Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #31
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Oddometer: 286
Anyway, after 9 days this adventure was over.

We had experienced and survived all types of road conditions. Bitumen, gravel, high speed hard pack and loose sand. ( with some big tank slappers to remind us )

We had seen a wide variety of wild life. Roos, emu, wild pig ( road kill up to about 250kg,) feral goats, huge wedge tail eagles with snakes in their talons. goannas, rabbits, and the deadly outback brown snake.

No major mechanical problems were encountered. I have a new respect for older Honda XRs. A fabulous bike for these conditions.

Neither of us had a fall.

We meet some great people with similar interests... To explore this huge area of land they call the AUSTRALIAN OUTBACK.

We survived the heat. ( not easy with out camelbaks)

Total milage: Mick, ex Melbourne 3700km. Me 5400km ex Brisbane.

Mick even advertised his XR before arriving home, and sold it to a guy who made a 16hr round trip to pick it up. This money going toward a Kawasaki XR10 to be used as a track bike only.

And of course the BEST part..... spending 9 fabulous days riding some great country with my son. Michael. This trip will be remembered by both of us for a life time.

Thanks Michael.

Take care and thanks for reading. Ian R.
Ian Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #32
Hondamick
C'mon more Energy

Oddometer: 14
Thumb

Thanks Dad for taking the time to do the write up. I really enjoyed it and brought back some really good memories.
Andrea reckons you missed your calling and should be some sort of travel journo or writer.

I really enjoyed the trip. Never having done any adventure riding it really was a great 9 days that I will never forget.
So much land out there I still cant get my head around it. Red dirt, road kill, heat, snakes, birds, emus, goats, roos and more red dirt is something that will stay with me forever.

I was super happy with the way my bike went and didnt mind riding your KLR either, though that front Midas tyre was

Really got to thank you for making the trip a reality. I still cant believe you rode from Brisbane to Melboune without sleep. Crazy times!

I will remember this trip forever as well. Who knows, might not be the lasty one
Hondamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #33
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Thanks for this great RR!