User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #31
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,433
+1 to the MSR Whiserlite.

Use the smallest bottle they have and refill it from the bike when needed. Packs uber-small, too.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #32
El Brad
Leave it long on top

Oddometer: 445
Thumb Another vote for the Svea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I'll jump in with a vote for the Svea 123 as well. I bought mine in 1974 so that makes it just a pup at 38 years old. Good as new.

Purchased mine new in 1976, Can't kill it, bought a repair kit with it and have never opened it, has
never failed me in 36 years of use.

This is a pretty good read for general stove info ----> http://zenstoves.net/StoveChoices.htm
El Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #33
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 275
Had a few gasoline stoves over the years, Coleman and MSR mainly. Got tired of the ball of flame that is required to preheat the stoves in fire sensitive areas here in the west, the smell of gasoline in your sidecases after dis-assembly and packing, the jet-engine noise on beautiful morning at the campground, lots of components to fail, and so on.
Switched to a Trangia 27-5, will never regret that. Look here:http://trangia.se/english
Great piece of kit, very compact, well thought out.
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #34
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Coleman Dual Fuel Review

We used the Coleman Dual Fuel for a week on the trail. Its a bit larger than some folks would want but wasn't an issue with our Zega Pro Panniers. Worked like a charm and had good temperature regulation. I left with a full tank in the stove and a gas bottle on the Panniers with unleaded and it lasted a week.

We released the presure when done cooking so we were'nt riding with a pressurized tank. We were concerned that if the fuel regulation leveler twisted open in the panniers it could fill the box with gas fumes. That could be a potential unsafe situation. That could happen with any stove but with a level action vs a turn nob its probably more likely with the lever.

Overall we loved the stove and think its a better all around solution for ADV riding than the canister stoves because of the versatility of using unleaded fuel the price point at 50 bucks and the good temp regulation that you don't get on the higher end stoves like the Jet Boil. Folks love the Jet Boil but i suspect they aren't doing a bunch of actual cooking. Make sure you tighten the cap before storeing in your panniers so you don't leak gas on your stuff.

Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #35
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Just saw this post, so I'll weigh in too,

This is an excerpt from my "Equipment" post, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19686135&postcount=1612

My other stove (I carry 2 stoves) is the old Multi-fuel 1st generation Optimus-Burton Nova "Made in Sweden" with the Cejn connectors - later models were crap and dangerous apparently, so if you want a GOOD one, read this http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....imus-nova.html.

Mine has been pretty good most of the time. Always carry a rebuild kit (any stove). I've more than once had to do field repairs.

Also, this site is just about as good and comprehensive as it's ever going to get if you want to know about stoves...
http://www.spiritburner.com

Then check this out if you haven't for various fuel names around the world, something I'll post separately,
http://fuel.papo-art.com/

Have fun
Old 11-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #36
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
I've been using a Brunton Raptor for several years now. LOVE IT. Small and easy to use, also has a built in ignitor.

Seems to be discontinued though

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/brunton/raptor/

Brunton Raptor Foldable Canister Stove At last, a simple butane stove that does everything well. The Raptor stove integrates an electric Piezo ignition onto a burner that gives you high output on a sturdy stainless steel platform. Crank out 11,000 btu with this reliable new cooker, and boil a liter of water in just over four minutes. Raptor folds down small and weighs a mere five ounces soaking wet. -1.7" x1.5" x2.5" stove folded -5 oz Fuel: Isobutane canisters -Rating: Approximately 3200 watts / 11,000 btu -Burn time: Up to 1.5 hours at high output (one 8 oz canister) -Boil time (1 L of water): Down to 4 minutes (varies with fuel, climate, altitude, temperature, etc.) -Super compact, lightweight design -Piezo electric ignition -Precision simmering control Large, sturdy pot supports -Tough nylon case included -One-year warranty

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."

Wlfman screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 02:03 PM
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #37
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Posted "International Fuel Names" http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...wpost&t=838236.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #38
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Just as a general rule you don't want a stove that requires a special canister. Your not going to find it at some little country store. You also don't want to have to take multiple canisters on a trip. Find a stove that you can burn unleaded in because you'll find that at every gas station.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #39
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
I made one of the small alcohol stoves, I used HEET(yellow bottle) and it worked great on my last trip and the stove was free.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #40
DakotaRon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Camp Stove Opinion

I use the Coleman 400 back pack stove. It is extremely light weight and takes up very little space. I was able to eat all my meals off the bike on my trip to the Black Hills this year.
DakotaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #41
klondike1
Nobody in particular

Oddometer: 459
Ok i did not get my Svea 123 in 1974 but had mine since 1976. They are a rock solid stove. I still runs great and can simmer very well. Yes my whisperlite will boil water about as good as the nuclear reactor at work but for an all round stove the 123 is it.
2007 BMW F800ST(Blue Boy)
www.danieljenkins.ca
klondike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #42
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,754
I bought an Optimus 00 in the early 70s and it's still working after countless motorcycle trips. It has a rather large brass tank that holds enough fuel for a couple weeks. To preheat it I use a squirt of lighter fluid. This stove will still be working 100 years from now.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #43
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Just as a general rule you don't want a stove that requires a special canister. Your not going to find it at some little country store. You also don't want to have to take multiple canisters on a trip. Find a stove that you can burn unleaded in because you'll find that at every gas station.
This is a very good point for anything longer than a 3-4 day trip. For local trips I use my JetBoil, but I wouldn't use it for trips more than 3 or 4 days because I'd have to carry a bunch of cartridges. For longer trips, MSR Whisperlite has worked well for me. Although that Svea looks pretty interesting.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #44
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Svea 123 Yes!!! I bought mine in grade 10, 1970. Used it lots over the years and used it last summer for 4 weeks in Alaska The eye dropper trick to preheat the stove is the best.

I guess we can tell the age of many Adv riders Judging by the number of 123 owners here. saw one in a cafe in the Yukon up on the shelf full of antiques!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #45
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,962
For up to 3 day trip I use JetBoil (Easy to use, mainly backpacking meals). For longer than that I pack my MSR DragonFly (more invovled, but more options for storebought meals). Both are great stoves, for different uses.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote