User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Show us your Raised DR650

I recently started a thread asking if the DR650 would suit a tall guy , 6'3" who wants a more offroad bike as I am trying to decide what way to go a modded DR650 or something like the KTM 690 enduro.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=tall+folks

Concensus seems that the DR650 works well with some mods. KTM 690 and other euro dual sports are taller and have great suspensions out of the box but I don't need all of the performance they offer, also they are pricey. Also I will still need to mod a KTM 690 substantially for my purposes, larger tank, small windshield or fairing, better seat. The only difference really mod wise with the DR650 is that would also need to upgrading the suspension on the DR.

I don't like the low chassis setup stock and have been reading about the DR650 suspension mods that have been done to raise the bike and improve the suspension. If I go the DR650 route is there a relatively straightforward assembly approach to upgrading the front forks, rear suspension, and raising the bike ?
I am not talkin just seat build up. I don't want to get into major machining exercises etc. looking for bolt up changes but this will be a winter project that part doesn't bother me .
I searched on raising links, there seems to be different info, some says its possible to install others say they don't fit. Also I see the 18" wheel upgrade as a good method to raise a little.

So what I am thinking is :
Replace front fork with offroad forks - which one ?
Replace rear shock - which one ?
Raising link and 18" rear wheel ? Do I need to do both ?

I would greatly appreciate it if people who have done similar, could post pics of their bike and describe what they did.

If they could point me to links or bild threads that would great also.

Thanks !
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
Old 11-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Downt own a Dr, but:

A raisin link raises the bike yes, but it raises the entire bike, so you will still feel craped, just cramped with more ground clearence.

You need to lower the pegs, which should be nice with a raised bike, as you'll still have a good amout of clearence between footpegs and ground.

Hope it helps.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I will still be installing lower pegs, I should have mentioned that in the original post. I always need to do that on pretty much every bike I have owned.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
TooTallRacing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Tall dude here

I'm 6'6" and recently purchased a DR-650. So far I have lowered the pegs, raised the handlebars and went to a CR high bend Renthal bar. All have been improvements but not quite the home run I was hoping for. I guess I'm used to my GS1200.

I wanted a KTM690 but was scared off at the price and perceived reliability issues. Next on the list was an XR650L. I tried to buy two different ones but title issues with the seller killed the deals. So I came across on a decent deal on a used but like new DR and bought it. The bike is fun and will do everything I want it to do but I kind of wish I would have held out for the Honda. (18" tire better suspension, taller seat height)

I plan on upgrading the suspension and getting a better seat and then just live with it. It's really not that bad. I will be watching both of your threads for suggestions.

Mike
TooTallRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I too was looking at the Honda but it is short peg to seat without much option to lower the pegs . That is why I thought it would be better to raise the DR,lower the pegs , and improve the suspension. You would get the benefits of the honda (taller with good suspension) plus the smooth DR motor for the slab and roomier leg room

Old 11-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe View Post
I too was looking at the Honda but it is short peg to seat without much option to lower the pegs . That is why I thought it would be better to raise the DR,lower the pegs , and improve the suspension. You would get the benefits of the honda (taller with good suspension) plus the smooth DR motor for the slab and roomier leg room

DR-Z400 forks and shocks have been bolted onto DRs seemingly easily. So have RM250 forks and some models of WP forks from KTMs. I'm not sure what shocks will fit on a DR besides the DR-Z, but an 18" rim with a similar-or-taller sidewall tire will add some height in the rear. The suspension height isn't the big issue for comfort though. For that you'll want to increase the peg-to-seat distance. The main benefit of swapping suspension is that QUALITY of suspension can be much improved.

Lower the rider pegs and build up the seat if you want to unkink your legs. Many brackets also move the pegs rearward a bit as well, to make standing easier. I also machined some pieces of 5/16"-thick flat stock into some lowering brackets for my passenger pegs. I can lower them 2" or 4", and now have a way to change my position on longer trips. I also have Happy Trails touring pegs bolted to my skid, so I can really stretch out and lay back if I want.

Get taller bars and some bar risers if you want to be comfortable standing too.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anybody have any advice and pointers to the best raised suspension setup ?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Have a read of BergDonks build. His has USD forks and a longer shock etc.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646076
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
Downt own a Dr, but:

A raisin link raises the bike yes, but it raises the entire bike, so you will still feel craped, just cramped with more ground clearence.

You need to lower the pegs, which should be nice with a raised bike, as you'll still have a good amout of clearence between footpegs and ground.

Hope it helps.
That's what I was going to say,raising a 400lb bike up taller will just make it more top heavy,leg reach to the ground isnt a real comfort thing,the closer to the ground the better for holding the heavy DR upright.
If you want more ground clearance for off road,a KTM is already there and they fit taller people fine stock.
Changing forks and raising the rear end up would do who knows what to the handling of the DR.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Its been done before by several folks with good results as I understand. There are scattered postings. I was trying to determine the most straight forward and generally accepted approach.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,747
USD forks will add height, but many come from smaller MX bikes (RMZ125-250 for instance). There have been a few comments about a reduction in front brake power with smaller rotors. Pay close attention to a replacement that has a 320mm rotor available from 'someone'. I say 320mm cause it's really, really better.

Cogent can modify a stock rear shock to fit your needs.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=motocd....c=IE-SearchBox

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 06:22 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #13
el capitan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Donīt worry about the handling, as long as you keep the back of the bike high enough. I had modded my DR with a stiffer spring AND raising links for additional 30 mm (1,2") ride height, then tried the stock links again. And instantly disliked the handling with the fork sporting stiffer springs but being otherwise stock. Back to the raising links and itīs my ride again! It handles with minimal steering input, but remains well planted even at top speeds - and thatīs the way I like my bikes.
For me the main problem of a better fork would be to get that handling again.You really have to be long-legged if you add travel to the front and height to the back of the bike.

el capitan screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 04:11 AM
el capitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

El Capitan,

Thanks for your comments. Did you just raise the rear only with raising links and stiffer spring or did you modify the front forks as well with a spring change ?
All of the threads I have read seem to be rather complicated fork retrofits requiring quite a bit of fine tuning to get the handling back , which is beyond my knowledge/skills.

I am looking for more of a straight forward solution, something that I can do with a few component changes to simply raise the bike and improve the suspension. Can you provide any more details on what you did exactly ? Where did you get the raising links ?

today I went back and looked at a local XR600L again and I do think I can make that bike fit. It has a compact seating position with bars really close but I am comfortable flat footing that bike. I think I could replace the bars/risers and seat and get a reasonable fit on the honda. I looked closely at the footpegs and I think I could lower the pegs a good inch or so without beling below the frame. It would require some welding but that is low tech compared to trying to sort out handling if I get into major suspension mods on a DR.

Tough to decide which is a better platform to start with.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,747
As much as I hate to say this, if I had your inseam, I'd be riding a @#$%& KTM.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote