't let the self actualized farts here bother you. The Bandit is a torque monster which is what makes it so much fun.
Thank you Slide.
There seem to be a few here who are truly "Legends in their own mind"
Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #244
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
got'a say there's some funny shit in this thread

slow pokes... and you know who you are just move over...

I'm going to pass... I don't follow...
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #245
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,430
+1

These are ususally the groups that go out of their way to make it as difficult as possible to get around them. You either end up making a borderline-stupid pass of the entire group out of frustration, or you muscle your way through them little by little, and usually each step of the way they'll try to box you out. The HD dickhead reputation has been well-earned through years of douchbaggery, which is why there so much bashing here. There are about a million HD-centric forums for these guys to jerk each other off on, so maybe one of you disciples of the "Motor Company" can explain the appeal of hanging out here and whining about the anti-HD vibe.

Quote:
I don't know for sure, but one thing may be that the HD's ride in a dense bunch which can stretch for a distance equivalent to 3 large lorries. You can't pass such a long line and the density makes cutting in and riding amongst them as you progress impossible.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #246
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
+1

These are ususally the groups that go out of their way to make it as difficult as possible to get around them. You either end up making a borderline-stupid pass of the entire group out of frustration, or you muscle your way through them little by little, and usually each step of the way they'll try to box you out. The HD dickhead reputation has been well-earned through years of douchbaggery, which is why there so much bashing here. There are about a million HD-centric forums for these guys to jerk each other off on, so maybe one of you disciples of the "Motor Company" can explain the appeal of hanging out here and whining about the anti-HD vibe.
My guess is that since the HD crowd obviously thinks that either you are riding a Harley or you aren't riding at all, its superiority sense is threatened by being outperformed by other marques. Passing them would be a demonstration of non-HD superiority so they can't permit that to occur.

My personal gripe about HD's isn't related to these group-think but rather the *#&*#& 140 dB pipes. My wife and I were kayaking perhaps 1 km off shore in the FL Keys when a flotilla of these things went by on RT 1. Despite the vast distance, the sound of these things made for a nasty spell way out there.

I feel sorry for the towns where this bunch infests. I know they bring in money but they also bring in misery.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #247
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
+1

The bashing tends to say more about the basher than it does about HD riders. This is Adventure Rider , not some bullshit brand specific forum where we ,as a community, practice exclusion on those that ride an "unapproved" brand or bike. Most anti-bashing complaints stem from the fact that the HD riders frequenting this forum tend to be people that love bikes and enjoy adventure travel on motorcycles. To hear some moron spew out mindless drivel about who someone is without actually knowing them should, quite frankly, never be accepted and always spoken out against. the truth is that anyone that choosing to stereotype to such an extent typically doesn't have two brain cells to rub together. That in and of itself is reason for complaint.

Honestly though ,why would anyone of reasonable intellect want to ostracize people because of the motorcycle that they ride? Are people on this forum so full of contempt towards a company or memories from the "old days" that they would to embrace a mentality reminiscent of racists and their ilk ? Why practice the same "us vs them" type of stupidity that you claim to dislike from the HD heard crowd ? Seems both idiotic and hypocritical.
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #248
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
The bashing tends to say more about the basher than it does about HD riders. This is Adventure Rider , not some bullshit brand specific forum where we ,as a community, practice exclusion on those that ride an "unapproved" brand or bike. Most anti-bashing complaints stem from the fact that the HD riders frequenting this forum tend to be people that love bikes and enjoy adventure travel on motorcycles. To hear some moron spew out mindless drivel about who someone is without actually knowing them should, quite frankly, never be accepted and always spoken out against. the truth is that anyone that choosing to stereotype to such an extent typically doesn't have two brain cells to rub together. That in and of itself is reason for complaint.

Honestly though ,why would anyone of reasonable intellect want to ostraciztimeople because of the motorcycle that they ride? Are people on this forum so full of contempt towards a company or memories from the "old days" that they would to embrace a mentality reminiscent of racists and their ilk ? Why practice the same "us vs them" type of stupidity that you claim to dislike from the HD heard crowd ? Seems both idiotic and hypocritical.
For the same reason anyone who hasn't been a member here since before the time of Christ gets told not to post etc.
I think some people are easily intimidated and very insecure. (maybe that's why they need a whale foreskin suit to ride to the corner store)

personally, I've never met a motorcycle I didn't like.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #249
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:

Honestly though ,why would anyone of reasonable intellect want to ostracize people because of the motorcycle that they ride? Are people on this forum so full of contempt towards a company or memories from the "old days" that they would to embrace a mentality reminiscent of racists and their ilk ? Why practice the same "us vs them" type of stupidity that you claim to dislike from the HD heard crowd ? Seems both idiotic and hypocritical.
thanks, good to know ther's some clear thinking here.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #250
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,854
Quote:
My guess is that since the HD crowd obviously thinks that either you are riding a Harley or you aren't riding at all, its superiority sense is threatened by being outperformed by other marques. Passing them would be a demonstration of non-HD superiority so they can't permit that to occur./
Not it at all.

It's all about their "MC" and how it's "respected." Most aren't into that at all, but some are. There's even a local group of riders on Meetup.com who require "members" to go to an orientation ride, where they learn to ride close together and how to clock intersections from cars so the group stays together. Unshockingly, it was started by some cruiser riders. They really don't know any other way, but as mentioned, it's a small percentage of HD riders, who just happen to be highly visible.

That said, the whole HD lifestyle rider deal is too stupid for words.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 AM   #251
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,099
Quote:
There are about a million HD-centric forums for these guys to jerk each other off on, so maybe one of you disciples of the "Motor Company" can explain the appeal of hanging out here and whining about the anti-HD vibe.

HAHAHAH.... cause it beats the fuck out of riding their HD.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:47 AM   #252
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post

Thanks for understanding that the beef people have with HD riders does not include ALL HD riders. That said I do have to ask why the HD lifestyle is seen as stupid but the KTM , BMW , Duc, etc lifestyles are somehow seen as acceptable ? While I see it as a bit silly I can't shit all over it or call people stupid for their personal choices. Then again I think that the Aerostitch covered GS rider with flip up transformer helmets strapping a Kermit chair and the knee puck, chest armor clad Repsol Sportbike crews are equally silly but still, it is their choice and since I don't know them I see no need to make a judgement call on who they are as people. Why the double standard ? Doesn't such a blatant condemnatory and hypocritical mindset get tiresome ?

Short-ish story:

I was one a ride one morning and I stopped by a local motorcycle meetup spot for a cafe con leche before pushing on. While there an older couple from VA (or VT..It's been awhile) showed up on a couple of loaded BMW's (GS650 and GS1200a). I went over to chat with them about their trip and their bikes. While speaking with the older gentleman about how much I like BMW's and how he likes his Ohlins upgrade ,a couple of loud piped cruisers rolled in and I made a comment about not understanding the uber loud pipe phenomenon (by the way the bikes were a Star and a Honda). This sent the man into a rant about Harleys and their owners...."HD owners can't ride, don't ride past the local bar, ruin motorcycling for everyone..I hate HD riders,...yata,yata,yata.." I kind of chuckled at the stupidity of his little outburst. He then asks "What bike are you on?". I pointed and said "That black Harley over there." He glared at me with what can only be described as a look of disdain and immediately stopped speaking to me. The couple geared up and headed out. While leaving the lot the man's wife lost her footing and her GS650 fell on top of her. Myself and two other HD riders rushed over and got the bike off of her. I asked her if she was alright and spoke to her for a couple of minutes just to ensure that she was okay (she was very sweet by the way). By this time her husband had returned to the parking lot and took over. As I walked away I looked over my shoulder at the now larger group of HD riders that were trying to help calm her down and checking over her bike to make sure it was safe to ride. All I could think of was "Man Karma is a timely bitch. Funny how she can instantly swoop in just in time to make someone feel foolish." I can only hope that the grumpy old man on the GSA learned a little something from that experience.
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #253
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Not it at all.

It's all about their "MC" and how it's "respected." Most aren't into that at all, but some are. There's even a local group of riders on Meetup.com who require "members" to go to an orientation ride, where they learn to ride close together and how to clock intersections from cars so the group stays together. Unshockingly, it was started by some cruiser riders. They really don't know any other way, but as mentioned, it's a small percentage of HD riders, who just happen to be highly visible.

Back to loud pipes, I can't agree this is a small minority, but it encompasses not only HD riders but all cruiser addicts. I very rarely find a cruiser with reasonably loud pipes. These guys seem to be in a contest with each other to be more offensive than the other.

As to the percentage of HD riders who do the bunch up and ride as a pack, I can't say. I do think they harm our image in general. As silly as it may seem to we riders, I doubt Joe Citizen differentiates between an HD pack and me on my dual sport single 650.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 AM   #254
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
HAHAHAH.... cause it beats the fuck out of riding their HD.
/thread
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #255
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,599
Quote:
Why practice the same "us vs them" type of stupidity that you claim to dislike from the HD heard crowd ? Seems both idiotic and hypocritical.
Ummm because we're reflecting what gets put on us 'power rangers?'

I've heard 'get a real bike' more than a few times when packs of Hardley riders have been around.

I was threatened by one Hardley rider at a stop light for pulling up next to him 'in his lane.' Yeah, the dood got off his bike at a stoplight and came at me.

The 'too cool for school' and all the rest of that shit that Hardley riders try and convey is assinine.

...so you get the rest of us pointing and laughing at their antics while simultaneously getting pissed at the herds of rolling roadblocks doing less than the speed limit.

Now, get the Hardley riders WAY out in the country and most of those types of riders are actually RIDERS and as long as you're out there riding, they're cool. IME the closer you get to suburbia, the more of a douche the typical Hardley rider is.

So STFU noob and fetch me a beer!

M