ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #31
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I wouldn't say that the maintenance is too terrible. There is just a lot of stuff in the way, and it's a little intense, as far as the number of steps that have to be completed.

This is my second bike to a Victory Vision, compared to the KTM the Vision is virtually maintenance free, an oil change on the Vision takes 15 minuets, its a drain plug, filter, and fill. The oil change on the KTM takes 1.5 hours, you have to pull off the crash bars, or at least the left one, the bash plate, left upper fairing, left tank, then its two plugs, two screens, a filter. Reassemble, fill, let run, top off. Not hard, just takes time. I did install a hose to make the oil changes a lot easier next time, the only problem is I am do to check the valves on the next oil change.

I find the bike is a little finicky at times, there is a flat spot in the throttle around 2500 rpm, min a 10 and stock, its jumpy so keep your throttle inputs in check, but damn is it fun. I kind of wish I went for something with a shaft drive, but I'll live.

I haven't found a comfortable saddle for it yet, but maybe one day.
Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #32
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Im going to go take a look at this machine @ some point tomorrow. Its a 2012 990ADV Demo for a good price!
turnitonagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #33
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitonagain View Post
Im going to go take a look at this machine @ some point tomorrow. Its a 2012 990ADV Demo for a good price!
I bought a 2007 demo bike. I was afraid that the break in might not have been so gentle. However with all those hi rev demo rides on my bike the rings sure were seated well, doesnt use a drop of oil in 4000 miles.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #34
katanarama
riding > posting

Oddometer: 182
awesome photos CM.

katanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #35
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,885
When you make the deal on the bike, I suggest you try to buy enough parts to maintain the bike for a year or so and buy them at dealer cost. I've found most dealers will go for it. "I'll take the bike, but I'd like you to sell me a one time parts order at your cost". Get a W.P. seal kit, oil filters, one air filter, maybe even a fuel filter kit, tires, more tires, tubes. I ordered a pair of hubs, disk brakes, and built up a set of 19/17" wheels.

Riding two up, get a custom seat and some type of back rest for the passenger, like a trunk. Goes a long way for comfort. Also, the 19/17 wheels work great on the street.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #36
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,553
I work as a motorcycle mechanic by trade.
When people say the big KTM is hard to work on, they are comparing it to a singer cylinder dirt bike, or maybe the BMW where most of the engine is outside the bike.
Sure, you do have to strip the tanks off on the 9x0 for most work, but once you do, everything is easy to get at.
For an oil change on my bike, I don't remove the tanks.

I suck the oil out of the tank with the oil extractor. http://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-q...tor-46149.html
Remove the oil drain bolt and drop the rest of the out of the bottom of the engine.
Remove the two bolts and lower down the skid plate.
I then remove the two bolts and remove the oil filter cap, keeping a big gulp cup under it to catch any extra oil.
Clean area, install new filter, reinstall cap.
Raise up skid plate and reinstall bolts.
Then add oil like normal.

The two screen are there to save the engine in case of something catastrophic going wrong, in the case of the one under the engine. And the screen in the oil tank is to prevent sucking anything down that happen to have fallen in the tank. You don't have to check and clean them every time. On my bike, I only do it when I do major service, like the valve check.

As for valve checks, once you have the tanks and carbs/throttle bodies off, access to the valves is easy. Most other street bikes make this very hard with tight clearances around the valve covers. It makes it very difficult to even see the valves, and getting in a feeler gauge near imposable. KTM does put some thought into the maintenance of their bikes.

KTM is designed different then the Japanese brands. And as such, many shops that are used to the Japanese style, have a hard time with the KTM. I maybe see 1 KTM (of any model) a month in my shop, but many Japaneses and even Chinese brands. I think that's why so many KTMs are serviced poorly and have a reputation of poor reliability.

BMW's are different too. What should be simple and obvious on a BMW, is seldom that. It's like they designed it from scratch, never looking to see how every other motorcycle on the planet does it and that it might be the way to go.

And I never understood Harley's. it's like they don't believe in using computers to design stuff. Instead they go to a well stocked hardware store and see what they can find to make a piston out of.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #37
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
When you make the deal on the bike, I suggest you try to buy enough parts to maintain the bike for a year or so and buy them at dealer cost. I've found most dealers will go for it. "I'll take the bike, but I'd like you to sell me a one time parts order at your cost". Get a W.P. seal kit, oil filters, one air filter, maybe even a fuel filter kit, tires, more tires, tubes. I ordered a pair of hubs, disk brakes, and built up a set of 19/17" wheels.

Riding two up, get a custom seat and some type of back rest for the passenger, like a trunk. Goes a long way for comfort. Also, the 19/17 wheels work great on the street.
Yes I will be getting a trunk not only for pileon but I commute daily so I also need a place for my Lunch .
Is there a stainless steel oil filter available for the 990 ? I have one in my KLR and it seemed to work out well - I was thinking about a second set of wheels for street / dirt set up ! I may have to get a price on those .
Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #38
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post
Yes I will be getting a trunk not only for pileon but I commute daily so I also need a place for my Lunch .
Is there a stainless steel oil filter available for the 990 ? I have one in my KLR and it seemed to work out well - I was thinking about a second set of wheels for street / dirt set up ! I may have to get a price on those .
The givi/KTM trunk is large but junk the will crack on the first ride.
The KTM Gobi is more better.
The aloo-mini-um Jesse trunk is the bomb.
Ann I'd you're worried about lunch most 990 riders are fed solely through internal rage.

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #39
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Well I talked to the dealer today about some parts (on the phone) .
It seems there is no Stainless oil filter available ? The parts guy gave me a price on the oil tank screen thinking it was for the engine .
$20 oil filter element ? I was kinda suprised on that -
Guess I'll be looking for a parts supplier altough the sales guy did say something about 15% discount with purchase .

Internal rage ..........maybe alittle
Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #40
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post
It seems there is no Stainless oil filter available ? The parts guy gave me a price on the oil tank screen thinking it was for the engine .
$20 oil filter element ?
Time to get a new parts guy. There is a Scotts Stainless available for the 990/950. Look here, http://www.ktmtwins.com/scotts-ktm-9...lc8-oil-filter

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #41
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

SWEET !!!!

I kinda figured if I could find one for the KLR there had to be one for the 990 .

I have no idea how these guys will be for parts . I have never delt with them . Im hoping it will work out .

I plan to ride the crap out of it !
Old 11-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #42
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,757
For parts, I suggest becoming a lifetime member of KTMtalk and ordering parts through Munn via the "shop online" button at KTMtalk's site.

The membership costs 100 (I think).

The discount is significant- I've saved many hundreds beyond the cost of the membership. Munn is a high-volume dealer who carries a large inventory- I've never had a backorder. Helpful on the phone, and know all the pitfalls (like slightly different clutch plates from Rekluse/non Rekluse RFS motors etc. Odd bits like that.

Sometimes local dealers will discount parts, but rarely and they usually don't have the knowledge Munn does.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #43
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
I'll make you a sweet deal on some KTM Gobi cases and removable racks...

They're low maintenance so it fits with the thread. I promise.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #44
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the heads up on parts !

I joined KTMtalk acouple weeks ago but haven't been able to do much looking around it yet .

The Givi cases possible ? I am planing on leaving the dealership with a trunk ! I have to have that for now ......
Well maybe shoot me a PM with some info . I have no idea what Im looking at yet . Ive been playing hell with some paper work issues due to the aftermath of Sally blowing thru my area .

Finally looks like Ill be bringing the 990 home this weekend !!!! Yee Haaa
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #45
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Maintance Reports ???

I keep reading how maintance records are a big part of the resale value on these bikes . I have no plan to sell and keep my own records BUT .

I see in the owners manual it states to report maintance to ktmdealers.net I am guessing that this is a dealers only network since I am not having any luck in finding such a usable site ..........

Is it just personal records these guys are looking for when shopping for used bikes ???

Thanks

Also I am in the midst of wiring in a 6 circut fuse panel for body warmers , lights , gps what ever I can think of this winter any suggestions ???

Small farkles so far ~ fork air bleaders , snorkel removal foam airfilter & frame protectors for boot rash .

Thanks again