Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #16321
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseur View Post
My wife like the Scrambler's seat. And she's hard to satisfied, my last 2 bikes where beemers.
The Bonnie seat is much harder, my friend has one (T100).
My mate also has a Scrambler & he changed the seat to a Bonnie as well, providing you & the wife are not large persons (no disrespect) you will be ok on the Scrambler. We are both around 5' 6" & 74kgs so we fit ok.
Mind you she starts to get a sore bum after an hour, I can ride all day without a problem.

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #16322
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by frichtie View Post
For the last 20 years, I've been involved in aircraft manufacturing.
I can tell you there's a difference in quality between an aircraft assembled in China, India, Mexico....and one assembled in the USA, Canada or Europe. But, does that apply to Triumph motorbikes?...
Maybe I get it all wrong. The beautiful part is: I'm not buying my next bike before 2 years. Got plenty of time to choose a bike that pleases me. But I already like the Scrambler!

The Triumph factory in Thailand is a wholly-owned facility of theirs, not a subcontractor or licensee. They have the same quality control standards there that they do in the UK. By all accounts the bikes coming out of their Thai factory are equal to the UK-built ones in every way except their ability to ease the minds of people who think it's impossible to build things well in Asia.

And yes, the Scrambler and all other Bonneville-based models (ie, the entire Modern Classic line) are assembled in Thailand.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #16323
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogogo66 View Post
Can anyone tell me who owns a scrambler how they are riding two up? Was at the dealer earlier in the week and love the look of the scrambler and the bonneville. One may be in my future.
I bought a Scrambler specifically for 2-up riding- my gf wanted a "flat seat". She likes it, but my last bike was a TE610, so it's not like she's coming from a GoldWing, heh.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #16324
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Little escape this afternoon, before the rain, or snow...

The Scram his happy on those gravel. :coeur:

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #16325
motogogo66
Ohio Rider

Oddometer: 96
riding 2 up

Thanks for all the responses about the seat and riding 2 up. Hope to have either a Scram or a new Bonnie in the garage next year. Just need to sell my almost new Concours, not the bike i was hoping it to be.
motogogo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #16326
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Scramblers From Thailand

Quote:
I will see that movie. The trailer is working!

Now....I just read somewhere that....the Scrambler was assembled in Thailand!
TELL ME IT'S NOT TRUE......please. Cause I recently sold my Transalp. And my R80G/SPD.
Have some serious projects like building a new house and a few other things...I will buying a new bike in 2 years. And I want it to be a Scrambler. But I'm not buying a Thaï bike.

Eric

I don't know if they are all made in Thailand but my 2008 was. It may be the most trouble free motorcycle that I have ever owned. I am not really happy about rusting mirrors and spokes, but I don't spend any time cleaning. I Don't clean the other bikes either though and only the XT shows similar tendencies. I have heard others comment on similar conditions but don't know if those are bikes from Thailand or England. Other than not being able to read the signature of the pinstriper , I don't find much to complain about. My english Triumph Tiger ('72) doesn't have the rust issue or leak oil, of course I haven't gotten it started in a couple of years and it is probably empty.....

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #16327
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
I will see that movie. The trailer is working!

Now....I just read somewhere that....the Scrambler was assembled in Thailand!
TELL ME IT'S NOT TRUE......please. Cause I recently sold my Transalp. And my R80G/SPD.
Have some serious projects like building a new house and a few other things...I will buying a new bike in 2 years. And I want it to be a Scrambler. But I'm not buying a Thaï bike.

Eric
Then you're not buying a new Scrambler.

My 2006 Scrambler was one of the last to come out of the Hinckley factory. All the Triumph Classics since have been built in Thailand. There is a locked-down thread on the RAT BB about it.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #16328
frichtie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
The Triumph factory in Thailand is a wholly-owned facility of theirs, not a subcontractor or licensee. They have the same quality control standards there that they do in the UK. By all accounts the bikes coming out of their Thai factory are equal to the UK-built ones in every way except their ability to ease the minds of people who think it's impossible to build things well in Asia.

And yes, the Scrambler and all other Bonneville-based models (ie, the entire Modern Classic line) are assembled in Thailand.

--mark
Really, I don't see why the bikes would show more "defects" just because they are made in Thaïland.
My english isn't good enough I'm afraid, to explain why it dissappoints me. But I can think of an example that could explain my point of view: What if Harley-Davidson bikes were made in, let's say Brazil Belgium Philippine or even South-Korea?
Many "purists" would feel betrayed and choose another bike. In my case, I just can't buy "local". But if I were British, American, Italian or even French, I'd try to put my money in a more local bike. What can I buy here in Québec that is local?
An aircraft, a snowmobile, a Can-Am "three-wheeler"...maple syrup... snow-shoes...(even tough most snow-shoes sold here are now "made in China")
I really like the Scrambler. But I'll need my two years to convince me a "Thailand-Triumph" is ok.
Eric
frichtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #16329
kiwicaveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Really, I don't see why the bikes would show more "defects" just because they are made in Thaïland.
My english isn't good enough I'm afraid, to explain why it dissappoints me. But I can think of an example that could explain my point of view: What if Harley-Davidson bikes were made in, let's say Brazil Belgium Philippine or even South-Korea?
Many "purists" would feel betrayed and choose another bike. In my case, I just can't buy "local". But if I were British, American, Italian or even French, I'd try to put my money in a more local bike. What can I buy here in Québec that is local?
An aircraft, a snowmobile, a Can-Am "three-wheeler"...maple syrup... snow-shoes...(even tough most snow-shoes sold here are now "made in China")
I really like the Scrambler. But I'll need my two years to convince me a "Thailand-Triumph" is ok.
Eric
Have a read of this thread if that dose not convince you of how good the Scrambler is then you won't buy one and you will miss out on the most fun bike that is on the market today.
kiwicaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #16330
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Eric
I have a 06 Scrambler & made in England as far as I can work out & a 09 Thruxton which would be a Thailand bike & to be honest the Thruxton is build to a better standard...now that could just be these two bikes or the Thruxton is built better as it's the flagship of the Classic twins..don't know but I don't think it matters where it's from, it's about the ride & the classic look.

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #16331
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 762
Quality is the same at both plants. We sell a boat load of 865 bikes and there is no difference.
And lots of Harley stuff is made overseas. It's how the world works now.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #16332
Checkers
Scrambled

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Eric
Edited from GTriders.com about a Thailand Triumph factory tour they arranged.

...we wondered through the 3 huge state of the art factories over 4 hours.

...However I will say how totally impressed I was with the state of the art machinery, the quality of manufacture and product, the U.K. regulation work conditions and environment, the Q.C. inspectors and checks at every point of fabrication and the shear size of outfit, these factories produce 62 motorcycles per day!

...The management's attention to detail was extraordinary.
Each production process has been broken down into parts: A,B,C,D etc.
With encapsulated instructions.
Also, where appropriate, testing jigs have been created to check the finished product - holes drilled in the correct place and correct depth etc.
At the end of each process it is checked by a part of the QC team, answering to a separate QC management, checking the finished item before it proceeded to the next stage.
We were astonished to be shown examples of those that had failed the test: a white tank that was covered in felt-tip circles indicating -to our eyes at least- invisible blemishes: too orange here, a spec of dust there.

The same went with the chroming, where we saw a number of the new T'bird engine cases that had failed their rigorous standards.

Another element in modern manufacturing is the need for stringent metallurgical tests.
An ingot is taken from the batch of every casting and checked for its content.
Also each machine is recalibrated before each shift starts work.

You can read the full tour story here:
http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-mot...honburi/page2?

Checkers screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 09:14 PM
Checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #16333
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,984
My hinkley modern triumph leaked oil. My 2012 modern triumph does not.

So there's that.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #16334
That Reverend Again
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
What's with all this shizz about so-called reliability issues between UK / Thai built Scrammies?

The facts speak for themselves. High sales and low warranty returns, loads and loads of satisfied customers and a justly gained reputation as a bullet proof engine.

Electronic ancillaries will always be the weak link with any automotive machinery, witness the F1 GP retirements, so just pay your money, enjoy the bike and ride it as hard as you like.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #16335
specnoodle
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Cool2 few snaps of my scrambler

about 3 puddles after this i found myself in one exhaust deep!!! but i failed to take a picture for soem reason
specnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote