Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #346
Scott in Missouri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Hey Jag I am in Contact with Magneto and Scottinmissouri. They weren't able to make it up this year, but hoping next year. Both are military in Missouri.
I am planning to be there June/July 2013. If I am in the neighborhood, I will check you out Amigo. I am trying to figure out how to carm a lot of riding into 23 days- 22 June-14 July and catch a ferry back to WA...

Scott
Scott in Missouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #347
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
Well if you can get here on the 18th, you can ride out to D2D with me and then do the Dempster. That should leave you enough to ride the Haul Road and Hatcher Pass before heading home. We are taking 9 days for that trip plus 6 days doing the Haul road and stuff inbetween. Let me know. I could have some hosting issues starting the 4 of July weekend cause my parents are coming up for a couple weeks. Is Magneto coming too?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #348
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
Alaska

That's the plan, plus the Old Man.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #349
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 140
VXA, Ready for Alaska

Alaska, here we come, we're ready, the bikes are ready, and the count down has begun, June 3rd, 181 days until departures. The VXA passed a couple of rigorous test last summer, a few days up in the Hells Canyon area, 550 mile trip, about 200 miles on Forest Service roads, some of which would be a good test for any off highway bike, blue-out one rear shock, of which I was glad for, better now than on the North Slope. Another 500 mile trip to central Idaho on a fishing trip, all highway, but loaded similar to what it will be going to Alaska. Made a few more minor additions to the bike which I'll put up some pics of as soon as I figure out how to do it again. Drunk Uncle, look out, here we come. Also send me your address so I can put it my GPS. More pics coming soon.

LikeItLoud

Though with each passing day I grow older, I REFUSE to grow up!
LikeItLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #350
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Thumb Alaska or bust

That is good news!
Planning is part of the fun after all.
Good thing you have plenty of time.

Is D2D on your schedule?
(Dust to Dawson)
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #351
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
Ready to receive

I talked to Brian today and think I have him talked into D2D and the Dempster afterward. I also texted my address to him. I live on the Chair Force side of the base. Below is a link to the D2D information thread. Look forward to having ya'll. If its just you and Brian I room in the house for both of ya while in Anchorage and Univ. Of Alaska has dorms for motorcyclists.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832671
Old 12-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #352
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Just added our names to the list. Looks like fun.
Mag
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
Old 01-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #353
shanekfalcon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Hi guys,

I've been working on my cousin's vx over the last year. The fuel tap diaphram is faulty and I am thinking about changing the fuel tap with a more simple on-off-reserve. Pro cycle sell one for the DRZ-400 that looks like it would fit. Besides leaving an ugly hole, any thoughts or advice?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
shanekfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #354
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 674
petcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekfalcon View Post
Hi guys,

I've been working on my cousin's vx over the last year. The fuel tap diaphram is faulty and I am thinking about changing the fuel tap with a more simple on-off-reserve. Pro cycle sell one for the DRZ-400 that looks like it would fit. Besides leaving an ugly hole, any thoughts or advice?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
If the vx uses the same as sv650 yamaha raptor 660 is manual and $25 ish and should fit .
luck,ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #355
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

shanekfalcon

If you think leaving that big hole in the side of the VX looks ugly, I agree, In fact I couldn't live with it. When I was putting this bike together, the handle for the valve was missing and of course you need the handle to turn the valve and fill that big hole. It didn't take long to find the handle on ebay. You could use another fuel valve, but I think you would regret it latter not waiting on finding the correct valve or finding the right parts to repair the one you have. You have a great bike there, I recommend keeping it all together. Good luck with whatever you do with it.
LikeItLoud

Though with each passing day I grow older, I refuse to grow up.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #356
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Saddlebags/panniers

Hey Dad, I got pm'd about the saddlebags you mounted. Where did those come from? CAn you say something about how you mounted them?
Mag
Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #357
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

I got the bags on ebay, they are rather inexpensive, something like $40 for the pair, but they are holding up very well. On mounting them, I have a metal strap bolted on the inside and outside of the bags and are somewhat permanent, the bolts are long enough to stick thru the expanded metal and held in place with a hatch pin to hold them in place, pull the pins and you have the bags in your hand. I just realized there is no picture of tbe bags when empty and compressed up and strapped tight to the side of the expanded metal with straps, no flapping in the wind and looks good when not in use.

LikeItLoud

Though with each passing day I grow older, I REFUSE to grow up.