Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Question Whats the right price??? considering a Gasgas 80

Sooo.... being that I weigh 120 lbs drenched in sweat with my full trials gear onboard including my full face helmet ... motorcycle weight is kinda important for me, and so is managable power.

Plus, Ryan Young has been kind enough to give advice, and his repeated advice is to lower my compression or ideally get me on a smaller bike. He had Macattack go to a smaller sprocket and we are also going to add additional, um .... base gaskets, maybe?? (sorry, i'm not the mechanic. we cannot add head gaskets b/c those are o-rings on trixter, but there's a gasket lower in the case that can be added to decrease compression.)

Add to that, I have a genetic disorder that makes it easy for me to dislocate joints and a right knee that has had to be surgically rebuilt due to same .... and then dislocated once, a decade post-surgery, thanks to a kick back by my old Beta 125 ...

soooooo.... I'm really seriously considering a smaller bike. I ADORE my gasgas 280TXT (2001). but i played around on a Beta 80 a few weeks ago ... and it's weight and the less bitey power band is what finally got me doing my first consistent wheelies. AND I can start it!

This weekend, i was supposed to ride a GG 80 at TTC, but she wasn't running. Charlie at TTC strongly recommended the bike for me (but his is not for sale) -- saying that my body weight is perfect for the bike; that the GG has more consistent and reliable power band than the Beta 80, several other reasons I cannot quite remember. If it only had a LEFT side kickstart, I'd be traveling the earth looking to buy one!

but i digress...

So, I am starting to keep my eyes open for a Gasgas 80 in good condition that is 2000ish or newer. And I'm looking for advice...

1. any years to avoid? is there a 'magic year' that they changed significantly (like my Beta 125 .. I have a 1984, where 1983 was still dual shock!)
  2. any concerns, thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
  3. Does anyone here have a SMALL rider in their life that has genuinely outgrown the CAPABILITY of an 80 while competing in classes no higher than the top of intermediate -- and not simply wanted to ride what the big boys ride or physically outgrown the bike weight wise??? (Looking for ACTUAL, first hand, REAL WORLD experience here ... not terribly interested in a lot of raw theory on this data point....)
  4. What's the right approximate price range for one that isn't utterly beat to death?

(NOTE: I am ENORMOUSLY lucky to have both my own personal "automatic starter" for my current ride -- Mike -- and also my own certified motorcycle mechanic to fix basic issues and do cool things like add base gaskets to lower compression -- also Macattack Mike)

amcross screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 06:21 PM
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote