Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #91
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunewar View Post
This is what i got now. So no need for new suggestions, the choice is made. I will make a new thread with a first review of the bike. Oh and : my wife doesn't ride, not herself and not pillion.

Four wheels good, two wheels better
I am amazed you got such a clean bike for only $900. I would be suspicious it was stolen or something. Congrats!
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #92
Dunewar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I am amazed you got such a clean bike for only $900. I would be suspicious it was stolen or something. Congrats!
Nono, for 3600
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #93
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,816
Quote:
Nono, for 3600
And it came with a BMW for your wife? (post #83)

Heck; even if the bike cost $3,600 by itself, it seems like a deal for a liter bike that clean.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #94
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
And it came with a BMW for your wife? (post #83)

Heck; even if the bike cost $3,600 by itself, it seems like a deal for a liter bike that clean.
Sheesh, people. He traded $900 cash, plus his BMW (valued at $2700) -- total $3600 value -- for the FZ. Crikey.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (233,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #95
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,780
You'll put your eye out, kid!

Congrats on the new ride.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #96
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Actually, one way I made buying a v. fast bike OK with my wife was taking out a term life insurance policy for $3 million. She just laughed and said "Ride your ass off!"
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #97
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,931
A BMW r1200r. Bags and a screen with shaft drive, nobody calls it a sport bike. But on the street in the twisties? Yep.

You're welcome.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #98
Dunewar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
A BMW r1200r. Bags and a screen with shaft drive, nobody calls it a sport bike. But on the street in the twisties? Yep.

You're welcome.
If you read back a couple of posts, you will see that i bought a fazer 1000...
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #99
totomoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
If you stop calling her (or thinking of her as) THE WIFEY, you won't have any issues. Do you guys actually think that your wives or S.O.s never read this forum?
totomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #100
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,931
Quote:
If you read back a couple of posts, you will see that i bought a fazer 1000...
Sweet.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #101
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
Quote:
I know I know...lame title. I'm sure all the studs here in ADVrider have no concerned wife and if they did they would kick her to the curb in no time, red flags etc...

For those that are still reading : I'm selling my R1100GS and I want to go to a more sportier bike. My dream ride is a 929 fireblade (for no rational reasons) actually.

But my wife has put a firm rule : no sportsbikes. And she is strict on that. Since I started riding motorbikes after I met her, I kinda agreed to that rule. In fact, she bought me an introduction session to motorcycling as a birthday present with the words "but should you want to continue this, NO SPORTSBIKES".... So basically I got into motorcycling with this condition.

I know, half of the replies will be : "you are a doormat", and I don't care. Because I love my wife and I want to consider her opinion. She does a marvelous job caring for our daughter and me, and I don't want her mad/concerned every time I go out riding.

That in mind, I am a firm believer you can get into trouble with any motorcycle, not just sportsbikes. And the forward riding position somehow agrees with my back and makes me feel very comfortable. And I'm also convinced that the limit of motorcycling outside a racetrack is not decided by the bike, but by the biker and even more so by the circumstances. Forget apexes, racing lines, etc... but think clear lines of sight, road surface, traffic.

So I would not ride any differently on a fireblade than on my GS (or the kawa I had before). Last organised roadtrip I joined a pack consisting of a BMW S1000rr, a F800s, a kawa Z1000, and I decided to abandon them halfway because they were too slow for me. I ride my own tempo no matter what, no matter the bike or the pack.

But how do I make this clear to my wife? She is convinced that a sportsbike makes you go 10 times as fast as you should, and that buying one is planning for suicide. Any arguments I can use? Any experiences? Something? Her comeback is : "but you have a young child, you shouldn't put yourself in danger like that!". Hard to argue with an emotional statement like that, but any input?

Oh and no, I'm not quitting bikes because of my children. They need a sane dad, and motorcycles help keep me sane.
You do ride faster on sportbikes and yes you would ride differently than on a GS. You can reach the limits of a GS quicker and be just as much of a twat on one but TBH sportbikes - IOW - anything over 100 bhp on the road is useless. Sportbikes are just getting started where the GS finishes and their suspension etc work much better at higher speeds. Many are boring where the GS shines.

The Fireblade is a good choice being the most road worthy of sportbikes but it is comparatively useless.

Ultimately the wife is looking out for you / kids. Maybe it isn't the bike so much as you. Most women or men I know who have issues with their spouses / SO on bikes is more about how the spouse / SO rides than the bike itself.

Maybe she had a friend etc who had a sportbike. Young males are dumb and many a woman I know refuse to get on my sportbike after riding one when younger and some idiot going crazy on it with them on the back. That would leave a lasting negative impression.

I've ridden bikes for over 22 yrs and with all the options out there if my SO was accepting of certain models over others I am sure I could find a compromise.

Want something sporty but not a sport-bike. Get a KTM Duke or 950SM or the Ducati Hypermotard etc. All the sportbike flavour without the wife pissed off. Plenty of other options out there.

Edit: I see you bought a Fazer... exactly my point. Good for you.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #102
RevZilla
Best on Two Wheels!

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
But how do I make this clear to my wife?
We crowd sourced some ideas on this a few weeks ago... Maybe one of these responses will give you some perspective!

-- Chris, TeamZilla

Infographic by RevZilla

RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A
RevZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #103
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Get a KTM 950 SM, a 990 Superduke or a Triumph Speed Triple. They don't exactly look like a sport bike, but they go like one. Maybe she won't notice?

Speedy 3 isnt a sportbike...

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #104
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,085
Quote:

This is what i got now. So no need for new suggestions, the choice is made. I will make a new thread with a first review of the bike. Oh and : my wife doesn't ride, not herself and not pillion.

Four wheels good, two wheels better
right on man.....I wonder if you're going to prefer it to the GS though....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #105
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
Late on this thread but LOVE the first gen FZ1
Should have never gotten rid of mine