Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #16
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
Well I know that the dedicated snow tires of the last few decades don't last very long - especially if you run them for half of the driving year due to these soft compounds. If you leave them on your vehicle for half of the driving year they'll be gone in two winter seasons. In the conditions out here on the coast the need for these tires is only 2 - 3 months, unlike back east where the real winter still exists. Silica (glass?) in the rubber is the new way is it?
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #17
Groves
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Well I know that the dedicated snow tires of the last few decades don't last very long - especially if you run them for half of the driving year due to these soft compounds. If you leave them on your vehicle for half of the driving year they'll be gone in two winter seasons. In the conditions out here on the coast the need for these tires is only 2 - 3 months, unlike back east where the real winter still exists. Silica (glass?) in the rubber is the new way is it?
Haha, I cringe when I see people running a set of winter tires in the middle of summer.

If we're throwing in tire suggestions I'm a big fan of Nokian's Hakkapeliitta line. Had a good life out of my last set and using a set Hakka Rs this year.

I actually look forward to a good challenging winter drive!
Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
no need to worry about the neighbor running winters year long here in the kootenays...snow/winter ends in april and by october you should have the winters back on. so if you dont have extra rims and do the swap yourself you may as well us winters years long and change em when they wear out! that said you sHould be driving 2 wheel vehicles for the months that the winter tires coUld come off the 4 wheel vehicle....kapish!? ;)
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,210
1010tires.com
Canadian company.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well I am happy to say that we don't have the conditions of the Kootenays out here on the coast - the few snow events that we get only bring out the worst in people's driving skills. They just aren't used to the white stuff. I stay in New Westminster while I work and it is rather hilly and I can only imagine what goes on during snow events. By what I'm hearing from neighbours here in Chemainus, there hasn't been much in the way of snow for the last few years and the roads are maintained quite well. I just don't want to be stuck on either side of the Strait due to road conditions. If investing in winter tires helps the commute process, I would gladly spring for what works.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I've run winter tires for a while now. I typically get at least 70-80000km out of them. Three seasons and a summer usually. Michelin x--ice (I think - 10 years ago...) I didn't really like. Two sets of Blizzaks were great although they wore a little unevenly, Hakkapeliitta RSi were fantastic - the wife got 6 years around town and they still had more (30%) left.. Currently we are running Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV studded and Gislaved Nord Frosts on our vehicles. Only a month on the Gislaved tires so far and they seem good. Time will tell. I can't recommend the Nokians enough. I'll definitely get more when these wear out.

The difference between all-season, aka no-season tires vs winter tires is night and day.
I'll never go back to regular tires.
Hope that helps.
Good luck searching.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary06 View Post
Two sets of Blizzaks were great although they wore a little unevenly, Hakkapeliitta RSi were fantastic - the wife got 6 years around town and they still had more (30%) left.. Currently we are running Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV studded and Gislaved Nord Frosts on our vehicles. Only a month on the Gislaved tires so far and they seem good. Time will tell. I can't recommend the Nokians enough.Good luck searching.
I can honestly say that I have never heard of most of these brands - they sound European and I would be guessing they originate in Scandinavia - where they have conditions that are very close to our eastern winters. I will keep researching.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #23
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Gislaved are from Sweden - came with the Volvo from the dealership.
http://www.gislaved-tires.com/genera...iew_pc_en.html

and the Nokians are Finnish. I got mine through Kaltire.
http://www.nokiantyres.com/products
Old 11-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #24
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 653
Have had great luck with Kijij, I've only bought from individuals. Bought two set of tires for kids' cars. Rims and snows.

It just takes a lot of time, but was way cheaper than buying new, if that's your market.

Will go the US route for the wife's snow tires. The in-laws did that and saved a bundle.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #25
NovaTrophy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I will recommend the Nokian Hakka's as well. Got the Rsi's 5 years and 60+ kms ago and finally am getting a new set in a few weeks (tread wearing and getting very noisy). I got mine at Davies Tire in Portsmouth New Hampshire while down that way on business back then and will be going back again for a shopping getaway with the family. Pretty much half the price as here and no tax. A great deal, and a nice town for a visit.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #26
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

What kind of vehicles are you guys throwing these tires on?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #27
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

The Blizzaks and the Hakka 5 were on Toyota Tacoma 4x4s, the Hakka RSi were on a Volvo V50 and the new XC60 came with the Gislaved tires. Friends had Nokian WR all seasons on their minivan but have changed to straight winter tires after they wore out. They were better than regular all seasons but not as good as true winter tires.

The biggest difference I find with the winter tires is starting and stopping at intersections. The light goes green and away you go. I hardly use 4x4 in the truck unless it is really bad out. Better control on the highway and in deep snow as well.
One problem ... you can stop but the idiot on bald summer tires behind you may not be able to. Last week I had someone slide right past me in the next lane and halfway through the intersection. I hadn't realized that it was even slippery out...always watch your 6 and leave plenty of space in front of you to get out of the way.

We have both sets on extra rims and I mount on the car myself in about 30 minutes. Saves $100 twice a year and there is no waiting in line. Most places are booking 4 weeks out here in Calgary or you have to line up at Costco at 4am...
Old 11-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #28
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

I had the Hakkas on the Honda Pilot, great tires, but were very noisy.

Now on my '94 Grand Prix, I put the BF Goodrich Slalom snow tires, and they were great last winter (through both snowfalls we had last year ). I was surprised how well they gripped with this front wheel drive beauty.

Put them on steel or used rims, so you can just do it yourself. It also gives you a good opportunity to look at the brake pads and disks.

Many years ago we put the Hakka WR, they were all seasons rated for snow. Very quiet tire, but wore out fast, and like the previous poster said, they didn't handle as good as snow tires in the 3rd season, so we put dedicated snows on.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #29
Rocer10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
jacd, seeing as your thread has drifted from where to buy to what to buy may I suggest that you check with your local library to see if they have a copy of Consumer Reports annual buying guide (warning: it's a U.S. publication so sometimes has makes/models of tires not available here). It's hard to recommend a specific tire make / model without knowing your specific driving conditions. My impression of the area you live in is that you 'might' get two snowfalls a winter and a much higher incidence of wet roads than in other areas, but that's my impression.

For myself I switch between summer tires (typically all season) and full winter tires as I have both seasonal extremes. While I drive a Honda Ridgeline 4WD I still get myself into regular winter driving rhubarbs as I'm out on rural roads before the plows while highway winter driving is minimal. Summer time has a greater highway component. As a result of a scary near accident while hydroplaning with child on board I'll sacrifice a low score in the wear category for a summer tire in favour of a tire that has an above average score in the hydroplaning score. When it comes to winter I favour snow and ice traction scores over other scores such as noise - and yes there are winter tires that score low in snow / ice traction

There never seems to be the perfect tire so compromises have to be made. FYI, the categories that are listed for tire ratings in CR include: Dry Braking / Wet Braking / Handling / Hydroplaning / Snow Traction / Ice Braking / Ride / Noise / Rolling resistance / Tread Life. While I don't use CR ratings as gospel they are a good reference source in helping to make an objective choice.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #30
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Here is a link to the Automobile Protection Assoc. with winter tire reviews:

http://www.apa.ca/tire_wintertireratings.asp

just scroll down and select SUV or car winter tires.

A Canadian site