User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
mafpolo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Pissed BMW CAN-BUS Battery Tender.....Skip it

After shelling out what I consider a lot of cash for a battery tender, it lasted a little over three years. I have Deltran tenders that are working after ten years plus.

I called BMW, and I will say they were polite, but they told me that after the two year parts warranty is passed, you are s*&t out of luck. I am extremely disappointed. I have been a good OEM after market customer. I even bought a new BMW battery the other day (before the dealer told me that the tender was bad).

After paying mega bucks for clothes and pieces, you'd think they would at least do something....
I guess I'll just go the traditional tender wired straight to battery. I'm not paying the cash for unit that doesn't hold up. I must not be the exception, because I have looked on Ebay and seen some for sale as "no longer works. For parts only."

I may write the head of BMW Motorrad USA to let him know how I feel. Probably a waste of time. After being such a fan, and a Harley convert for over six years, this plain stinks.

Please let me know if I need to use a CAN BUS tender and should not use a regular one that is straight wired. The OEM looks cool, but I want one that lasts!

Thanks,
Old 11-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,324
It's hard to beat the Deltran Tenders. They seem to work very well and forever! I've had mine for many years and use it on several bikes with no issues.

As a side benefit, you now will have a directly wired connection to the battery for accessories like an air pump or heated clothing. Just make sure to add a fuse to the circuit. On my GS I added an outlet on the beak that goes directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse. I use the DIN plug adapter on the charger. I don't remember if it came with the DIN plug or if I built it but since I have DIN plugs on all my bikes for the compressor and GPS it work on all of them.

Gerg

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,355
Check out the Optimate 4 Dual Program. It has a mode specifically for charging a BMW over the CANBUS. And a mode for charging regular batteries.

If you go with a Battery Tender, you might want to go with the Battery Tender Junior. It has a lower maximum current than the regular BT. The regular BT, can, under certain conditions, supply too much charging current and F up a gel battery.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafpolo View Post
After shelling out what I consider a lot of cash for a battery tender, it lasted a little over three years. I have Deltran tenders that are working after ten years plus.

I called BMW, and I will say they were polite, but they told me that after the two year parts warranty is passed, you are s*&t out of luck. I am extremely disappointed. I have been a good OEM after market customer. I even bought a new BMW battery the other day (before the dealer told me that the tender was bad).

After paying mega bucks for clothes and pieces, you'd think they would at least do something....
I guess I'll just go the traditional tender wired straight to battery. I'm not paying the cash for unit that doesn't hold up. I must not be the exception, because I have looked on Ebay and seen some for sale as "no longer works. For parts only."

I may write the head of BMW Motorrad USA to let him know how I feel. Probably a waste of time. After being such a fan, and a Harley convert for over six years, this plain stinks.

Please let me know if I need to use a CAN BUS tender and should not use a regular one that is straight wired. The OEM looks cool, but I want one that lasts!

Thanks,

Writing BMW IS a waste of your time..
If you have a spare plug port on your bike go get the BMW socket and wire it directly to the battery. Easy, looks factory, and is just plain better than worrying about when the canbus shuts the power off to the (stock) sockets. Put the battery tender on it whenever you want. If you don't have a spare plug port you can still get the plug (check out "Powerlet") and mount it wherever you desire...in a panel, on a bracket...wherever..
Old 11-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 762
I have 1 dozen Deltrans working at the present. Some are over 10 years old. Works a treat.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
It's hard to beat the Deltran Tenders. They seem to work very well and forever! I've had mine for many years and use it on several bikes with no issues....

Gerg
+1 Hard to beat them, I have four of them and have never had a problem.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 568
I have a can-bus compatible charger and the whole can-bus compatibility thing is highly over rated. I charge directly to the battery and it works much better. The charger doesn't have to keep opening and reopening the can-bus each time it wants to test and/or charge the battery. The Optimate does a voltage retention test every 30 minutes and the test is much more accurate when the can-bus is not part of the equation.

Save your money, can-bus compatibility is an over priced non essential hassle in my opinion.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,355
Having CANBUS compatibility may be of no special value, however, from my reading, having a charger that is Gel battery compatible can be very worthwhile.

My understanding is this: A gel battery can be messed up by feeding it too high a voltage when recharging it. And its max safe voltage is lower than for a LA (lead acid) battery. Generally, any Battery Tender or other motorcycle-specific charger will work fine. But, if the battery is especially dead, then some chargers will supply more voltage than is good for a gel battery.

For example, a Battery Tender Junior has a max charging current of 0.75amps. That is okay for a gel battery.

A Battery Tender Plus will supply 1.25amps. If the battery is dead enough to cause the Tender to run at max output, it can damage a gel battery.

http://batterytender.com/products/motorcycle.html

With the Optimate 4 Dual Program, if you put it in "BMW mode", it will disable the Turbo (22V) desulfation mode and only use the Pulse mode.

http://www.tecmate-int.com/optimate4dual_detail.php

http://www.tecmate.com/u_optimate_4_dual.php

Personally, I've been a Battery Tender and then Battery Tender Plus user for many years. But, of the 4 I own, I think 3 of them have simply died. I just bought 2 of the Optimate 4 DPs and am using one on my GS and one on my Suzuki. I've only been using them for about a week so far, so I can't really say anything more about them other than that they seem to work just fine, and all the lights on them give me a lot more info about what's going on than the 2 LEDs on the BT Plus.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,331
My BMW Can-Bus tender still working fine after 7 1/2 years. I bought it new with bike April 05.
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Gel battery?

If you have a BMW branded GEL battery that's made by Exide make sure you get the Deltran Plus that's specifically programmed for GEL batteries. P/N: 021-0156. ~$45.00 shipped from the world wide interweb.
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
mafpolo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh It's the Tender Jr's I have had

That have lasted for so long. I'll just mail the CAN-BUS tender back to them, and tell them where they can re-stock it.
It's probably way over engineered.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
mafpolo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
It's hard to beat the Deltran Tenders. They seem to work very well and forever! I've had mine for many years and use it on several bikes with no issues.

As a side benefit, you now will have a directly wired connection to the battery for accessories like an air pump or heated clothing. Just make sure to add a fuse to the circuit. On my GS I added an outlet on the beak that goes directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse. I use the DIN plug adapter on the charger. I don't remember if it came with the DIN plug or if I built it but since I have DIN plugs on all my bikes for the compressor and GPS it work on all of them.

Gerg
I'm showing my ignorance, and lack of mechanical talent....what is a DIN plug?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
But how long are your batteries lasting?

Quote:
That have lasted for so long. I'll just mail the CAN-BUS tender back to them, and tell them where they can re-stock it.
It's probably way over engineered.
Anyone getting only 1-2 years out of a battery and wondering why? The local BMW guys don't have a clue and they sell the Deltran Tender Jr. w/o asking what type of battery. I recall reading that Deltran actually made the BMW charger. Hmmm. Read here: http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/BMW-charger.html
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #14
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,480
Quote:
I'm showing my ignorance, and lack of mechanical talent....what is a DIN plug?
I think he meant SAE plug, they come with chargers to attach to the battery.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,326
I thought the bmw tender was just a re-badged something or other...deltran ringing a bell.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote