Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #26
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
I live and work

in the Caribbean and get a couple weeks every 2 months, so my wife and I have been doing RSFR for almost 5 years.

We started with the bike in Florida and then gradually moved west and then had it in Mexico for just over a year, enough for 2 rides.

A few things we have found:

1) Depending where your flying too, it can be pricey.
2) We spent 4 months touring in Europe in 2003 so 2 weeks for a trip flys by. Depending on your expectations it may not be enough time.
3) Lots of planning required, especially where you store it,and what level of safety. We chose dealers and storage lockers in the U.S.A, and a storage locker in Mexico.
4) Depending where and how long you leave it, unless its on a charger your battery may be toast next time you pick it up. Ask me how I know.
5) If you need parts, battery, tires, etc, you may want to arrange for pre-delivery to your locker in order to save time. I did this in Mexico.
6) When flying out, you likely have a pre purchased ticket. In order not to miss a flight, we always arrive in our fly out city a couple days in advance just in case were delayed on the road,and were not rushed putting the bike into storage. That cuts into your riding time a bit.
7) We leave almost everything with the bike, clothes, boots, helmets, camping gear, etc. and just have a small duffel carry on for the plane. They pack down on the bike, I think I bought them at Walmart.
8) Leaving it at a dealer is much easier, drop and go.
9) Never had a problem with stale gas I use stabilizer when I can.
10) I had a problem with my CDN insurance company this Feb, (bike was in Mex at the time) they wouldn't issue a new decal because I had been insuring it out of province for 5 years. They wanted to see it, so I rode it to Tucson, then had it shipped to Wash state and got it there.

We like travelling like this, but 1 thing that I often thought about is security, theft, fire, flood, or hurricane depending where it is; (especially a locker) your a long way from being able to do anything about it. Our bike isn't new, but its our recreation, its taken us a lot of places and it would be a PITA to replace it.

One last consideration; if you believe in Peak Oil, as I do, the reality of flying at a reasonable cost for the average joe "me" in the not too distant future makes this option questionable. Its unlikely I will be able to afford the ticket.

Right now, its working.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote