ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
tt100 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Museum Bikes

The bikes at the Museum were absolutely fantastic. I didin't see one bike I thought was overdone in anyway and there was a great mix of as found bikes and correctly restored pieces. Not that I looked with a super critical eye, but I don't think I saw one that had modern base coat clear cost type paint. Everything looked as it ought to in my mind anyway....

This is the first thing you see as you enter. Right of entrance...

A couple of close ups....

Taking in the rest of the entrance....

Left of Entrance

View straight in from entrance

Let's head in...

Any guesses as to the origin of this? I'll tell at the end of the post.

As Triumph was the host this year, this was the first display to hit you as you walk past the ticket taker

How's that for a Christmas Tree?!

Bikes were everywhere, including hanging out in the air

I bet that is one of the funnest bikes to ride in the whole building!

It seems like EVERY time I go to a bike show I end up with 4-5 pictures of CB400F pipes. Probably the prettiest factory pipes of all time

Pretty bike. All I really remember when I as a kid about these old Sportsters is I used to see guys getting mad on the side of the road trying to get them to start! Just kidding.... sort of

Nice Buell display. EBR had some bikes on display at the Fan Zone too. They were a couple of spots over from Motus. It was pretty neat to sit there looking at those and realize that including Victory there more American options than just Harley....

Turbo Display. One each Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki. Sorry for picture quality

Having never looked at a 916 up close before I didn't realize what all the romance and excitement seems to be over them. Now I know. Next up, hear and ride one! (in red of course!)

Another shot of my Christmas (Wish) Tree

OK... back to the mystery bike. It hangs over the gift shop door, and the Docent told us they LOVE to stand nearby and listen to all the speculation, but nobody ever guesses what it is.

It's a prop bike from the Will Smith remake of Wild Wild West. I don't think I ever saw it so it didn't come to mind at all. In all honesty we didn't guess what it was, but it took 45 seconds or so before we started doubting it was anything real.

Next up, racing bikes, then antiques (my favorite of the whole museum)
tt100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #17
tt100 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Racing Bikes

The Racing display. I didn't notice it until I was right up on it and it was breathtaking.

Sorry!!! I wandered off into Yamaha 2 stroke land there. Those happen to be some of my favorites of all time and I guess I lost track....
Old 10-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #18
tt100 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Early Bikes

This was my favorite part of the museum

Know anything about this?

I think this was one of my favorites in the whole place. At first I couldn't figure out why the right wheel was so displaced from the side car.

I guess I could have posted these back up on the racing bike post!

The Flying Merkel is special to us SW Ohio guys as it was manufactured in Middletown, OH. My buddy Jim searched on it and found the factory location, but the building has long been torn down.

I'm a big Moto Guzzi fan, and the Dondolino is one of the best. Check out the valve and spring arrangement....

So, that's it. I have about 550 pictures in total. I hope you enjoyed my take on the Museum. Again, sorry for the amateurish photo quality. I guess I need to go back next year and practice some more!!

If anyone wants a link to that I can put them all up on Picasa and pass it out. Let me know....
Old 10-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
isdt BMW
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 232
The yellow Harley was restored by one of my friends, it is a 55 KHK, only about 600 were built, it is a rare sweet running machine. Your photos tell the Barber experiance, I have travelled from Ohio every year, it is one of our favorate events. If you have not been there, it is the best motorcycle weekend ever.
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 303
A group of us have had a booth in the swap meet area selling parts for our Gymkhana club. This is a great event and if you're thinking about going next year......do go. Only about 80% of the collection is on the floor of the museum at any one time. The track and the grounds are amazing. Well worth the trip.

Here are some of my pictures of Vintage;

Around the world Doug

Redclayrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Magnificent pics. When I get a chance to get to mainland USA for a holiday, a trip to Barber will be on the agenda. Bike heaven!

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
MooMoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I read somewhere that they should be starting the new edition soon, if not already. I should almost double the size and it is to be located inside the track and accessed by a bridge connecting the two buildings. Can't wait.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...-is-expanding/
MooMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #23
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 136
Just fantastic, thanks for taking the time to share the love.
Jimo368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #24
ewaugh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
As someone with around 500 laps on the track and no less than 2 dozen events in the flag stations I can attest to the awesomeness of the track.
ewaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #25
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,318
Thanks for all the detailed pics...

I'm hoping to ride down the BRP and the Smokey's and to visit the museum next summer... would 2 days at the Barber be enough time to see it all without rushing too much?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #26
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks for all the detailed pics...

I'm hoping to ride down the BRP and the Smokey's and to visit the museum next summer... would 2 days at the Barber be enough time to see it all without rushing too much?
You need two days at the festival. Just the museum about three or four hours. If your coming during the week i don't think you can drive around the facilities.

Some of my pics

2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote