Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #31
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh Togo View Post
You need to rethink that concept.

The drop in the net weight of a C/F tank versus the same capacity aluminium one will be far less than the reduction in bulk is, so the net buoyancy will be greater, not less.

It's the same mass of air in both tanks...

Speaking of SCUBA tanks, back in the 60's I watched one at the KMCAS dive shack hit the deck the wrong way, just after being filled... it was a short-impulse JATO, and skipped a few times before it finally was grabbed by the water.

The valve took a while to find...
I understand the concept, I should have worded it differently. The increase in weight needed will be offset somewhat for a CF tank due to the smaller size then if it were a CF tank that was the same size as a standard AL80. That is for a tank of similar capacity, 80ci at the rated psi. The other trade is a tank of the same size as an AL80 will likely hold significantly more air.

Still a better tank, lighter, more streamlined, better capacity, less corrosion concern etc. I bet the overall weight of a CF tank plus the weight needed to sink it will still be less then the combined weight of an AL80 and the weight needed to stay negative/neutral by the end of a dive. AL80's are crap, they just happen to be popular crap.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #32
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
I hate when people make claims like this. It's not powered by air. Most likely it's powered by a fossil fuel....

Compressed air is just energy storage. ...
And fossil fuel is also just storage, fossil fuel vehicles are just powered by the sun.
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #33
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
And fossil fuel is also just storage, fossil fuel vehicles are just powered by the sun.
nice

The sun is just powered by the expansion of the universe...

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #34
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
nice

While the expansion of the Universe is powered by the Big Bang, and Dark energy/Dark matter!
Quote:
The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the Universe. Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn't be called "normal" matter at all, since it is such a small fraction of the Universe.

Then viewers of Futurama know that Nibbler leaves Dark Matter in his litter tray.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #35
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
While the expansion of the Universe is powered by the Big Bang, and Dark energy/Dark matter!

Then viewers of Futurama know that Nibbler leaves Dark Matter in his litter tray.
Well, dark matter is just.... ahem.... ah.... dark matter. yeah.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #36
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegerman View Post
http://www.fastcoexist.com/1680821/a...urce=twitter#1

Propelled by compressed air, the O2 Pursuit can go 100 kilometers on a single tank, and up to 140 kilometers per hour (87 mph), according to Dean Benstead, the graduate of RMIT University, in Melbourne, who designed it.
Thanks for posting, I've been following air powered car development in India for a while now but this looks really fun!

I particularly like the use of a proven chassis while focusing on new power train technology. It doesn't look as 'funky' to me.

This is a great looking design and I would love to have one if it delivers the goods
Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #37
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,521
I know zero about SCUBA tanks, but the composite SCBA tanks I wore as firefighter were remarkably lightweight and very tough. They weren't cheap. But I would be surprised if they even weighed 20 pounds. Filling them was a little touchy. But they were a joy to wear compared to steel tanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #38
FJ Fun
Grouchy Old Squid

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Compressed air is horribly inefficient.

We had a guy years ago in Joplin that stuck the Bush 1 administration for many $$$ on his air car. Used to see the slow turds around here, out of air on occasion. The guy is a shyster.

Rod
I grew up in Joplin, I rremember that guy with the air car. He never seemed to be too bothered by facts.

Joe
FJ Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #39
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
nice

Then sun is powered by nuclear fusion as a result of gravity. The expansion of the universe will someday overcome the force of gravity, and nuclear fusion will no longer be able to happen.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #40
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ Fun View Post
I grew up in Joplin, I rremember that guy with the air car. He never seemed to be too bothered by facts.

Joe
I tried to explain to him a way to increase efficiency, got the you stupid college kids think you know so much, and you know nothing. At that point I knew he had no chance of success other than getting money from the government and his 5 minutes of fame.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #41
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictitious View Post
Then sun is powered by nuclear fusion as a result of gravity. The expansion of the universe will someday overcome the force of gravity, and nuclear fusion will no longer be able to happen.
Don't bet on it.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #42
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Don't steal my sunshine.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #43
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So all the material in the fusion reaction just got there all by itself huh?