Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,114
Bike hunting in Costa Rica

I'm taking a group of students to Pérez Zeledón, Costa Rica for six weeks during Jan-Mar of 2013. Will likely be an annual deal. While I would love to have my KLR650 there, I wouldn't have the time to ride it there and back. I thought of shipping it there and leaving it, but cost and the fact I still want the bike here means no. Besides I have to travel with the group of students.

Would rather just buy a small cc bike. Maybe a Chinese 125, or a Honda something. I've been checking Craigslist. I have lots of family in CR (PZ, Alajuela, Ciudad Quesada) that can help me with the purchase. I don't mind buying, as opposed to renting, because I visit enough that I'm thinking I'll just leave it with family and use it when I visit CR, about once a year or year and a half, and let family use it when I'm not there.

My main riding will be within Pérez Z and to the coast, Dominical. Also to Parque Nacional Chirripó base area--decent gravel roads. If I read the Google maps elevations correctly, the coast rises to about a 1000 meters before dropping to 700 meters, the elevation of PZ. So I'm leery of something too small, yet I'm not concerned about perfect ergonomics, rather I'm more into cost range: $1500-3000 and will it get me to some interesting places. I'm 6'3" and 185 lbs. It's been a long time since I've been on a 125cc bike. Will it pull me up a hills going through 3000 ft elevation climb? Will I be able to pass a slow moving truck? Will I be the slow moving bike going uphill on a 125? . Most often vehicles are limited on the PZ to Dominical highway to about 40-50mph because of curves.

Here's a few I've seen on CraigsList, CR:

1. A KLX 250 2007 - $3700 (looks to be in great shape from fotos, but I don't have other details, a bit pricey)
2. A 2012 Honda CGL 125 - 600km - $1650 (bought new for $2200). Cute with knobby tires...but a 125?
3. A new FYM (Chinese) 200cc for $2100
4. A 1999 Yamaha DT 125 for $800, 2 stroke. Shows its age.
5. Honda XL200 2004, 39,000km, $2,900

Just looking for input, or maybe you know someone who's selling bike in the Perez Zeledon or Alajuela area.

I've been to PZ and Dominical lots of times, but with family when we go to the beach. Would also love to hear about interesting places to visit in the area on a bike.

Thanks.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote