Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #2701
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
My HDB setup did require some spacing but the Squadron kit made it mandatory and the spacers are provided in the Squadron kit. I had a Trail Tech light ready to install and it too needed spacers which Trail Tech does not provide. However, Paul at HDB turned me on to the Squadron and although it is more money it is a superior product to the Trail Tech light while maintaining a stock appearance using the stock headlight shroud. It works with stock switches but I bought the Sicass switch to make more room on my left handle bar. High beam turns on the light, low beam and off turn off the light. Only a dimmer gives you function to create a low beam. I have not installed the dimmer.
Agree with everything you said- especially the part about the Squadron being superior. I've had the Trail Tech X2 for 2 years and the plastic is all faded out and I've had to replace a ballast and a bulb- not inexpensive, by the way. Biggest issue for me was the weight- the X2 is heavy! Squadron is heavier than stock, but not by much.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #2702
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
TrailTech mounting bracket extensions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
My HDB setup did require some spacing but the Squadron kit made it mandatory and the spacers are provided in the Squadron kit. I had a Trail Tech light ready to install and it too needed spacers which Trail Tech does not provide. However, Paul at HDB turned me on to the Squadron and although it is more money it is a superior product to the Trail Tech light while maintaining a stock appearance using the stock headlight shroud. It works with stock switches but I bought the Sicass switch to make more room on my left handle bar. High beam turns on the light, low beam and off turn off the light. Only a dimmer gives you function to create a low beam. I have not installed the dimmer.

Yeah...I can definitely see the advantages of having an LED light as the primary light. But.....I already purchased the TrailTech, and since the money was already spent, well.....to keep peace in the marriage, I stuck with that. I've since picked up a couple of AdvMonsoter LED lights that will be going on each side of the TrailTech light for additional light at night.

Finally located some of the correct pictures:

My GPS and phone setup.
The Actual GPS mount is a TourTech Heavy Duty mount.
The bar that the Tourtech is mounted to is a custom fabrication that i slapped together.

Here is a good shot of the TrailTech backside..... much larger than the stock light backside

And here is my solution for little extensions, cut from an old plastic oil-pan

Here is the bottom portion of the TrailTech mounting plate. I drilled a couple of holes in the fender and used this adjustable mounting plate to fine tune the angle of the headlight. Thus far, it has been solid, despite crash after crash...

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 01:07 PM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #2703
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Thanks Steve. Thats quite the setup! Great info. I tried the TrailTech X2 on the 500 last night and it's a PITA. I'll probably stock up on bulbs and leave the stock light on for now.
That ram ball mount uses the top clamp bolt-where did you get the ballmount with a screwhole in the middle?

Garrett
Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #2704
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Thanks Steve. Thats quite the setup! Great info. I tried the TrailTech X2 on the 500 last night and it's a PITA. I'll probably stock up on bulbs and leave the stock light on for now.
That ram ball mount uses the top clamp bolt-where did you get the ballmount with a screwhole in the middle?

Garrett

These are really nice little mounts that can be picked up for cheap from GPS City
The picture is linked......

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #2705
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,454
Steve0 - that's some dash. Me, I try to keep it simple . I put the ram mount in the spot for the mirrors. GPS on the right and one of those folding mirror jobs on the left. I like how ya can tuck it in nice and neat. I don't nav much (prefer 2nd position) so I only run the GPS when I go out solo.

You running the TT in Eglin this weekend?

Colemanfu screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 10:04 AM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #2706
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Steve0 - that's some dash. Me, I try to keep it simple . I put the ram mount in the spot for the mirrors. GPS on the right and one of those folding mirror jobs on the left. I like how ya can tuck it in nice and neat. I don't nav much (prefer 2nd position) so I only run the GPS when I go out solo.

You running the TT in Eglin this weekend?

Thanks. Since I ride solo most of the time, I like to have options.

When on a multi-day ride, I'll mount up my Droid X2 phone so that I can send messages to my Spot Connect and keep in touch with Da-boss. This way she feels better knowing I'm doing ok.

I often like to plan routes using the GPS, makes for a more adventures Adventure. Plus, having the GPS up front where I can see where while standing and riding across the desert fast is a plus. The above picture shows my first version of the mount. I've since made a mount that pushes the GPS further forward for better viewing when I'm standing or sitting.

Having tunes on the road is really nice. The Scosche Ipod Remote is super cool!
I tuck the Ipod into my shirt pocket and don't have to touch it at all to control it. Having some great tunes when your carving up some single track is really nice.

And of course, you want to be sure you have juice for your electronics.
The Low-Profile Powerlet Socket ensures that I'll always have juice for the cell phone, ipod or using an adapter any device that requires a 12 volt power socket...

One thing the Military and the 1st Gulf War taught me.......

Be prepared....

What's the "TT in Eglin"?

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 01:09 PM
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #2707
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,454
My mistake Steve0 - I was thinking you were on far left of FL. Eglin AFB. There is a ride out there this weekend. I know there are a few 500's around that side of town and was thinking you were one of em.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821589
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #2708
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post

Time on Target.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #2709
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:

And of course, you want to be sure you have juice for your electronics.
The Low-Profile Powerlet Socket ensures that I'll always have juice for the cell phone, ipod or using an adapter any device that requires a 12 volt power socket...

One thing the Military and the 1st Gulf War taught me.......

Be prepared....

Do you use this plug for that low profile powerlet ?
http://burnsmoto.com/deluxe-powerlet...ug-ppl-002.php
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #2710
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Do you use this plug for that low profile powerlet ?
http://burnsmoto.com/deluxe-powerlet...ug-ppl-002.php

yup, thats the one

if you have this kind of socket, you definitely want to get an adapter too

then you can use a 12v usb charger to repower ipods or phones or whatever

Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #2711
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
yup, thats the one

if you have this kind of socket, you definitely want to get an adapter too

then you can use a 12v usb charger to repower ipods or phones or whatever

Yeah, I was wondering about the USB option.
Good info !
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #2712
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Anyone find a good spot on the bike to mount a coolant overflow tank?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #2713
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

HDB Top Clamp and Sicass XCW Key Switch ?

Will it fit ?

I note on the HDB website, they show a top clamp example with a hole for a keyed switch

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...KTM_Top_Clamps

Will the Sicass XCW keyed switch fit in the HDB top clamp without hitting the Nexen Bars ?

http://sicassracing.com/store/index....roducts_id=423
Old 11-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #2714
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Will it fit ?

I note on the HDB website, they show a top clamp example with a hole for a keyed switch

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...KTM_Top_Clamps

Will the Sicass XCW keyed switch fit in the HDB top clamp without hitting the Nexen Bars ?

http://sicassracing.com/store/index....roducts_id=423
No. However, I was able to mount mine just above the right fork leg by attatching it to the bolt that holds the guard bar to the cam piece. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #2715
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Picked up my 500 last night re-geared to 14/48 and de-smogged. Can't wait to take her out for 1 hr. break in tonight! In the Blias kit is says to not remove end screen without adding JD Tuner as it will make the bike run too lean. Is this true? My screen was in the suit case and I don't get how it goes in the pipe. Does the end cap star looking deal unscrew? If so it's tight as a motherfu....!
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote