Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #31
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
If you are not running electrics a large windsceen helps immensely. I primarily ride a scooter in the winter for this reason, full body wind protection. It's night and day when compared to my motorcycle which has a small windscreen.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #32
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Thanks!!! I suppose it varies by tire choice too, but what temps would you start to pay more attention to cold tires? 40s, 30s?
As long as you're not running pure sport/DOT race tires, which are designed to run best with a lot of heat, I don't think you have worry about it... just run your tire about 3-4 psi lower in winter, and start out gradually for a couple of miles. The greater worry will be morning frost, sanded roads, shadowed moisture, melt and freeze cycles from snowbanks, etc. Best temp range for me is 35-40 degrees since ice will melt on road surfaces but its still too cold for the snowbanks to leave the nasty salty cocktail all over the place.

I actually do my hardest riding during winter months - with the foliage down, I feel much safer without the blind corners and I have half a chance at seeing the dumb forest rats charging. Here's one of my winter tires, on in Nov - off in March.... I can't wear a tire like this during the summer.

CLICKY
Old 10-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #33
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegerman View Post
I have heated grips.. when it gets in the 20's and teens grips aren't enough.
Hmmmm... something wrong there... I've ridden my snowmobiles in -15 F (yes, minus 15) for hours at a time and never had a problem with the heated grips not being enough.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #34
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,528
Tomorrow morning will be my last rain-free commute in the forseeable future for the wet-side of Oregon. I am ready with a good selection of gear to keep me warm, dry and comfortable.

I am starting a new group called PA (Poseurs Anonymous)

Bill: "Hi, I'm Bill and I didn't ride today because it was too cold"

Corus: "HI BILL"

Spokesperson: "Bill, have you seen these new ALL-season Jackets with matching pants?"

Bill: "Do you mean I can ride all year?... What's the first step?"

Old 10-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #35
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Tomorrow morning will be my last rain-free commute in the forseeable future for the wet-side of Oregon. I am ready with a good selection of gear to keep me warm, dry and comfortable.

I am starting a new group called PA (Poseurs Anonymous)

Bill: "Hi, I'm Bill and I didn't ride today because it was too cold"

Corus: "HI BILL"

Spokesperson: "Bill, have you seen these new ALL-season Jackets with matching pants?"

Bill: "Do you mean I can ride all year?... What's the first step?"

I hope I find myself in your part of the States one day so I can buy you a Beer. It'd be a THANK YOU! for all the times you've made me laugh my ass off!
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #36
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoers View Post
Hmmmm... something wrong there... I've ridden my snowmobiles in -15 F (yes, minus 15) for hours at a time and never had a problem with the heated grips not being enough.
Some of us wussies get cold hands no matter how well the heated grips work. I have riding buddies who ride in the 40s and don't even need heated grips--just heavy gloves. I'm not so fortunate.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #37
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
It's been raining the last couple days here in Minneapolis. The rain started turning to snow mid morning and I rode my bike in today. Luckily the snow isn't sticking, but this afternoon commute with all the snow falling will be interesting....I love getting the crazy looks from the cagers when I'm out in inclement weather. Looks like it might be time to winterize the bike and put it away soon though, so I better enjoy it while it lasts!
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #38
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,442
Looks like youse bastids on the east coast are in for one heckuva storm right soon.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #39
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
On the last few ride's, the temperature has been 2 celsius- 35 fahr. or there abouts, my hands just get frozen, the leather mits i was testing, were just too cumbersome, gore-tex cloves feel cold afer 1/2 hour, other than my hands, no worrie's. Ice is starting to appear regularly, especially bad on the minor roads that i use, and they dont use salt on them like they do on major routes. So it was time to store the orange beast for the next five month's, i usually start riding again end of march, depending on the snow situation.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #40
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
On the last few ride's, the temperature has been 2 celsius- 35 fahr. or there abouts, my hands just get frozen, the leather mits i was testing, were just too cumbersome, gore-tex cloves feel cold afer 1/2 hour, other than my hands, no worrie's. Ice is starting to appear regularly, especially bad on the minor roads that i use, and they dont use salt on them like they do on major routes. So it was time to store the orange beast for the next five month's, i usually start riding again end of march, depending on the snow situation.
Sadly I might be storing mine this weekend. I must admit it's becoming a pain in the ass putting on all my gear, layer after layer after layer, but I love riding, so I suppose it's worth it, but my commute to work is only about 30 minutes but it takes me 10 minutes to put all my gear on and load up the bike and then I have to unload when I get to work.

I'll see what the forecast is for the next 2 weeks. It's supposed to be 20 degrees F to 40 degrees F (-6 degrees C to 4 degrees C) during the upcoming couple weeks. I don't mind the cold but with freezing rain or snow at those temps it's a different story.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #41
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Sadly I might be storing mine this weekend. I must admit it's becoming a pain in the ass putting on all my gear, layer after layer after layer, but I love riding, so I suppose it's worth it, but my commute to work is only about 30 minutes but it takes me 10 minutes to put all my gear on and load up the bike and then I have to unload when I get to work.

I'll see what the forecast is for the next 2 weeks. It's supposed to be 20 degrees F to 40 degrees F (-6 degrees C to 4 degrees C) during the upcoming couple weeks. I don't mind the cold but with freezing rain or snow at those temps it's a different story.
My wife laughs at how long it takes me to get all bundled- and wired-up with heated gear to go for a ride.

As I get older I'm less inclined to ride around in the cold. I'll wait for it to get above 40 before I ride again. We may get a couple more riding days before our first real snow
Old 10-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #42
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Looks like youse bastids on the east coast are in for one heckuva storm right soon.
...makes no difference to anyone but the wannabes.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #43
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoers View Post
Yeah, butt it's a dry cold!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #44
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like I've met the limit to my current gear for this season, so the bike will be put away...I'll be buying better gear for next season but don't have funds right now to invest in proper gear. Does anyone use lobster-style gloves on a motorcycle? Any downsides to using the controls?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #45
bighairless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Looks like I've met the limit to my current gear for this season, so the bike will be put away...I'll be buying better gear for next season but don't have funds right now to invest in proper gear. Does anyone use lobster-style gloves on a motorcycle? Any downsides to using the controls?
You probably have been here before but in case you havn't...Dr Mudspringer's, right across the street from the Harley dealer on Central (hwy 65 a few miles north of 694) carries a good supply of Winter riding gloves. Last I checked they had more Winter options than Bob's cycle off hwy 36.

I don't like bulky gloves and I haven't tried the lobster gloves but I did find a winner with Olympia Windtex. They are really quite thin...at first I thought they wouldn't have enough insulation but the sales guy is a Winter rider and he said that's what he uses. They work well for me. I'm still riding/cummute every day and my ride home from work is at midnight. These gloves can keep me on the bike for about an hour with temps in the 20's and I don't have heated grips...and I don't 'push it' with cold hands to anywhere near the point there would be a reduction in reaction time.

Good luck finding the gear you need.