Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #31
KennyT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Get the scooter already!!! You have over complicated it! :)
Seriously, you will love any of them in the conversation. Money doesn't sound too tight, so next year if you decide you need a bigger bike, get it and you will have started your stable. Know that little scooters always have there place, so you will still use it...
Post pictures, because we all love looking at them!
And become a fan of http://www.facebook.com/NapervilleScooter on Facebook! (Shameless self promotion!)
Ken
Old 11-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #32
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Go with the biggest one! The full size maxi scooter!
BMW 600GS,,,,, Suzuki Burgman 650,,,,,,,,,Honda Silver Wing!

you'll be sorry and later regret it that you went with a 150-200cc scoot and once you get good and confident in riding it you'll want more power and perfomance!

instead of wasting time and money on one thats too small just go with the full size one!

(the full size maxi scooters are just as easy to ride than the smaller scooters)

what about your friends and family? do you want to really impress them? They will be impressed with one of the full size maxi scooters! everybody will be impressed, including me! if you go putt-putt around in a little 150cc scooter those same people will laugh and make fun of you!
I have learned to spend the extra money for the best is the way to go... case in point I just bought a new washing machine, I wanted a top loader, I could have got a cheap one for $400 but I went with the top of the line Samsung HE washer with a glass see-thru top, this washer is amazing! it only fills up with 6" of water and it spins dry at 800 RPM's where the clothes are almost dry when they come out so they spend less time in the dryer saving more energy, my water bill has gone down $40 a month and my electric bill is down $15! and my new washer is a hit with friends and family, they all come over and watch it thru the glass top and are amazed how it works,,,, the lesson learned is I get respect by friends and family for owning the best product out there,,,,, the same way you'll get respect by owning one of the top of the line maxi scooters!

Tacoma screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 02:19 AM
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #33
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
I'd by used and I'd buy either the Honda or the yamaha. They are going to be the easiest to buy parts for and they have the largest dealer networks. Also if you plan on reselling everyone knows these brands.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #34
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,119
Troll Alert!!!

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #35
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromper View Post
Just to add to the mess I'm surprised none of the other big wheel scoots have come up.
In the used market aka more bang for buck & less painful when you drop it..the HD200, Kymco people 250, & the Honda SH150I come to mind. I have an HD around, it does do freeway speeds. The people 250 has similar power to weight, & the SH150I is a similar class, not quite as powerful, but a solid machine. It was the other half of the 50/50 success of Honda scooters a couple years ago. The PCX125 was the winner in that round, & the PCX 150 is the followup on that. Personally I liked the SH150 a bit more, but heck I wasn't buying at the time so there ya go .
You do know that the Sports City IS a big wheeled scooter. In fact the SH150 is pretty close to being a clone of it. Here's the Sports City 125 http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Mode.../Overview.aspx though the 250 is the most commonly found Sports City in the US.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #36
MotoRandy123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I'd go for a fuel injected one. If it sits for a while you won't have to clean the carb to get it going.

There are small scooters and large scooters. 250cc is on the large size below that is small (in
my opinion). The length and weight make them small or large too. My Kymco Yager is in between.
It's a 175cc fuel injected scoot but is only 5' long. It will run on the highway but feels small out there.

My primary concern was max power with the best fuel mileage. Some of those big scoots get 40 MPG
that's the same as my car!

Big wheels don't necessarily mean better. I had an Aprilia Scarabeo 500 and it "fell" into the corners.
It wouldn't lean wouldn't lean wouldn't lean then fell over quickly. Not as sporty a ride as you might like.

The Yager has 13 and 12" wheels and darts around nicely. So for maximum fun I'd look for a 250 - 300
with fuel injection and small wheels (but not 10"!)...
MotoRandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #37
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I'm glad I didn't start with my Aprilia which is much more complicated to work on.
I'll pretend I didn't see that.

I just shook hands an a 2009 SC250 Saturday afternoon. All went well until the financing guys tried their magic tricks. I finally said, "How about you give me a purchase order, I'll call my credit union Monday and bring a check to you on Tuesday." They agreed so the ball is now in my court.

As for price, it's not going into the records as a bargain, but I'm satisfied. I had a target price and they came in under it with their second offer so I gladly accepted.

I was going to snap pictures of it but they pulled it from the showroom before I thought about that.

So, a big thank you to everyone, in particular the Sportcity contributions from cdwise, and Klaviator's ride reports I'm feeling like I made a great choice.

Sean
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #38
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Congratulations. I think you will enjoy it. Yes, it is a bit complicated to work on but on the other hand, the service intervals are much longer than most other scooters and the first service that I would consider complicated doesn't come until 12,500 miles.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #39
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, desire goes a long way towards knowledge and accomplishment. I have no doubt I'll do regular maintenance as opposed to paying for it.

Aside from the input from inmates here, the fact that it was 250cc played a big part. I set out to learn how to ride a motorcycle and while not technically a motorcycle, it's specs are not too far off from the suzuki tu250 or honda cbr250 that I had on my short list of bikes on which to learn.

On a separate note, any advice on some decent riding pants? Cycle gear in town has a limited selection. The shop where I purchased the scooter from has river road and first gear. I think I'd prefer jeans but they don't seem to have hip protection.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #40
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post

On a separate note, any advice on some decent riding pants? Cycle gear in town has a limited selection. The shop where I purchased the scooter from has river road and first gear. I think I'd prefer jeans but they don't seem to have hip protection.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Most pants don't have much hip protection but you can always wear armored riding shorts underneath. The pants that I use a lot because they are so easy to put on and off are the Fieldshear slip on pants. They are very basic overpants with full length side zippers and adjustable knee armor. The price is right too: $80.99
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...cle_pants.html
The nice thing about these pants is you can wear them over jeans and then easily take them off when you get where you are going.

For hot weather I wear kevlar reinforced jeans or mesh pants. My latest pair are some Kevlar reinforced cargo pants that I got at Cycle Gear for around $50. http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...nts/web1009965
The thing with Cycle Gear store brands, don't ever pay full price. Wait a bit and it WILL go on sale.

klaviator screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 02:00 PM
Old 11-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #41
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,002
I think you will be perfectly happy with the SC250. It is a very nice scooter. But I would learn to do your own maintenance. Not surprised the dealer tried to scam you. I bought my last 3 new bikes with cashiers checks, after making a deal. That way they couldn't try to add anything on when I actually went to pick them up. I made it very clear to them that I was not paying for freight, setup, extended warranty, or a service agreement. I showed them a copy of my online bank statement to prove to them that I was a serious and qualified buyer, and ready to buy on the spot if the price was right.

I like riding riding in jeans for the look. I'm not the Aerostitch Roadcrafter type. I recommend looking into Draggin Jeans. They look just like jeans, but have built in armor. I wear a black leather jacket when it is cold, and a black mesh jacket when it isn't. I wear a solid white full face helmet for protection and visibility.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #42
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got this jacket yesterday from the dealer, Speed and Strenght Textile Sevin Sins in Hi Viz
http://ssgear.com/catalog/item.cfm?I...c-0683d183fc5e

Got this Shoei RF 1100 full face white even before the MSF course
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet....-1100&h=18&t=1

And, like you Jerry, I'd prefer to wear jeans. I tried on the pair that Klaviator recommended at cycle gear. They had both the denim and cargo pants. I was waiting til I got my certificate from MSF to get my 15% discount. I then saw them on sale online earlier this week for $69 but didn't pull the trigger, now they are back at full price.
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ans/web1009966

thanks again.
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #43
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,002
Nice jacket. I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 that I bought a couple of years ago, and paid about the same for, from denniskirk.com You sure got an expensive helmet. Nice, but expensive. Out of my price range. I got my HJC CL-16 for about $120 from motorcycle-superstore.com
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #44
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Thumb Congrats

The SC250 sounds pretty much where you want to be, I'm sure it'll work well for ya.

Keep the shiny side up
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote