Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #3781
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,153
I bought a DR650 that the PO said the brakes were new, "Just put them on prior to the previous ride". Well I don't know how long the previous ride was but they were toast. ie. The PO word might not mean anything.
Regardless, at least you can fix the problem easy.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #3782
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,631
Coulda picked up a rock and c racked/stressed a link then on said day Kapowie! As it was, easy fix and glad it wasn't more.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #3783
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 272
Im still stumped at running a steep hill in 4th gear.
Im happy to hear it was something simple and you didnt bust a case when the chain came off.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #3784
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Earlier this year tried the Jardines RT4 exhaust on the bike but was unhappy with the volume even with the quiet insert. Rode it one time then took it off and put the stock unit back on. Had a chance this weekend to look at it with the idea of making it quieter. Took one steel wool pad and pushed it into the spark arrestor then took multiple pieces of fine mesh wire fencing and filled the rest and used it to hold the steel wool in place. Sound is now acceptable to me, much deeper than the stock but not loud. Jetting seems spot on with the .22 cent mod. I tried it with three steel wool pads but that was too much, backed up sounding, tried two but one was the magic number. Will keep checking to see if the steel wool holds together or not. With the new exhaust and the Li-ion battery you deduct about 17 pounds from the pig. Now I need to do my part and deduct 17 pounds from me!

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #3785
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
While the clutch is pretty robust on the KLR it can get glazed/burned if abused too much. If your level adjustment suddenly changes while slipping its time to back off...
My throttle/speed control issues are fortunately not the clutch. It's the trail. And the carb. And the operator. The spruce/fir duff changes texture constantly and the bike floats on parts then sinks into a sponge that takes a good bit of power. And it's all covered in needles and leaves so it's impossible to tell what kind of power is needed just ahead.

At the same time the exhaust was popping a bit on closed throttle (on the road) so I richened up the idle mixture.

EDIT: I'm not sure why the spruce/fir duff is more difficult for me than a rocky, murky water crossing. For water I can usually maintain the same moderate pace no matter what I hit below the surface. For duff, bogging in a hole and powering out then flings me forward. Both situations are about unseen obstacles. The 16t countersprocket isn't a problem on rocks. It's great on the highway. I'll see how the trail firms up in the next month or so.

Grinnin screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 12:21 PM
Grinnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #3786
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
Anyone running a 16t front sprocket with a 44t rear and if so how do you like it?

Thanks......
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #3787
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Stock rear sprocket, larger diameter rear tire, 16t front and I really like it.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #3788
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,987
16/45, because I couldn't get a 46. It's a little too tall, but not bad. At least it's an easy swap to a 14t. I tried 16/43 once before, and thought it a complete waste of time.

The taller gearing might be okay with clubman bars, or even a Triumph Euro bend, but the aerodynamic profile of this bike is all wrong for tall gearing.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #3789
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,718
That's why you can only take what's stated here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
16/45, because I couldn't get a 46. It's a little too tall, but not bad. At least it's an easy swap to a 14t. I tried 16/43 once before, and thought it a complete waste of time.

The taller gearing might be okay with clubman bars, or even a Triumph Euro bend, but the aerodynamic profile of this bike is all wrong for tall gearing.
at face value and why I advocate people try things for themselves. 16/43 works great for me. I commute 110 miles round trip on my bike but it's still functional off road as long as it doesn't get to technical. That's my ride and what works for me doesn't neccesarily work for everyone else. You have to experiment for yourselve to find what REALLY works for you.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #3790
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,278
Quote:

Jud, you realize that the stock setup is 15/43 (2.87), right?

Your gearing of 16/45 is 2.81, whereas 16/43 is 2.69. I'm not sure why you were aiming for 16/46 (2.88) because that is basically equivalent to stock. But, if you're like me and swap in the 14T for dirt duty, then I agree it's probably a good choice.

One thing I've found with doing this with a 14,16/48 combo is that I can't remove/install the 16T counter sprocket without taking out the rear axle. Complicates things and adds time. I even have a 110 link (IIRC) chain. Can you do this swap with stock chain (106 links) and without removing the axle?

And I agree with your aerodynamic statement.

Check out PBI for numerous options for KLR sprockets. They are aluminum, but I've had good results with them. Hard to find those odd sizes in steel. http://shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc?productId=281
Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #3791
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Jud, you realize that the stock setup is 15/43 (2.87), right?

Your gearing of 16/45 is 2.81, whereas 16/43 is 2.69. I'm not sure why you were aiming for 16/46 (2.88) because that is basically equivalent to stock. But, if you're like me and swap in the 14T for dirt duty, then I agree it's probably a good choice.

One thing I've found with doing this with a 14,16/48 combo is that I can't remove/install the 16T counter sprocket without taking out the rear axle. Complicates things and adds time. I even have a 110 link (IIRC) chain. Can you do this swap with stock chain (106 links) and without removing the axle?

And I agree with your aerodynamic statement.

Check out PBI for numerous options for KLR sprockets. They are aluminum, but I've had good results with them. Hard to find those odd sizes in steel. http://shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc?productId=281
You are right on the money for shooting for 16/46: almost the same as stock, and an easy 2-tooth drop with a 14t chainwheel. I use 108 links with 16/45, and don't have to pull the rear axle.

I use only steel sprockets. My KTM came with aluminum: Gone in Sixty Seconds. I won't go that route again.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #3792
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Quote:

16/43 works good for me. If I plan on doing anything aggressive I slip on this.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #3793
FJracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
Im still stumped at running a steep hill in 4th gear.
Im happy to hear it was something simple and you didnt bust a case when the chain came off.
Good point! Be stumped no more; it was 3rd gear.
FJracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #3794
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron31 View Post
Who out there has thoroughly tested their crash bars? Just wondering what everyone's experiences have been. Seems like the 2 big ones are the sw motechs and the happy trails pd kit. I think givi also released some as well. They all look great brand new but what about after a couple offs? Any bending? Tweaking? Fitment issues? I just don't want to waste the money on something that's going to go to crap the first nap it takes.

I have been down twice with the SW Motech crash bars on my 2011 and not sustained any damage to either the bars or plastics. The crash bars fit very well and were easily installed in a short afternoon with help from a friend who had installed a set on his KLR last year.

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #3795
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Those pics remind me why I hate mud and am glad I live in a place that is mostly free of any.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote