User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
James Adams OP
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,243
Stelvio != dirt bike

Repeat after me: "the Stelvio is not a dirt bike".

Pictures first, because I know that's what you all want to see.

The bags are pretty beat up and I have to replace the left-side mirror and handlebar controls and the windshield, but there were no injuries to me and I was able to ride the bike 250+ miles back home without any major issues.

This all happened in August; I posted about it on the Stelvio megathread in Beasts, but I felt like I should post it here as well. Keep in mind that most of this was written two months ago:

Quote:
I was going nicely down the jeep trail on a relatively boulder-free line that was on the side with a steep drop-off. I grabbed a little bit too much front brake (ABS was off) and the front wheel tucked and off it went. The bike snagged in the trees so it didn't tumble down the ravine or anything.

I, on the other hand, went tumbling down the slope. Thankfully there weren't many rocks and I was able to catch a tree to stop my slide after a few hairy seconds. The bike's throttle was pinned wide open with the horn blaring (with the bike upside-down) until I was able to clamber up and hit the kill switch.

I was sore the next day, but otherwise unharmed, and no damage was done to my helmet or any other gear. FWIW, I was wearing a Nolan T43E Trilogy helmet, a FirstGear Kilimanjaro Air (mesh) jacket, Cortech mesh gloves, Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 pants, and some old BMW Airflow boots.

The bike was sitting upside-down for an hour or so while we secured it and figured out how to right it, so some oil about 1.5 quarts of oil leaked out through the air filter. It didn't appear to be leaking any gas. We let the bike sit upright for 15 minutes or so before we tried to start it, and when we did fire it up, it started without any hesitation. The oil level was on the low side, but still acceptable, so none was added (though I did carry some with me just in case a leak became evident).

The initial impact didn't break anything except bend the windshield and bang up the aluminum TraX bags. While we were winching it out (with 3 big quads ), the left-hand mirror mount (which is part of the master cylinder), left-hand handguard, and left-hand switch cluster were all broken. The clutch lever was unscathed, though I had already installed aftermarket "shorty" levers--I think that if it were the stock lever, it would have been damaged. In addition, the brackets holding the factory auxiliary lights were bent, but the lights were still functional. The handlebars were not bent at all. None of the plastic fairing pieces or the tank were cracked or damaged beyond a little scuffing.

The small Pelican topcase stayed securely attached and closed through the whole ordeal, though it no longer seals and only one latch works now. Even though the windshield sprung back to mildly resemble its original shape, it is a bit tweaked, and I will be replacing it with one of the CalSci shorty screens I replaced it with a CalSci "NTX Medium" screen.

I'm really impressed with the sturdiness and durability of the bike. I was way over my head coming down that road--had I known what I was getting myself into, I would not have gone that way. I fully realize that I was incredibly fortunate in this incident as it could have been much, much worse (e.g., the bike could have tumbled down the slope and squashed me).
I have since repaired the bike and yesterday was the first day since the incident that I've been back on it (lots of KTM foolery in the meantime). It's good to be riding it again.

James Adams screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 02:39 PM Reason: spelling
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
Awesome!! haha
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Holy damn! That bad of a looking tumble, and so little damage? Wow! Go, Moto Guzzi!

EFI or carbs? Ran upside down for so long? How is that possible, really? If EFI, I'm amazed, as don't they all (EFI equipped motorcycles in general, all my injected Honda's have always been tip over proof) have a device to specifically prevent this? If carbed, they run uside down?! Sweet!

Glad you did not get folded spindled or mutilated in this endeavor as well.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
James Adams OP
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
EFI or carbs? Ran upside down for so long? How is that possible, really? If EFI, I'm amazed, as don't they all (EFI equipped motorcycles in general, all my injected Honda's have always been tip over proof) have a device to specifically prevent this?
EFI. I don't know specifically of a tip-over fuel cutoff on this bike. If it had one, it clearly didn't operate as I would have expected. But hey, it's Italian.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
EFI. I don't know specifically of a tip-over fuel cutoff on this bike. If it had one, it clearly didn't operate as I would have expected. But hey, it's Italian.
Funny thats what my wife has said about me,
it clearly didn't operate as I would have expected. But hey, it's Italian.
Thats how you ride a Stelvio!!!
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
uechi58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
With all those people hanging around, you couldn't upright the thing before dragging it out? You did more damage after the crash! Looks the a bunch of highway workers in my town
uechi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by uechi58 View Post
With all those people hanging around, you couldn't upright the thing before dragging it out? You did more damage after the crash! Looks the a bunch of highway workers in my town
My thoughts too.

Get the 4 wheeler and drag it out upside down that is the only solution. Must be a bunch of tow truck drivers.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
James Adams OP
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechi58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
My thoughts too.

Get the 4 wheeler and drag it out upside down that is the only solution. Must be a bunch of tow truck drivers.

The winch guys did a great job and extracted the bike safely and with minimal damage given the circumstances. I owe them a lot of thanks for their assistance. If you were there, I'm certain you'd agree.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,656
Of course it's a dirt bike; it has knobbies doesn't it?
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
James Adams OP
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Of course it's a dirt bike; it has knobbies doesn't it?
I think that's where my logic was flawed as well.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
why on earth didn't you push it back upright first...
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,219
Saw that thing back in august and loved the pics. Seeing it now again it makes me smile once more :o)

I'm glad you took it with so much humor :o)

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
mrpincher
Life is one long day

Oddometer: 36
Stelvio is not an upside down dirt bike - c'mon

This post still confuses me after all this time. I keep "checking in" to see if someone has posted the mysterious f'ing reason the bike couldn't be towed out on its wheels,then I get pissed off all over again.

Please someone tell me a lie if you have to, make up a reason that 10 adult men couldn't roll this bike out on its wheels. Please don't leave me here wondering what's wrong with humanity - what am I missing!
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
It crashed upside down off a cliff into the trees... and could still be ridden home.

Close enough to a dirt bike for me!
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
The OP may not realize it, but he is a Guzzi salesman!
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote