Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #46
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
1. The front brake disk/rotor broke.

2. The front brake master cylinder seized "ocasionally", without warning.

Sold that scooter with 1500 miles on the clock, after these repairs:

- Complete clutch assembly.
- Steering head bearings.
- New front brake disk.
- New front brake master cylinder.

I knew the bike would be crappy, I knew it would be "unreliable", fragile plastics, prone to breaking CVT belts, electrical gremlins, bad bearings, that I can deal with. Brakes not working when going downhill?

No thanks. That very same day I went to the Suzuki dealership and got my AN125.
Just as I always suspected. A poorly made scooter can be lethal. Or almost.Glad you survived to tell the tale.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #47
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Sounds almost as bad as my friends 2008 Harley.
hugemoth,
That's cold.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #48
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,754
Cold but true. He bought it new. 6 times in the shop during the first year mostly for fuel injection issues which caused the engine to die at random times. Got rear-ended once. Finally after they really got it fixed and it seemed reliable we took a 1200 mile trip, him on the Harley, me on my 30 year old Goldwing. The rear brake caliper came apart at 70 mph, locking up the rear wheel. He had it towed to the nearest Harley dealership, left it, and had his wife pick him up.

Probably one of those Chinese made Harleys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
hugemoth,
That's cold.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #49
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,012
Ah, fuel injection strikes again. I had a 1985 Goldwing LTD with fuel injection. Nothing but trouble, and could not find parts for it. I got it running fairly well and sold it. Bought a 1995 Goldwing, which has carbs. Only problems I've had with that were with some of the electronic gadgets, none of which kept it from running. A carbed Harley EVO is actually quite reliable, as long as you leave them stock. The EVO engine is strong, it has to be in order to deal with a single crankpin 45 degree v-twin design. But it was not designed to make more than stock power, and when you hot rod one, failures are common. A properly built stock EVO will last 100,000 miles. Then they are easy to rebuild. Any decent mechanic can rebuild one to better than stock specs, using better than stock parts for critical areas.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #50
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Cold but true. He bought it new. 6 times in the shop during the first year mostly for fuel injection issues which caused the engine to die at random times. Got rear-ended once. Finally after they really got it fixed and it seemed reliable we took a 1200 mile trip, him on the Harley, me on my 30 year old Goldwing. The rear brake caliper came apart at 70 mph, locking up the rear wheel. He had it towed to the nearest Harley dealership, left it, and had his wife pick him up.

Probably one of those Chinese made Harleys.
So, would a Chinese made Harley be anyway comparable to a Japanese-built (Rikuo RT2) Harley?

Harley-Davidson’s Japanese connection

Quote:
Disagreement, coupled with the rise of a militaristic government in Japan, put an end to Child’s, and Harley’s, relationship with the Japanese Rikuo company. Despite that split, Rikuos continued to be built in the Japanese factory. In fact, military versions of the Rikuo were built for the Japanese army during World War II. When civilian production resumed following the war, the motorcycle was limited largely to police and courier use. As late as the 1950s, though, as many as 2,000 Rikuos were built each year, with the engine having been expanded from the original 750cc to 1,000cc, and then to 1,200cc.