Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #16336
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Hey Max, I ordered up one of those Speed Mechant front sproket covers for my Scram because I liked the looks in the side-on pics. Alas, when it arrived I discovered it was disgustingly heavy so I refused to fit it. I have a personal rule that any replacement part must be lighter than the part replaced. I would shudder to think how much extra weight you have added with that finned timing cover knowing how thick the sprocket cover was in its cross section!

To be exact with the above comments, the original sprocket cover weighs .82kg and the Speed Merchant item weighed in at .77kg so I stuck with the MAS sproket cover previously fitted that weighs .2kg. Less weight=better acceleration and handling.

BTW, You bike looks sweet as an overall package!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #16337
Sunshine 72
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Last mods

Hope you like the last mods on my scrambler new seat, fenders, subchassis etc

Sunshine 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #16338
DoubleCafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Hey Sunshine,
The Scram looks great! Did you fabricate the fenders yourself, are they aluminum?
Thx
1982 Montesa Cota 349
DoubleCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #16339
Tritwin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCafe View Post
Hey Sunshine,
The Scram looks great! Did you fabricate the fenders yourself, are they aluminum?
Thx
Great looking bike, that is how the scram should look from the factory.
Much better look, when cut the rear frame
Tritwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #16340
specnoodle
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thumb Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine 72 View Post
Hope you like the last mods on my scrambler new seat, fenders, subchassis etc

that looks brilliant! if my scram wasn't on finance id chop it like that!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #16341
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear View Post
Hey Max, I ordered up one of those Speed Mechant front sproket covers for my Scram because I liked the looks in the side-on pics. Alas, when it arrived I discovered it was disgustingly heavy so I refused to fit it. I have a personal rule that any replacement part must be lighter than the part replaced. I would shudder to think how much extra weight you have added with that finned timing cover knowing how thick the sprocket cover was in its cross section!

To be exact with the above comments, the original sprocket cover weighs .82kg and the Speed Merchant item weighed in at .77kg so I stuck with the MAS sproket cover previously fitted that weighs .2kg. Less weight=better acceleration and handling.

BTW, You bike looks sweet as an overall package!
Thanks Griz.
I don't recall my side covers being overly heavy at the time - it is cast aluminum right? And I did not weigh them.
But I agree with you, parts replacement should equal to or lighter than stock.
Thats hard to do here in ADV land. Racks, skidplates, guards, mounts etc all add up to make a bike heavy ...fast.
And everybody adds that crap round here.

Now if I just had a motor like yours, for some real punch.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #16342
Blinky03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by frichtie View Post
I will see that movie. The trailer is working!

Now....I just read somewhere that....the Scrambler was assembled in Thailand!
TELL ME IT'S NOT TRUE......please. Cause I recently sold my Transalp. And my R80G/SPD.
Have some serious projects like building a new house and a few other things...I will buying a new bike in 2 years. And I want it to be a Scrambler. But I'm not buying a Thaï bike.

Eric
Careful Eric, where I come from that sort of comment has a bad name ..... My 06 was built in the UK but I don't nessassarily see it as a positive, I'm just happy with the way the bike performs.

ps: the British car industry in the 70's and 80's blows a hole in your theory about who makes quality motor vehicles
Blinky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #16343
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Yo hey, what brand are those hand guards and do they fit over stock levers?
Nice pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specnoodle View Post
about 3 puddles after this i found myself in one exhaust deep!!! but i failed to take a picture for soem reason
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #16344
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Rectifier?

Winter brings less riding & more tuning. One of the last annoying things on “my precious” is the layout of the rectifier under the headlight. Moving it on the place of the horn is frequent although it doesn´t IMHO save the show at all. It still destroys the clean classical lines and looks again somehow strange on that place. Me no likey.
I was looking on other bikes and their rectifiers recently but I still have no satisfactory solution. I´d like to hide it somewhere it the under-seat area... Any suggestions or experience?

BTW this is the weirdest locations I have seen: BMW F800 engine “cooled” rectifier .

Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #16345
ferals5
f5eral

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen View Post
Winter brings less riding & more tuning. One of the last annoying things on “my precious” is the layout of the rectifier under the headlight. Moving it on the place of the horn is frequent although it doesn´t IMHO save the show at all. It still destroys the clean classical lines and looks again somehow strange on that place. Me no likey.
I was looking on other bikes and their rectifiers recently but I still have no satisfactory solution. I´d like to hide it somewhere it the under-seat area... Any suggestions or experience?

BTW this is the weirdest locations I have seen: BMW F800 engine “cooled” rectifier .

I moved my dakar VR from under seat/ behind engine to out in the breeze on the side of the engine. Much more betterer voltage regulator dumps heat much more efficiently.

You can see it on the right side of engine . Not sure where I'd move the scrambler one to. Sometimes I think it sticks out like dogs balls but then I forget all about it when riding

ferals5 screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 05:42 PM Reason: don't know left from right ;-)
ferals5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #16346
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
I moved my dakar VR from under seat/ behind engine to out in the breeze on the side of the engine. Much more betterer voltage regulator dumps heat much more efficiently.
You can see it on the left side of engine . Not sure where I'd move the scrambler one to. Sometimes I think it sticks out like dogs balls but then I forget all about it when riding
And there lies the reason for its location. Although I have not felt my regulator to see if gets hot. In the air, stays cool IMO.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #16347
MikeD.
mmm, Chicken Strips

Oddometer: 72
RE: Rectifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen View Post
...edit... I´d like to hide it somewhere it the under-seat area... Any suggestions or experience?
I used to have a BMW F650 which has the rectifier mounted under the seat and it stayed very hot there. Most owners over on F650.com relocate it to prevent heat related failures. I moved mine out from under the seat and put it on the front forks (just like the Scram) as it seemed the best location for cooling. Of course the F650 has a small front fairing so it did not change the appearance of the front of the bike. I have heard mention of replacing the Triumph Rectifier with a MOSFET unit which does not get as hot then moving it under the tank. If you have the airbox delete, there should be plenty of room behind the side covers which should have plenty of airflow for the stock unit (considerable rewiring necessary obviously).
MikeD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #16348
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,104
R/r

PO moved my R/R under the seat, and said he had no trouble (Lamented was the owner). I didn't feel like moving it, but didn't want to risk an overheat-failure, so I bought a mosfet version and kept it under the seat. Hasn't been tested much, but living in NYC, it doesn't take much riding to test heating issues, since there are stoplights and traffic every 50 feet.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #16349
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 305
Yep, I sure do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine 72 View Post
Hope you like the last mods on my scrambler

RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #16350
specnoodle
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
Yo hey, what brand are those hand guards and do they fit over stock levers?
Nice pics.
i got these from busters a uk company, got them off ebay they fit over standard lever with out the bar ends n clamp to the bars. if your looking for good wind protection tho i would replace the plastics with some bigger ones,im considering that myself. but still they where only £30 ish if you want il post up a few pictures