Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #601
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
Armstrong's problem was that he cheated too well. Hell, we all know they all cheated and doped, and most have admitted to it or gotten caught. He needed to be smart about it and throw in some mixed results - not win 7 straight TDF. He could have come back from cancer, won a couple tours, retired as a cancer survivor and role model, and lived happily ever after with his charity and millions in endorsements. If this doping stuff came up, he could have come clean, acknowledged it was rampant and played it off like he is now interested in cleaning up the sport for the love of cycling. More accolades would follow, for being honest and a sportsman.

But, he is a narcissist and an egomaniac - he couldn't stop. He needed to head the lesson of Icarus. Ultimately a man's integrity is all he has, and Armstrong has none.
+1

He should never have come back from retirement. Things cost messy after that.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #602
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,074
Lance Armstrong celebrity guy to burn at Edenbridge

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #603
Frougby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
Armstrong's problem was that he cheated too well. Hell, we all know they all cheated and doped, and most have admitted to it or gotten caught. He needed to be smart about it and throw in some mixed results - not win 7 straight TDF. He could have come back from cancer, won a couple tours, retired as a cancer survivor and role model, and lived happily ever after with his charity and millions in endorsements. If this doping stuff came up, he could have come clean, acknowledged it was rampant and played it off like he is now interested in cleaning up the sport for the love of cycling. More accolades would follow, for being honest and a sportsman.

But, he is a narcissist and an egomaniac - he couldn't stop. He needed to head the lesson of Icarus. Ultimately a man's integrity is all he has, and Armstrong has none.
Well shit! What did we expect him to do? I was the most vociferous armstrong detractor starting in 1999. If you knew anything about cycling you knew he was doping/performance enhancing/etc. I was more pissed at his new naive fans of the TDF than I was at him for claiming he was clean and so superior. We've all seen the meatheads that chant USA USA USA wherever they go and especially during those years.

I am shocked at myself now to say that he shouldn't lose his titles unless it is possible to find someone who finished in the top 20 of the TDF that did not cheat. He was the best of the doping era.

Furthermore, his corporate sponsors that are dropping him now should be boycotted by the shopping and investing public. If these corps. staff were that naive about what was going on in cycling during that era and thought that LA was not cheating - they are stupid as children and these corps. are incapable of providing a decent product or at least providing a decent product at an efficient price so don't buy any of their crap.
Frougby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #604
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frougby View Post
Furthermore, his corporate sponsors that are dropping him now should be boycotted by the shopping and investing public. If these corps. staff were that naive about what was going on in cycling during that era and thought that LA was not cheating - they are stupid as children and these corps. are incapable of providing a decent product or at least providing a decent product at an efficient price so don't buy any of their crap.
Agreed, some sponsors are so bold as to even try and sue the UCI for tarnishing the sport of cycling by letting Lance ride. They had to be aware and are just trying to avoid complicity and reap unwarranted rewards.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_1...rmstrong-saga/

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #605
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,653
Hmmmmm. Guess who is talking about confessing?

we will see if his ego lets him.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #606
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,453
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #607
swimmer
armchair asshole

KABOOM!

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...mstrong_270788
Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #608
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,169
I wonder if he'll rat?
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #609
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,767
Not sure what he has to gain out of all this ? I read somewhere he wants to compete again ? WTF is that all about - really, he's going to confess so he can (eventually) compete again ? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #610
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,576
Immunity from prosecution and maybe reclaim is image a little so he gets endorsements again.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #611
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Not sure what he has to gain out of all this ? I read somewhere he wants to compete again ? WTF is that all about - really, he's going to confess so he can (eventually) compete again ? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Maybe a paycheck from Oprah? From what I understand the guy has the potential to be even more screwed by admitting anything as he'll open himself up to perjury issues relating to his previous court battles. He's already got a few $1M+ legal battles to deal with against former court rulings that now at least seem open to a counter suit. He seemed to want to be able to compete in running and Tri events that are sanctioned by their respective US bodies. Does that mean he starts a 2 year ban etc... I wouldn't think so. I think there are a lot of the general public who haven't followed cycling relatively closely enough or know about the culture that think LA was the victim of some sort of witch hunt and not the massive prick that he apparently is and maybe he trying to get those people on his side. I don't know but I sure as hell am going to watch.

The one question I would want Oprah to ask him would be "you falsely slandered people, their families, their integrity costing them career opportunities and damaging their reputations. How does that make you feel?"
Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #612
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
I wonder if he'll rat?
WTF are you talking about? He is the rat.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #613
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oh, and I am sure there will be a bunch of LIivestrong bullshit and how wonderful it is when really it's just a self-promotion, image protecting, cash cow for LA with huge amount of cash in the bank that doesn't spend any money on research etc....
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #614
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The one question I would want Oprah to ask him would be "you falsely slandered people, their families, their integrity costing them career opportunities and damaging their reputations. How does that make you feel?"
I'd add "and what do you feel you owe them?"

Damn straight Swimmer, the wake of damage that followed this guy is beyond forgiving. I don't know if Oprah knows enough about what went on, or if she runs the kind of show where the really hard questions will be asked. I'll be watching too.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #615
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
I'd add "and what do you feel you owe them?"

Damn straight Swimmer, the wake of damage that followed this guy is beyond forgiving. I don't know if Oprah knows enough about what went on, or if she runs the kind of show where the really hard questions will be asked. I'll be watching too.
Like Oprah has ever ridden a bike

Her sole job is to sell shit so be interesting to see what she says.

I still can't see an upside for Armstrong for doing this...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: