ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #31
jules083
Beastly Adventurer
 
jules083's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,801
Nice truck man, congrats. It's nice to see a well taken care of 7.3, there aren't many at this point.

That thing makes mine look like it belongs in the junkyard. Our road salt kills them here in the winter, plus the last few owners weren't very kind to her.
__________________
COBDR and UTBDR on my klx250:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #32
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...
 
DaFoole's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: BFE, SW Oregon/SF BayO'rea
Oddometer: 4,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSPL View Post
Double check that stock airbox for cracks. You may want to go ahead and do the 6637 mod now, just because it'll work better with the exhaust and chip you have.
Will check that out. Thanks all for the heads up.
__________________
"...when I handed the 40 ouncer to him, he got that far off stare that a cat gets when it just gets done licking its ass for the last 15". Yeah, THAT stare." -WTF-Over
"Don't come in here with your thoughtfulness, empathy, and reason... this is shit, up with which, I shall not put." -Boondoggle
DaFoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #33
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...
 
DaFoole's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: BFE, SW Oregon/SF BayO'rea
Oddometer: 4,015
So, just an update. Have added about 2200 miles to the truck since purchasing. Getting 14-15 mpg around town. Got 17-18 towing a (large) bike trailer and two bikes up and back from SW Oregon to the SF area (960 miles in one day!!). Lots of passes, climbing on I-5 and Hwy 101. Got 22mpg doing the same route not towing but a fair amount of crap in the back. Kept it out of the turbo most of the time (68mph at around 1800 rpm). Oh, and WAAAY more comfy than my Xterra!! I'm lovin' this truck!!!

__________________
"...when I handed the 40 ouncer to him, he got that far off stare that a cat gets when it just gets done licking its ass for the last 15". Yeah, THAT stare." -WTF-Over
"Don't come in here with your thoughtfulness, empathy, and reason... this is shit, up with which, I shall not put." -Boondoggle
DaFoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #34
Wasser
Spilt my beer
 
Wasser's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 4,572
97K on a 7.3. . . . hell, it ain't even broken in yet.

Nice score! Clean truck that has been well maintained and a great diesel engine.
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #35
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
I didn't read the entirety of every post but I didn't see anyone mention the failure-prone glow plug relay. It is a common issue with the 7.3 PS I read about from consumer reports and the only major fault with the engine design according to consumers anyway.

I've read that you can "install a relay from a GM 6.2L and fuggedaboutit" but no guarantees from me.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #36
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,582
congrats... nice truck!
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #37
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdub View Post
you'll get 16 in the city and maybe 19 on the highway unloaded and babied to keep the turbo from spooling
This. So many blowhards embellish/take a high-mark sample about mileage. Yes, they are more efficient than gasser's, but the big power uses fuel... when you USE the power. Do ten full tank fill-ups with mileage calcs, then report back to us. Great truck, enjoy! The most common bane for diesel's is mistreatment, neglect, improper servicing, wrong oil used, misdiagnosed poorly done repairs, and last but not least, misfueling (gasoline accidentally put in, driven until it stops). Ask lot's of Q's, see the receipts. Check the clutch feel.. some operator's are slider's and rider's.
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #38
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
FYI to the OP and Powerstroke owners...if you ever have an engine take a dive, take a look at dropping in a 12v Cummins 5.9L. It's actually a fairly common thing to drop a 12v or a 24v Cummins into a Ford trucks, people call it a "Fummins". People even convert gas trucks.

Quite a few people, including myself, believe Ford Super Duty's of any year (particularly late models) about as "bulletproof truck" as a consumer can get for a reasonable price...but the one thing that might be improved upon are the power plants especially the 6.0 although the 7.3, as mentioned here, should last forever. Kits and parts for Ford - Cummins conversions are readily available and when you're done you have a bulletproof truck with the most bulletproof yet simplistic consumer diesel engine around. Buy an Allison 1000 for it and consider yourself sitting pretty!

http://www.destroked.com/
http://www.fordcummins.com/

No I don't work for these ^ people. I myself have an old Cummins truck who's 12v I plan on dropping in a Super Duty soon enough and thought other people might be interest in the possibilities.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #39
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: central coast of California
Oddometer: 366
I have an '01 7.3l 4x4 that I ordered from the dealer because I wanted the manual trans. I've got 220k and the engine has been pretty reliable.

The clutch pedal was a bear from the factory. I was once stuck for 4 hours in bumper to bumper traffic and drove 4 moles in that 4 hours due to a snow closure. after about 3 hours I was having musscle spasms in my leg. As fate would have it my clutch went out a couple of days later and I finisnhed the trip with no clutch. when I had the clutch done the guy removed one of the two return springs on the clutch pedal and its been great.

Ford switched oil pump designs mid way durring the 99 model year. Might want to read up on that and see which you have.

These things are hard on ball joints and front rotors. also the front caliper pins tend to run dry and then cause it to pull to one side.

There are some great internet forums for 7.3L's and most of us that have em love more the more we drive em.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #40
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair
 
Devo 1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 182
Parts from other years fit fit these trucks. Here is my 99 with: 07 front, 08 box and tailgate, 09 mirrors, and 08 rear diff cover.
__________________
Whip it, whip it good.

Devo 1 screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 12:43 PM
Devo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #41
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair
 
Devo 1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 182
__________________
Whip it, whip it good.
Devo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #42
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by redprimo View Post
I have an '01 7.3l 4x4 that I ordered from the dealer because I wanted the manual trans. I've got 220k and the engine has been pretty reliable.

The clutch pedal was a bear from the factory. I was once stuck for 4 hours in bumper to bumper traffic and drove 4 moles in that 4 hours due to a snow closure. after about 3 hours I was having musscle spasms in my leg. As fate would have it my clutch went out a couple of days later and I finisnhed the trip with no clutch. when I had the clutch done the guy removed one of the two return springs on the clutch pedal and its been great.

Ford switched oil pump designs mid way durring the 99 model year. Might want to read up on that and see which you have.

These things are hard on ball joints and front rotors. also the front caliper pins tend to run dry and then cause it to pull to one side.

There are some great internet forums for 7.3L's and most of us that have em love more the more we drive em.
Idling in first gear with a couple hundred feet of cushion usually solves the traffic jam problem, or, if that didn't work, idling in low range 1st gear should. Back off... WAY off... and save the clutch
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #43
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: central coast of California
Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Idling in first gear with a couple hundred feet of cushion usually solves the traffic jam problem, or, if that didn't work, idling in low range 1st gear should. Back off... WAY off... and save the clutch
Thats the way I normally drive but when taveling one mile in an hour that ceases to be an option.

The stock clutch in the 7.3l's are prone to collapsing springs in the pressure plate, so much so that most go with a heavy duty aftermarket clutch/pressure plate when the stock one goes. I havn't heard of any problems with an aftermarket clutch.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #44
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter
 
thisflatearth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Wayne, NJ
Oddometer: 936
Just as with any reliable motor, the problem comes in with high mileage accessories.

Replaced 200k alternator only to have the 203k vacuum pump let go and take out the belt (it seized the pully and the belt heated up and popped) about 250 miles from home. My 4 door 8' bed truck with the new to me Uly in the back looked ridiculous up on a 26' flatbed. I think our total height was about 12'3"

The crank may spin forever, but be proactive on replacing the accessories bolted to the outside.
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:54 AM   #45
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
FYI to the OP and Powerstroke owners...if you ever have an engine take a dive, take a look at dropping in a 12v Cummins 5.9L. It's actually a fairly common thing to drop a 12v or a 24v Cummins into a Ford trucks, people call it a "Fummins". People even convert gas trucks.

Quite a few people, including myself, believe Ford Super Duty's of any year (particularly late models) about as "bulletproof truck" as a consumer can get for a reasonable price...but the one thing that might be improved upon are the power plants especially the 6.0 although the 7.3, as mentioned here, should last forever. Kits and parts for Ford - Cummins conversions are readily available and when you're done you have a bulletproof truck with the most bulletproof yet simplistic consumer diesel engine around. Buy an Allison 1000 for it and consider yourself sitting pretty!

http://www.destroked.com/
http://www.fordcummins.com/

No I don't work for these ^ people. I myself have an old Cummins truck who's 12v I plan on dropping in a Super Duty soon enough and thought other people might be interest in the possibilities.
as good 7.3 engines are... Cummins 12v are better.

Cummins to Ford conversions are the reason there's a baseline price for any Cummins 12v motor of about $2,000. so the junkiest 12v truck has a baseline value of the Cummins motor.

main disadvantage of 12v Cummins trucks ... interiors are getting dated and not many pristine low miles examples left.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014