Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #31306
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by coresports View Post
Originally Posted by StG
Old Crow - I already have a skid plate & handguards. Do most of you put on radiator guards - I'm not sure if I read some people having heating issues? Living in the SW desert, the roads/trails can get a bit rocky, but also pretty darn hot.

if i remember right it, there was a post about the flatlands possibly causing overheating and in my 'upgrade wish list' i have the moose racing guard down for the winter upgrade season. i tried the thread search & google without much luck looking for the earlier post but i am no computer wiz to be sure, haha
I experienced some overheating on my WR250R this past summer right after I installed the Flatlands plate. Granted I was loaded for touring, it was hot and I was in Utah. The overheating light would come on while at speed, but slowing down it would go off. I suspected that it was restricting the airflow a bit too much in those conditions.

I replaced the coolant with Engine Ice, and have not gotten the light to come on again (5 or 6 rides since then). If it does, next step is to remove some more material from the guard to allow some more air movement. The light never came on for me when I was moving slow, even with high RPM's on more technical stuff.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #31307
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer: 182
Athena 290 Question

Has anyone installed a 290 cc kit and had the crank balanced? Seems to me this would require adding weight to the crank to off set the heavier piston.

I got to ride a 290 cc kitted bike. It was geared lower than my stock gearing. It was difficult to feel any difference in power due to the lower gearing. I think the stock gearing is just right for any place I ride,

What I did feel was low frequency vibration in the pegs and some in the bars. When I got back on my stock bike, I noticed was how silky smooth the ride is. I like silky smooth!

I don't have to tell you, the faithful, how capable the little bike that could is. My lust for power has been in the back of my mind. I got incentive to follow up after a 50 mi. sprint via slab. It's not normal to long haul slab the little bike, but this is real life. At the end of a long day your looking for the short line back home. The long day read 253 miles on my ODO. The GPS read 230, 250 sounds better! Down shift to 5th and WFO in a heavy cross wind. In my road racers crouch, I had problems passing motorhomes going close to the posted 70 MPH speed limit. The wind gusts would drop my speed 2 to 4 MPH. The kitted WR just walked away. DAMN!

A larger displacement big brother, from Yamaha, would cause my cheap ass to run out and buy a new one ASAP.Hurry up Yamaha before I'm to old to care. I really don't want to get rid of the WR. I like the silky smooth do anything except slab in heavy winds little bike. In the mean time, I started looking for another bike with some cc's. A few extra FT LBS of torque sure wouldn't hurt.

06 FJR1300 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start Project 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights - 2013 BMW F800GT 03 GasGas 280 Pro
mikeysduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #31308
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
I am not convinced the pump has been improved. I proactively installed a new "improved" pump in mine and it failed after 4000 miles. I reinstalled my "suspect" early 2008 pump and it is working fine at the moment.
I don't think it is improved either. My guess is that Yam is just rolling the dice and hoping for the best. Fair to point out that other mfgs. are having problems as well. Mark Sampson [big dog] is on his third pump, they seem to go ~17k for him.

I have a 2008, and replaced the pump with a new one in 2009, sold the take-out to "Skierd" , I think he has run it 30k miles or something without trouble. My replacement pump fell off it's perch in some nasty switchbacks out in the woods, but has been symptom free since [???] it's not just a 2008 problem, and replacment is not a garantee of no more problems.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #31309
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,457
More 2008 bikes sold =more issues with 2008 pumps. Kinda makes sense? Rydnseek & I both have 08's. I think he is over 15,000 & I am over 10,000 with no issues. Very random & no real common reason on the failures? Hot here in AZ. I have the Safari tank on mine since I bought it used with about 800 miles & Rydnseek has the big IMS. I am doing a 4 day solo trip, Prescott to Laughlin, Laughlin to Barstow on the Mojave Trail & back in two weeks on the WR. Would be a real bummer if it craps out on the ride but life goes on. If I don't post for a while I am in the desert with a non working fuel pump
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #31310
DefyInertia
Saratogian

Oddometer: 153
Spare pump...

I was hoping for the added convenience of making the tank swap fast. I like to hit the local motard track occasionally and the thought of low siding on my expensive IMS 4.7 is concerning me a bit.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #31311
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,360
Small world...

Oh yes, it was certainly an epic journey for us. That was one awesome week of riding I won't soon forget.

As it turned out, nearly 2 months later, district attorney dropped the charge against our riding buddy, so he's no longer considered a fugitive in the State of Colorado, and he'll be able to go back when we do it all over again in a year or two.

Snow already? Holy shite !!! We haven't even got snow in Canada yet (well, not in the southern parts, at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1isbest View Post
Hey I am one of the "dudes" you guys saw at the bar near moffet tunnel. :) Did not realize this was one of those epic journeys. Too bad about the freaking cop crap. We are very fortunate to be able to ride in this terrain on day trips, but now the snow has covered everything up.
Friday we head to the pawnee national grasslands for some sand and canyon riding in NE Colorado.
Cheers!
Bob

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #31312
NeilW
SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer: 85
My Safari tank makes a darn good radiator guard, proven many times. Part of the cost justification for the big tank was radiator protection. The stock, plastic "guard" seems to be working and allows good airflow. I cut a couple of holes on the back of the fan shroud, maybe that aids flow. Some people say they feel extra heat with that mod. I wear riding pants so not a problem. If I was riding behind other bikes and getting roosted a lot, maybe I would need more substantial protection, but I don't ride like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coresports View Post
Originally Posted by StG
Old Crow - I already have a skid plate & handguards. Do most of you put on radiator guards - I'm not sure if I read some people having heating issues? Living in the SW desert, the roads/trails can get a bit rocky, but also pretty darn hot.

if i remember right it, there was a post about the flatlands possibly causing overheating and in my 'upgrade wish list' i have the moose racing guard down for the winter upgrade season. i tried the thread search & google without much luck looking for the earlier post but i am no computer wiz to be sure, haha
'08 WR250R
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
NeilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #31313
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
It seems more prevalent with the 08's but some have reported issues with 09's and with replacement pumps as well.

My guess is that the only thing that has changed is either the supplier (oem) or the quality control forced on the supplier but not the design itself. The pump is used on several different manufacturer's models and random but infrequent failure is a common theme.
I have looked but cannot find any info as to whether bikes which see pump failures are mainly

a) modified with exhaust FMF, airbox etc. and so running a great deal more fuel

b) run the tank dry often, or at least low

c) ridden mostly very hard and/or heavily loaded

d) all of the above.

Reason I am asking is I was wondering if a bike had no major engine mods, rider wasn't really beating the bike up much, never runs the tank dry, would they have zero chance of failure or 1/2 or what? It may be that the pump capacity is very near its limit on a WOT stock engine, and when pushed via mods or excess heat or thrashing whatever, it pukes. Not making excuses it just seems no one has come up with the failure modes and probable causes from my reading up on it. Has not happened to my 08 bike yet but I am pretty easy on it, have other bikes for beating up.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #31314
indypup
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,073
I've had the fuel pump on my '08 over heat a couple of times. Both times were when I let the fuel level get low w/light on while riding slowly in the woods. I just waited a while for it to cool down and it started working again. I just try not to let the fuel level get too low now.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #31315
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
I have looked but cannot find any info as to whether bikes which see pump failures are mainly

d) all of the above.
The only one of those factors that would effect the pump itself is (b). Modifications and riding style make no difference, the pump is either on or off, not variable. Hot climates (or running hot) could be a factor as well.

This is quite common with FI dirt bikes though. A small amount of fuel (which acts as fuel pump coolant), mixed with lots of heat (stuck/slow riding), is going to be bad on a fuel pump, period. Regardless of bike/brand etc.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #31316
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,724
I'm one of the other dudes riding with thump.

You guys looked like you were having some fun. The stage coach stop was a really cool place.

I remember one of you guys running some version of a trials tire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1isbest View Post
Hey I am one of the "dudes" you guys saw at the bar near moffet tunnel. :) Did not realize this was one of those epic journeys. Too bad about the freaking cop crap. We are very fortunate to be able to ride in this terrain on day trips, but now the snow has covered everything up.
Friday we head to the pawnee national grasslands for some sand and canyon riding in NE Colorado.
Cheers!
Bob
Old 10-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #31317
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post

d) all of the above.

Reason I am asking is I was wondering if a bike had no major engine mods, rider wasn't really beating the bike up much, never runs the tank dry, would they have zero chance of failure or 1/2 or what? It may be that the pump capacity is very near its limit on a WOT stock engine, and when pushed via mods or excess heat or thrashing whatever, it pukes. Not making excuses it just seems no one has come up with the failure modes and probable causes from my reading up on it. Has not happened to my 08 bike yet but I am pretty easy on it, have other bikes for beating up.
d) maybe any or all of the above instead?

how many bikes that don't meet one or more of these causes have failed? i think the poster is onto something. yamaha builds some of the highest quality bikes out there and the biggest variables are the riders & locations.
disclaimer: i do not work for or have any relatives that work for yamaha ....ive just been a rider/fan for 40 years!
coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #31318
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post

As it turned out, nearly 2 months later, district attorney dropped the charge against our riding buddy, so he's no longer considered a fugitive in the State of Colorado, and he'll be able to go back when we do it all over again in a year or two.
Well now I have to read this trip report!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #31319
NeilW
SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer: 85
fuel pump cooling

Heat seems to be the most common denominator. While ambient heat could factor in, the engine is a lot hotter than the air and the fuel tank is right on top of that heat source. I think the small, stock, steel fuel tanks exacerbate the problem, especially with low fuel levels. When I removed the stock tank to replace it with the Safari, I noticed all the insulation on the stock tank and thought that was a good idea. So I insulated my Safari tank.

The advantage for fuel pump life with the Safari (and presumably with the large IMS too) isn't so much the extra capacity, because most of the additional fuel is carried below the pump, but the the secondary pump that lifts the fuel from the tank wings. The secondary pump is always spraying fuel onto the fuel pump (to fill its little draw reservoir). I think this helps to cool the pump. That and I generally keep the tank more than half full...at least the first half of the ride.

My '08 bike is on the original pump with over 11,000 miles, half of which are off-pavement. I have a brand new fuel pump sitting on the shelf because my bike is in the cursed zone, but I'm not going to pre-emptively replace it. I'll wait till I get stranded in the boonies just to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
The only one of those factors that would effect the pump itself is (b). Modifications and riding style make no difference, the pump is either on or off, not variable. Hot climates (or running hot) could be a factor as well.

This is quite common with FI dirt bikes though. A small amount of fuel (which acts as fuel pump coolant), mixed with lots of heat (stuck/slow riding), is going to be bad on a fuel pump, period. Regardless of bike/brand etc.
'08 WR250R
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
NeilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #31320
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,749
Check out High Five's site, and posts on ADV. Should be some info for you.

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysduck View Post
Has anyone installed a 290 cc kit and had the crank balanced? Seems to me this would require adding weight to the crank to off set the heavier piston.

I got to ride a 290 cc kitted bike. It was geared lower than my stock gearing. It was difficult to feel any difference in power due to the lower gearing. I think the stock gearing is just right for any place I ride,

What I did feel was low frequency vibration in the pegs and some in the bars. When I got back on my stock bike, I noticed was how silky smooth the ride is. I like silky smooth!

I don't have to tell you, the faithful, how capable the little bike that could is. My lust for power has been in the back of my mind. I got incentive to follow up after a 50 mi. sprint via slab. It's not normal to long haul slab the little bike, but this is real life. At the end of a long day your looking for the short line back home. The long day read 253 miles on my ODO. The GPS read 230, 250 sounds better! Down shift to 5th and WFO in a heavy cross wind. In my road racers crouch, I had problems passing motorhomes going close to the posted 70 MPH speed limit. The wind gusts would drop my speed 2 to 4 MPH. The kitted WR just walked away. DAMN!

A larger displacement big brother, from Yamaha, would cause my cheap ass to run out and buy a new one ASAP.Hurry up Yamaha before I'm to old to care. I really don't want to get rid of the WR. I like the silky smooth do anything except slab in heavy winds little bike. In the mean time, I started looking for another bike with some cc's. A few extra FT LBS of torque sure wouldn't hurt.