Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
I was looking at this for a while, http://www.marathonwatch.com/product...TR-short-wave/, but that CCrane one looks pretty good too.

They used to have "CCrane" modified radios that eliminted "step" audio and silenced tuning during the days of "Art Bell", I don't know if they still do those modifications. Might check with them. Also go dig around in their "Specials" section for some deals.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
I use tune in radio on my iPhone. Obviously it only works where you get cell service.
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #18
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 410
This... Look no further $11.99 stereo jack, small... Great reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00408K36Y

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Oddometer: 205
This...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICF-S10MK...y+pocket+radio

Plus a cheap set of in-ear headphones is what I use. It is dirt cheap, amazingly good with batteries, and get super reception (much better than my fancy kloss). I like to tune NPR on FM and college games on AM (thanks to ESPN for RUINING sports broadcasting). I could not be happier with the performance, price etc.
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #20
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Most AM radio shows are podcasted these days. I listen to Petros and Money Show via podcast while riding all of the time. Wouldn't work for listening to games but there are enough podcasts out there to keep you listening forever. My favorites are: The Adam Carolla Show, PMS, The Film Vault, Radiolab, Freakinomics, Mysterious Universe, Doug Loves Movies, Dave Damashek Football Program, and This American Life. I have mostly stopped listening to the radio since I started podcasting but I used to primarily listen to AM sports talk radio.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #21
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
fracking kids with their stupid phone that suck up energy, waste rare minerals, create polluting waste just to make them up only to change it in 2 years because they are no cool enough, and polluting with dead toxic batteries that dont even last 2 years, only to run CPUs for at most 3h, to decode encoded digital sound sent by stealing phone companies and cell tower operators cooking our brains every few miles with yet another antenna...

all that while a good 50 years old low frequency am antenna covering 50 miles and a rechargeable AA batteries receiver can do the thing...
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #22
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
fracking kids with their stupid phone that suck up energy, waste rare minerals, create polluting waste just to make them up only to change it in 2 years because they are no cool enough, and polluting with dead toxic batteries that dont even last 2 years, only to run CPUs for at most 3h, to decode encoded digital sound sent by stealing phone companies and cell tower operators cooking our brains every few miles with yet another antenna...

all that while a good 50 years old low frequency am antenna covering 50 miles and a rechargeable AA batteries receiver can do the thing...
Did your wife run off with a cell phone salesman by any chance?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #23
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAHandy View Post
Most AM radio shows are podcasted these days. I listen to Petros and Money Show via podcast while riding all of the time. Wouldn't work for listening to games but there are enough podcasts out there to keep you listening forever. My favorites are: The Adam Carolla Show, PMS, The Film Vault, Radiolab, Freakinomics, Mysterious Universe, Doug Loves Movies, Dave Damashek Football Program, and This American Life. I have mostly stopped listening to the radio since I started podcasting but I used to primarily listen to AM sports talk radio.
+1 on This American Life. What a great production.
drm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #24
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Did your wife run off with a cell phone salesman by any chance?
LOL! Nah, it felt like an appropriate moment to slap em in the back of the head. I`m just tired of being ruled by overwhelming masses with their mediocrity taking control just by popularity instead of intelligence.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #25
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
I'm looking for one that gets good long distance reception at night. I like to listen to stations from different cities around the country. I have a Radio Shack DX-398 shortwave with AM, FM, .... but the AM reception at night is awful.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #26
MZ5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
I'm looking for one that gets good long distance reception at night. I like to listen to stations from different cities around the country. I have a Radio Shack DX-398 shortwave with AM, FM, .... but the AM reception at night is awful.
That's what I do, too. On the bike you can't do what I'm about to suggest unless you have _lots_ of free space to pack in. Can't do it on the move, either, but at home the best thing I've ever used to improve AM reception is the Select-A-Tenna. It looks to me like there are other, similar items available now, too. Perhaps one of them could work better on a bike?

Radiolabs.com _may_ have some useful products and recommendations for you, too.
MZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote