Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #5116
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
We'll only tell you if you promise to post a pic of the wife.

Nah jk: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
Old 11-02-2012, 03:56 AM   #5117
tezzaxr4m
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
We'll only tell you if you promise to post a pic of the wife.

Nah jk: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
i ll have to show the wifey
were adventure's now
hey wallrat this sparky plug thing that pull's like a champion as in spark plug remover could you tell me how long is your's lol im chasin a tool kit but can only get one out of a cbr600 which has a 18ml socket@15cmlong over here sorry bout metric could you or anyone measure there tool lol from tip to end i dont want one of those motion pro crap ones that you have to shrink cheers
tezzaxr4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #5118
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

That will probably be too long. Mine is 118mm long and I can just barely clear the frame to slide it in.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #5119
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
That will probably be too long. Mine is 118mm long and I can just barely clear the frame to slide it in.

Just for peoples information, over here in the UK Honda want a small fortune for a spark plug tool.
So I had a trawl through e Bay, and found a universal tool which did both 16 mm and the required 18 mm for approx 5.00
or $7.50 US?
Anyhow, I measured the depth required so as to clear the frame by putting a zip tye down to the bottom of the tunnel (past the spark plug hex's) and simply cut the 16 mm off to the required length, I finished it off with a hole through both sides to take a screw driver blade or small bar,and hey presto a functional tool for a fraction of OE prices.
Hope this is of some use to someone.
Mark.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #5120
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

I think mine is out of a 400ex tool pouch? Honestly I can't remember.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #5121
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezzaxr4m View Post
i ll have to show the wifey
were adventure's now
hey wallrat this sparky plug thing that pull's like a champion as in spark plug remover could you tell me how long is your's lol im chasin a tool kit but can only get one out of a cbr600 which has a 18ml socket@15cmlong over here sorry bout metric could you or anyone measure there tool lol from tip to end i dont want one of those motion pro crap ones that you have to shrink cheers
The one I use on my XR400 with a big ass gas tank on there is 115 mm long and it is pinched down on the end and has a M12 hex which I have shortened some...it could be shortened even more to get to 113....then use a m12 box end, or better yet, one of the ratchet box end wrenches. This one was in the XR400 tool kit...and is the same one used in the pre-1996 XR250R's...i shortened it because getting back in there with that big tank is a PITA...the one wallrat shows is almost a PITA because with those holes and the crossbar it'shard to get 90 degrees of rotation every time....and the plug has LOTS of threads

I start my plug with about 3" of 5/16" ID hose over the end as an extension on the plug
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #5122
GaMtnRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Installed a new rear tire on my '96 XR400 yesterday, and got her loaded up in the truck to ride this weekend.

Today, walking behind my truck, I grabbed the rear tire and there is some play at the axle, not much, but enough to notice.
I remember torquing the axle nut pretty snug last night and every looks ok...

Anything obvious I may have missed? First time I have pulled the rear wheel out of this fairly new to me bike.

GaMtnRider screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 11:32 AM
GaMtnRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #5123
Diravi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMtnRider View Post
Today, walking behind my truck, I grabbed the rear tire and there is some play at the axle, not much, but enough to notice.
Rear wheel bearings? If you grab and can move the tire sideways, should be those shot.
Diravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #5124
tezzaxr4m
Adventurer

thanks guys

thankyou thankyou thankyou to all that helps
Old 11-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #5125
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
The one I use on my XR400 with a big ass gas tank on there is 115 mm long and it is pinched down on the end and has a M12 hex which I have shortened some...it could be shortened even more to get to 113....then use a m12 box end, or better yet, one of the ratchet box end wrenches. This one was in the XR400 tool kit...and is the same one used in the pre-1996 XR250R's...i shortened it because getting back in there with that big tank is a PITA...the one wallrat shows is almost a PITA because with those holes and the crossbar it'shard to get 90 degrees of rotation every time....and the plug has LOTS of threads

I start my plug with about 3" of 5/16" ID hose over the end as an extension on the plug

1/2 turn is all that is recommended on a new plug, and 1/4 turn on a used plug. Mine is cake even with a Clarke 3.8 tank on the bike. I put the plug in the tool, slide it in diagonally, turn by hand until it stops, insert the little rod thing, and rotate 1/4 turn. Your tank must ride lower than mine cuz its honestly one of the easier plugs I've dealt with on a bike.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #5126
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
1/2 turn is all that is recommended on a new plug, and 1/4 turn on a used plug. Mine is cake even with a Clarke 3.8 tank on the bike. I put the plug in the tool, slide it in diagonally, turn by hand until it stops, insert the little rod thing, and rotate 1/4 turn. Your tank must ride lower than mine cuz its honestly one of the easier plugs I've dealt with on a bike.
Yup...it's an old XR's Only tank (IMS, or Clarke...dunno) and it's work getting in there...with the stock tank....easy-peasy
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #5127
hughrk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezzaxr4m View Post
thankyou thankyou thankyou to all that helps
Have you fitted your pumper or stuck with the tps cv?
hughrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #5128
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Always, always use some anti sieze on those plug threads.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #5129
tezzaxr4m
Adventurer

pumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughrk View Post
Have you fitted your pumper or stuck with the tps cv?
NO not yet the bike was really restriced it had a exhaust that has a cat converter in it an opening that the exhaust had to escape thru a hole no thicker than your finger
the headers are smaller so i ve got on flea bay and found some in the usa hehe and there stainless second hand US 70 bucks plus 50 to ship and just put a staintune slip on at the moment It sounds nice already and has lost that posty bike sound ATM i have a boken leg so im messin with the bike pics to coME
no ride atm which sux even to test the pumper ill get from xrs only they seem the cheapest but that will have to wait until im workin again other wise ill end up in divorce court im gunna give it a go thou i have crazy gearing its a 37 back have to pull the front cover off to see front but this thing pulled 80ks out of second before!!! what that is in miles????? its got 160ks on the clock i reckon it would do that easily BUT for wheelies no chance thanks for the plug info tooo REGARDS Terry
Old 11-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #5130
Ace100
Expert Tomfoolerist

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Oh ya. Selling my black 19" CACR hub/wheel for $300. Doesn't include the brake or sprocket, just the spun aluminum hub (much stronger than stock), wheel, heavy duty spokes, and straight rim with a few blemishes but no dents or bends. Only had the wheel a couple years and 1500~ miles so the bearings are still fresh. I spent around $450 on it. Will include the Tubeliss for $50 more and if you buy the tubeliss I'll even leave the MT-21 with 40% tread on there if you'd like. Nice aftermarket wheel for about the same price as stock ones are going for on ebay. Just used a picture on the bike for convenience, that tire only lasted 250 miles so its not on there anymore.
Why are you selling this? How did it work when it was on?
Ace100 is offline   Reply With Quote