Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #136
Dan Căta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_-_ View Post
Hi!

I would need a left side TB rebuild kit for my 2002 R1150GSA. I'm wondering if I should do the right side aswell while I'm at it tho.

Let me know the price + shipping to Canada - G3N 1R2

Thanks!
Sent you a PM on this.

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #137
dylanewilliams
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I need one

I sent you an email, but wanted to follow up to make sure you get it. Please PM me or email me.

Thanks!
dylanewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #138
Dan Căta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanewilliams View Post
I sent you an email, but wanted to follow up to make sure you get it. Please PM me or email me.

Thanks!
Emailed you back.

Thanks,
Dan.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #139
miro13mc
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thank you

The package arrives last week.
Thank you very much Dan!
miro13mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #140
Dan Căta OP
Beastly Adventurer

I see some users just have 1 or 2 posts, so they register here just for the kits. That's nice

Dan.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #141
KNanthrup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I received Cata Dan's kit and installed it last weekend. The kit was perfect, thank you very much.

The install was very straightforward EXCEPT for the bushing part. I did have an extremely difficult time extracting the bushings, which eventually required me to purchase a thread tap kit and a couple more hours of frustration. Other than that, everything else was super quick and easy, and it sure quieted the bike and made it run/idle better!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #142
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,606
Dan,

Have you ever considered machining other parts for the boxer such as a transmission input shaft with a longer spline to fill the clutch female spline?

Also, how about some glass cam tunnel covers for the 259 engine. The plastic ones are not very pretty.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #143
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked View Post
I had a hec of a time getting my RS body apart. Get it apart I did though, and now I have even bigger problems getting it back together...

Mine is a 2003 1150 GS Sport. The throttle bodies are labeled BING 75/ and then in smaller numbers 45/110...

Mine have the recently mentioned pressed on pulleys, so putting it back together with the original shaft is pretty much out of the question at this point. The pulley side of the body had no "thinner washer" as per the instructions. Also it differed from the reassembly instructions in that the butterfly screws were inserted from the engine side rather than the airbox side. So far, these are no big deal, but I mention them in case they point to me having the wrong kit?

Here are the bigger deals. The machined flats on the spindle to accept the pulley appears to be too long. It extends about 0.5 mm beyond the pulley, so there is no way the kit-supplied washer will secure the pulley, even if the screw apparently intended for this purpose was not a good 3 mm from tightening against the washer/pulley when it bottoms out in the threaded hole on the end of the spindle. Both the spindle flat and the retaining screw are way too long...

I figured I could file down the end of the spindle and cut off the screw with my Dremel as necessary, but first I wanted to trial fit the rest of the parts...

I found that I was unable to insert the butterfly fully into the spindle. Removal of the components and an examination revealed that though the butterfly can be fully inserted into the spindle, the screw holes are too close together to accommodate the holes in the butterfly (by about a half a hole). Since this did not account for my inability to fully insert the butterfly in the throttle body, I tried again. I found that the machining of the slot does not extend sufficiently toward the pulley side of the body (even with the spindle fully inserted from the cap side as allowed by the c-clip and washer) to accomodate the full width of the butterfly...

It appears I can remove material inside the spindle cutout for the butterfly with a hacksaw, but it will be very close as the whether or not this allows me to insert the two retaining screws. Comparing the new and old spindles to one another, the holes in the new spindle are between 1 mm and 2 mm closer together, so that under the best case scenario would the screws match the holes in the butterfly, and then just barely. There is no wiggle room side to side as a result...

Speaking of those screws, they are way too long to stake over as per the instructions. However, the kit contains little nuts sized to fit them. Is it the idea that the nuts are screwed on after full assembly as locking nuts?

Has anyone else had these issues? Reading the above, it sounds as this has all gone much smoother for others...

I took pictures that illustrate all the above, but I doubt I will be able to post them. Hopefully, my descriptions make sense...

Hey there, I thikn I'm having the same problem (pulley that's punched onto the shaft --> no "thinner washer". I'm ok withe the pulley but I'm wondering what to do without that "thinner washer"...

Dan?

Roads
? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Joker_-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #144
Dan Căta OP
Beastly Adventurer

The 1150 and some 1100 do not have that one, so you don't need it. My tutorial was made around a set of early 1100 bike, hence the confusion.

Thanks,
Dan.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #145
Dan Căta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Dan,

Have you ever considered machining other parts for the boxer such as a transmission input shaft with a longer spline to fill the clutch female spline?

Also, how about some glass cam tunnel covers for the 259 engine. The plastic ones are not very pretty.
Will consider it ;)

Dan.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #146
staikosn1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Got the package and the job is done!!
Thank you very much Dan....
staikosn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #147
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Oddometer: 70
Buy a screw extractor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Căta View Post
The 1150 and some 1100 do not have that one, so you don't need it. My tutorial was made around a set of early 1100 bike, hence the confusion.

Thanks,
Dan.
Thanks Dan. Other than the metal bushings, everything went fine. People, don't waste your time and buy a screw extractor. It works like a charm.

Roads
? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Joker_-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #148
Dan Căta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, a screw extractor is what I use every time. And those are ~ cheap around here...

Thanks,
Dan.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #149
mneblett
Professional Lurker

Oddometer: 150
Question

I started disassembling the right throttle body from my '04 RT in preparation for installing Dan's kit. I hit a snag when trying to remove the staked-in shaft from the pulley -- it does not want to let go. Tried both heat and freezing overnight (thinking the brass would contract more than the steel pulley).

Before I start drilling out the end of the shaft with tiny drill holes to relieve its grip on the pulley, anyone have a better idea for getting the shaft out?
mneblett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #150
Dan Căta OP
Beastly Adventurer

You don't have to drill anything out. Just punch the old shaft out of the pulley, using something < 5mm in diameter. The brass on the spindle is way softer then the pulley, so you won't damage anything ;)

Dan.