User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,929
help with garmin zumo 660, trying to import colrut, cenrut etc...won't acknowledge

help with garmin zumo 660, trying to import colrut, cenrut etc...won't acknowledge

i had my zumo 550 exchanged for the 660, i rode south america last year and not a problem loading maps, i just put them on a SD card and the unit recognised them and they showed on the screen

right now i am back in mexico (i have garmin mexico loaded by online download) but heading into Belize today and the rest of CA next week and needs these maps to show

i have tried...

putting info on card - nothing
putting info in GPX file and doing a rename to see if it shows - nothing

it is the same name as a file already in there gmapsupp.imp, does it need to replace that file?

any help would be much appriciated
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post

i had my zumo 550 exchanged for the 660, i rode south america last year and not a problem loading maps, i just put them on a SD card and the unit recognised them and they showed on the screen

right now i am back in mexico (i have garmin mexico loaded by online download) but heading into Belize today and the rest of CA next week and needs these maps to show

i have tried...

putting info on card - nothing
putting info in GPX file and doing a rename to see if it shows - nothing

it is the same name as a file already in there gmapsupp.imp, does it need to replace that file?

any help would be much appriciated
If you have a computer and the Garmin compatible install file for the maps you want to use, you can install them and then use Garmin MapInstall to install the maps onto your zumo660. The zumo660 can have two map files the unit will index. Both of the files will be named gmapsupp.img. One of these files can be installed to internal storage and the other to the µSD Card. Both are located in the zumo660\Garmin\ directory. Both of these files can have multiple map products compiled in them. MapInstall will do this for you and with a µSD card in the zumo, it will load the second gmapsupp.img file to the µSD card.

If you don't have a computer with MapInstall and BaseCamp go to a NetCafe and download the IMG file for the map product you want to use and then rename it to gmapsupp.img and save it to the µSD Card\Garmin\ folder. You could use internal storage but you will quickly run out of space so use the µSD Card.

On the road with no computer, the best access to maps of the world is via OSM for Garmin. You can obtain these maps in IMG format using a NetCafe browser (as long as they allow large downloads). It just might take a little time but once you down load the IMG file just save it to your zumo\µSDCard\Garmin\ folder as gmapsupp.img.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

i did get it figured out, all i needed to do was save the file to my computer then delete it off the Garmin, then upload the new map to the unit, and then move it to the GPX file, for some reason it didn't work if i put directly into the gpx file, seems a long way around but it works, well kind of Cenrut maps in Belize kind of suck in some areas, but the real life views are great...

check 'em out here...http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809883
Old 10-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
tysonlee
n00b

Oddometer: 1
tysonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
dakrause
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Have you checked the english instructions on the Cenrut site?
Here they are: http://www.cenrut.org/adw/over.htm
dakrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrause View Post
Have you checked the english instructions on the Cenrut site?
Here they are: http://www.cenrut.org/adw/over.htm
i got them to show a few weeks back, forgot to update this thread...