Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,757
I'm a crappy intermediate rider, but I have ridden both back to back, so maybe this will be helpful.

The 4RT is, as has been suggested, an awesome trailbike. I would say it's only an OK competition bike tho, it does everything well but the 2 strokes feel lighter on their feet in general, and the sherco, in particular, turns better for someone who doesn't hop. IMHO, of course.

The Sherco seems to be reliable if my friends' experience are anything to go by, so is the 4RT.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
Hypermofo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Thanks all... and Ned, I'm supposed to believe "crappy intermediate rider"

Kidding aside, I'm leaning toward the montesa for three reasons: it's closer, it looks to be in excellent shape (need to see it in person though), and consensus is that it would be a better trail bike which i will use it as some.

I'll let you all know the outcome...
Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
nwcycle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Also.............

Are the prices the same?
The 07 Sherco has to be most likely one of the most bullet proof of the shercos,
The monty, does have a bit more grunt power, but I feel once you learn or get the knack, you would progress more on the 2.9 Sherco
Not to mention, you might just want to do a part for part cost avg.?
on some of the higher break items, Most likely you wont have to do a top end, but price all the so called nickle dime stuff
I only have to speak from experience, But the people at RYP are huge supporters of the Trials world, and I feel its important to support those who support our hobby.
I am not aware of the other guys, And what they do, I only hope they are as helpful, as in all reality, You cant go wrong with either choice.....
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,073
Never ridden or even seen a Sherco, so can't comment on those.

I have been around an '05 4RT for 4 years or so. It's not mine but I've ridden it allot and have worked on it as well (all it's ever needed has been regular maintenance). Since my bro. in law has had it it's been very reliable, never failed to start, and nothing has broken (that wasn't caused by crashing). We have only used it as a trail and play bike - it's a great bike for that and most excellent fun. Don't know about real trials competition - haven't done that.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #20
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Again nobody is really saying much bad against the honda, except in the USA parts might be harder to come by? I have been told again and again, that you cannot just goto honda to get parts for the "trials bikes" like many might think you can.

They have not been imported into the USA, and so parts might be harder to find. Hell, the 06 gasgas or even 06 sherco could be in the same boat "sort of" only because the used parts like fenders and such arent being produced, and are inventory items that will get used up, but pistons, and shit that haven't changed much should be easily found for beta, gasgas, sherco, heck even the Ossa... I personally do not know how readily available some parts are for the 4rt.

the 4rt is favored by some, especially because of the Fuel Injection, at places where you live at 2000ft but ride at 2000ft or 8000ft elevations, according to many replies from the NMTA riders for example.

I personally am used to having 3 places I can get almost any part: Lewisport, Ryan Young, Tryals Shoppe or someone. When my family lived in Denver, we might been able to "kind of shop local for some parts and bikes (at the time it was Bultaco)" but I live in Kansas for 30 years, and where I live we don't even have a used car dealer, or movie theater, or McDonalds within 30 miles, people with BMW's have to drive 130 miles to get them worked on....

Plus, There were not so many "Bultaco" dealers back in the day, since I live in the boonies, I'm used to that, and if you are, then no problem. I had at one time, 5 gasgas. plus 14 of my close friends had gasgas. if I didnt personally own the spare I need, one of the 14 might, or I had to wait for it to be shipped.

Your 1st thing you should consider when buying a bike to compete or NOT, is how hard is it going to be to get parts, and help when I need parts or have a problem. IMHO anyhow. then weigh that, with your pick of the one you think will suit you. I just dont want you to pick either one, then complain you cannot find parts like you might be doing with your Yamaha, suz, kaw, ktm or whatever you have now.... trials bikes are bastard stepchilds, lol.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote