Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #1111
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
Seems to be exactly my experiences while traveling. Throw in some flat tires, or engine troubles and you really get to see the true side of society!
Yeah, when you're by yourself, in a foreign land, having troubles with the bike and even more trouble communicating, it seems to really bring out the good stuff in people.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #1112
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
It's 5 am, and as soon as Luisa gets up we will ride to the border.
It's been 6 month since we came into the US in Naco,AZ.
It is a country with incredibly beautiful places and amazingly friendly and helpful people. We didn't have nothing but positive experiences and lots of great memories , but most of all, we made many new friends!!!
Muchas gracias !!!
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #1113
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,966
Quote:
It is a country with incredibly beautiful places and amazingly friendly and helpful people. We didn't have nothing but positive experiences and lots of great memories , but most of all, we made many new friends!!!
Muchas gracias !!!
And we made new friends as well! Safe travels!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #1114
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Wicked Back in mexico

WE ARE BACK IN MEXICO !!!!!!

We crossed at Lukeville this morning early and it took me only 30 minutes and 3 episodes to make me feel back home again in Latin America.

1) I had to go to the bank to pay the immigration fee ; the small bank was open, but nobody at the desk . I waited a while,then I went out on the street to a taco stand and asked the taco guy if he knew where the banker was...he was right there , having his breakfast burritos. He finished his breakfast and then he got back at his desk in the open and loneley bank

2) 10 km after the border I was about to pass a bus when the bus pulled out as well to pass a truck...my only option was the shoulder and we all passed whoever we had in front of us

3) 20 km further on there was a long straight stretch of the road , speedlimit 100 KM and double yellow line . I had 2 semis in front of me , nobody on the oncoming lane so I went for the pass at 140 km/h . As I was about to be done with my passing, a Federales car came along. They did not even look at me

It's great to be back in a part of the world where not everything is perfect , but with so much less rules .
Travelling gives us the chance to enjoy the best of every place we go to
I LOVE IT
Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #1115
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybum View Post
Come back soon! I need more cooking lessons............
I will, but I'm working on a plan to get you down to Guatemala first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post

It was a great pleasure for us to be a small part of your cool ride. Safe travels, Julio & Luisa.

Thank you Roger , we hope everything is going well and as planed up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holckster View Post
Same here. may we meet again.

Thank you Doug , I'm sure we will . You better come see us , because you know what happens if we come to visit: we have a tendency to overstay in places that we like
Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #1116
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
The more I travel, the more I am convinced that the world is full of mostly good, friendly people. In my two years on the bike, I cant really recall one negative experience I had. There are bad people out there, but I didnt meet many of them, thats for sure. Before I left on my extended moto travels I was a little down on people in general. Traveling is a great way to see reality and discard all the bullshit that is fed to us on television.

I'm very happy that you had nothing but great experiences in the U.S.A.

I probably shouldnt have shown you that Dust to Glory movie of all the sand and silt in Baja. Next time we'll ride Baja.

Buen viaje! ¡Viva Mexico!

Baja is on the list, but with a smaller and much lighter bike , especially after watching that movie

Gracias por todo , and yes VIVA MEXICO !!!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #1117
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
Seems to be exactly my experiences while travelling. Throw in some flat tires, or engine troubles and you really get to see the true side of society!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
And we made new friends as well! Safe travels!!

Thank you Mark, safe travels to you as well,enjoy Bolivia and please don't forget my PM
Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #1118
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Last stop in the US

Our last stop in the US was in Ajo, Arizona. We were surprised to see the similarities with the place were we had our first stop in the US, Bisbee,Arizona.
Both are old mining towns, both almost disappeared from the map when the mine shot down, both have become home for many snowbirds running away from the cold winter up north .
And both had somebody , willing to host two completely strangers in their home
It was the first time that we tried couchsurfing and we met this lovely couple, Gayle and Don who had hoosted other riders before. They showed us around town, they took us to some kids Halloween parade and in the evening we were sitting in front of their house with them and one neighbor , drinking wine ,enjoying the desert sky and handing out candies to a lot of kids who came by.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #1119
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Lukeville border crossing

Lukeville border crossing was pretty easy .
Migracion , the you go to the bank on the other side of the street, pay your 294 pesos, get back to Migracion and you are on your way .
There are no money changers on the street and there are only 2 casas de cambio there : One was closed and the other one did not have any pesos

About 150 KM after the border , right after Caborca , there is Aduana where you get your TVIP . If you got all your documents in order you are done in 5 minutes . I was asked for my title(wich I didn't have) and now i was in trouble. They insisted that the registration is not a proof of ownership etc. I talked for a long time with the guy at the desk, finally with the manager of Banjercito, showed them my prior entry and exit documents, managed finally to convince the lady to call the border in Chiappas in order to find out that Guatemaltecos are allowed to cross the border just with the registration . After 1 hour finally she said it would be OK for us to bring my bike into Mexico .
I guess I was pretty lucky, without speaking Spanish it would have been hard to get it done . But during the whole time, everybody was being very friendly ; Luisa got the worst part , because while I was in the bank with AC she was out at the parkinglot watching the bike
Old 11-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #1120
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,051
Your ability to speak Spanish and your ability to speak "patience" are two fine qualities you have.
Great post about passing the trucks and the federales, by the way. ja,ja!
Give Shawn my regards, please.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #1121
ficoszac
y...ahora???

Oddometer: 144
hi from Zacatecas

hola amigos, no puedo contestar por inbox, te recomiendo que mejor tomes la ruta, hidalgo-jimenez-torreon-zacatecas, el costo del cuarto en el hotel posada de los condes av. juarez 107 zacatecas zacs, costo de $370 por noche, mi tel es el 492 112 3574, si quires te puedo reservar una habitacion, parking on the lobby, saludos
ficoszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #1122
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 669
Julio and Luisa, I have been following your RR With much interest. We met at Rob's house in Wasilla. Congratulations on a successful trip. It was a pleasure to meet you. Dick. (green shirt in the BBQ pix)

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #1123
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Creel

After 2 days out in the woods at the Basaseachi Falls (this time with water) we arrived today in Creel where we met my good friend Shawn, who rode his bike down all the way from Kansas City just to spent a few days with us

Really great to see him again
Old 11-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #1124
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 588
Please post some photos of Creel. I'm going there in January and would like to have a preview. Glad you had a enjoyable trip to the states. I hope to meet you whenever I get back to Guatemala.

TravelGuy.

Quote:
After 2 days out in the woods at the Basaseachi Falls (this time with water) we arrived today in Creel where we met my good friend Shawn, who rode his bike down all the way from Kansas City just to spent a few days with us

Really great to see him again
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #1125
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Your ability to speak Spanish and your ability to speak "patience" are two fine qualities you have.
Great post about passing the trucks and the federales, by the way. ja,ja!
Give Shawn my regards, please.
Regards were passed on, just spent a pleasant afternoon and evening with Shawn .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficoszac View Post
hola amigos, no puedo contestar por inbox, te recomiendo que mejor tomes la ruta, hidalgo-jimenez-torreon-zacatecas, el costo del cuarto en el hotel posada de los condes av. juarez 107 zacatecas zacs, costo de $370 por noche, mi tel es el 492 112 3574, si quires te puedo reservar una habitacion, parking on the lobby, saludos
Gracias !!!