User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #31
Quedok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
New Rocket

I just picked up my New Rocket Roadster this morning. The torque is very useful especially when changing lanes to pass. No downshifting at all, just a slight twist of the wrist and it's a done deal. I have already gotten lots of looks and stares. I promise you one thing, you will probably not run across another one during an average ride. These bike are so rare on the road.
Anyway, got to go. It's sunny outside and my new bike is calling me.
Quedok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #32
speednut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I wonderabout insurance costs?
speednut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #33
Harleytoo OP
Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by speednut View Post
I wonderabout insurance costs?
Should be about the same. Both are cruisers and the offset in an increase in insurance for the larger engine is probably off-set by the lower cost of the bike.

'07 BMW R1200 GS Adv
'05 Harley Road King Custom
Harleytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #34
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
I'm surprised nobody so far mentioned Rocket Touring version - do you guys not get that model on your side of the pond? That would really surprise me, I would have thought it was made especially with the American market in mind...

I thought of it straight away as it comes already equipped with hard bags and touring screen and with its single headlight it might be visually more appealing for some tastes. It might be also more acceptable to the HD rider community?

ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #35
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleytoo View Post
Chaplains role is really not to "save" or convert. It is a presence ministry. It's about being there for the Bikers we are with. If the other happens fine, but my role is to serve and support.
Great, so then be there with those who are willing to be there with you on the replacement bike of your choice. Those who would so harshly judge you based on bike brand probably aren't all that receptive to your mission or message anyway.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #36
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
I'm surprised nobody so far mentioned Rocket Touring version - do you guys not get that model on your side of the pond? That would really surprise me, I would have thought it was made especially with the American market in mind...

I thought of it straight away as it comes already equipped with hard bags and touring screen and with its single headlight it might be visually more appealing for some tastes. It might be also more acceptable to the HD rider community?

It's tuned for 40 fewer horses and 13 less ft/lb of torque. I'd rather fit an aftermarket windscreen and bags to the Roadster personally.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #37
Harleytoo OP
Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
It's tuned for 40 fewer horses and 13 less ft/lb of torque. I'd rather fit an aftermarket windscreen and bags to the Roadster personally.
Actually the one time I rode a touring model it fit me poorly

'07 BMW R1200 GS Adv
'05 Harley Road King Custom
Harleytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:16 AM   #38
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 686
R3T is tuned for Euro 3 specs. A set of Triumph performance pipes (TOR) and the tune that goes with it-instant 17-20 hp.
The R3T handles way better than it looks-it's quite nimble.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #39
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
http://carpenterracing.com/RIII_SB_899.htm

Triumph Rocket III Breaks the Eight-Second Barrier

The Carpenter Racing Triumph Rocket III “Silverback” has lived up to its billing, breaking the eight-second barrier in the quarter mile – the first ever for a normally-aspirated street cruiser. Rider Marcelo "Alex" Galligani rode the bike to an 8.993 second elapsed time Atco Raceway in New Jersey.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan

Trailrider200 screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 05:51 AM
Trailrider200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #40
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
that's kind of like saying it's Mike Tyson with a bit of a runny nose. He still wont have any problem kicking your a$$.

I don't know why the R3T doesn't sell better here. It looks like Triumph has dropped it for 2013. Maybe it's a victim of the weak economy.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #41
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 686
The number one thing we heard at the dealership, over and over, where is the music and cruise control?
That's the FIRST thing every Victory browser looks for and asks about and is one of the main reasons people buy that bike. I've plenty of miles on both and in the motor dept. the Triumph has a much bigger presence.

There are always other factors involved but the air-cooled V-twins are no match.

We have Victory and Triumph.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #42
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleytoo View Post
Hey guys, has been a while since I have been on this forum, but had a question that I expect I can get some honest feedback on with a bit of a limit to the bashing if I go to either a Triumph or Harley forum.

I recently sold my '07 R1200 GSA and have continued to ride my '05 Harley Road King Custom. I have done a lot of upgrades to this bike, engine, suspension, many custom parts - it is one of a kind and set up for me to enjoy around town or on thousand mile trips. Lots of storage, comfortable, decent performance.

The down side is really only the vibration and the fact that I often smell of fuel when I get back from a ride (they have never been able to get it to not run a bit rich).

Anyhow, I have owned many Triumphs in the past and really love their bikes. I have lately been considering the Rocket 3 Roadster as a replacement for my 40,000 mile Harley. I can get a really good deal on one right now from a local dealer as well.

The Harley has copious amounts of storage with hard bags and a Tour pac. If I go to the Rocket I will have to pick up bags (probably Corbin beetle bags) to even get anywhere near the storage of the Harley and even then it will be short.

The main reasons for my potential move is better performance (the 2300cc Rocket 3 has it in spades), the improved breaking (Rocket comes with ABS - the brakes on my '05 Harley are weak to say the least), and the thought that I could easily get 100k miles out of that big Triumph in-line three cylinder. It also seems like it will take less general maintenance as they are at 10K mile intervals.

The down side to the Rocket 3, aside from the storage, would probably be the cost of replacing that 240mm rear tire every 6-8,000 miles.

Would love to hear you guys thoughts. I am not touring as much as I used to on the Harley. So aide from some commuting (mostly highway), it will get take on a few 500 mile trips and maybe 1 1000+ mile trip per year. I put anywhere from 5-10,000 miles per year on my bike in general.

Thoughts?
One of my biggest regrets is NOT buying the Rocket III when it first came out. Lack of air suspension for two-upping did it. Every time I open the throttle on my ordinary cruiser, I wish I had the Triumph. If you're a guy that rides a cruiser at parade speeds.. well, then, all that power will be a waste. If, however, you're a seasoned veteran with big balls and a penchant for power, the Rocket satisfies like no other.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #43
Harry Backer
Ran when parked!

Oddometer: 373
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEuzxC4eGc This may help.
Harry Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #44
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,143
Oh hell yeah! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rla9KU0m808
Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #45
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
I think the Rocket III suffers the same fate as Harley's VRod. Both fill a nitch market that is not going to give either manufacture a ton of sales.