User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #31
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,676
Says a lot about the quality of the new Maps app when the CEO himself has to apologize:

http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

This isn't a ringing endorsement for TomTom. That's for sure!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #32
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post

Can you imagine one of those Google cars driving though North Korea?

I think they do already. Or at least similar. They are driven by the Cabinet General Intelligence Bureau of the Korean Worker's Party Central Committee. I don't think you want to say anything bad in they are in your neighborhood.

Maybe I am wrong here but I believe this pissing match is all about selling us stuff through the gps in our phones. This will be a major moneymaking that is just in its infancy. Get in early and get in big.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #33
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
While I have no TomTom device to compare to, I would certainly think it's the same map data on iOS as it is their GPS devices.
The Sygic App maps are TomTom, and I've found some really strange map errors in Ottawa/Canada with it. Glad I only paid $10 for it.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #34
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The Sygic App maps are TomTom, and I've found some really strange map errors in Ottawa/Canada with it. Glad I only paid $10 for it.
Here's a very in-depth article about how poor the iOS 6 maps are specifically in Ontario, Canada. Only 20% of over 2000 cities in Ontario are reported correctly. This is terrible!

Just the other day, I searched locally for an address and it was reported to be 30km south of where it actually is. I can understand some bad results here and there, but this was quite literally the third or fourth search I've ever done on the iOS Maps app.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #35
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I use Sygic, and there are a lot of things nearby me that are accurate on Sygic and wrong on Apple's map service.

However, the highway exit ramp I take every day to get home from work is missing from Sygic's map data (one of the only mistakes I have ever seen), causing it to add an extra 10 minutes of driving if I try to create a route from the city to my home. Apple's map does know about the highway exit, so there are places where it is better than TomTom.

It looks like Apple got their data from a whole bunch of different sources, ran some algorithm to cut away all of the duplicate data, and there are a lot of places where they threw out accurate data but kept something bad.

Give it time, I'm sure they will fix it up.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #36
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
Unfortunately the data is crap. Until/unless they improve that, this new app is almost as useless as the old one.

It's a bit of a tempest in a teapot really, there are great third party GPS/mapping apps available and no serious map user ever used the built in google maps app. Now there is a new built in app and we will continue not using it.
I think this sort of nails it. I was sort of upset when I heard the news because I really loved Googles maps. I didn't upgrade my phone but I did upgrade my iPad just to experiment. At first I didn't like it but probably just because it was different. I think that the platform it's built on, vectors, is going to be a huge advantage over Google once they upgrade the data. Google has had a huge head start and they've been mining iPhone users for years so you should expect it.

But, the 3d function is pretty sensational. It's gimmicky in the cities with flyover but it's cool. In many ways it's way cooler than Googles street view. But the 3d view of landscapes is fantastic. It's crazy fast to be able to spin the map at 45 around a point. Imagine trying to do that with a topo? In exploring dirt roads and mountain passes that I've ridden it gave really valuable information as to the grades, hills and valleys. It's sort of incredible really. I think once you play with this and explore (much like Google Earth but far faster and easier) you'll see value in it. Take it for a spin down your favorite road and see what you think.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #37
guavadude OP
de-composer

Oddometer: 666
Finally got my iphone 5 and tried it out this weekend. As mentioned above, the
3d satellite view is great. Much better than Gmaps as long as the data is correct. But what really sucks for me is the way the maps show road names.
You have to be so far zoomed in before the road names appear, then you can only see that road and none of the surrounding roads. If you zoom out enough to see a few roads, the names disappear and the roads become so narrow and faint I can see them.

It was pretty much useless for me to try to tweak a route on the road since I couldnt ever see an overview with road names. I can see Apple fixing the data set eventually but I have a feeling this resolution issue will stick around.
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #38
guavadude OP
de-composer

I returned the iphone 5 today and went back to using my 4 with OS5. I'm saving my upgrade for the 5s. By then there will hopefully be cases, adapters and a google map app available.
In the meantime I'm using the money to get a dedicated gps.
Fyi, AT&T wanted to charge me a $35 restock fee so I talked to the manager and he gave me a credit.
Less battery time, crappy wifi performance, apple maps .... Just seemed like a downgrade from what I already have.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #39
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,394
It's funny but now that I've had more time with the maps it's pretty impressive how much better it is as a basic GPS compared to say Navigon or Motion-X. It's much simpler but very effective. I've also seen improvements to the map detail already.

I don't think that the Apple maps is the ideal ADV gps but the iPhone 5 is certainly a big improvement. I'd love for someone to make an Adv style GPS that could find dirt roads - I've been asking for that for years.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #40
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
The google maps app is out (and has been for weeks) for the new IOS and has all the same functionality and then some of the old Apple maps by Google.
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #41
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smopho View Post
The google maps app is out (and has been for weeks) for the new IOS and has all the same functionality and then some of the old Apple maps by Google.
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but there is no official Google Maps app available for iOS in the iTunes Store. This would be front page news if it were true.

If you're referring to the mobile Google Maps website/webapp, we're aware of it, but it's nowhere near the same as having a native app.

Google will release an official Maps app eventually.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #42
guavadude OP
de-composer

are you sure about that? It's not in iTunes and no mention on macrumors.com.
Google prompts you to add the web map to your homescreen but that's just a link to the web version.