ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #18286
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Guy-
I have a question for you or anyone that might know the answer:

Nicole has a KLR250 no electric start. When she plugs in her heated gear it does not work long or at all...the first time she did it did fine but not since. Matter of fact her head light dims also. It just has regular wires going to the battery. Can I just run thicker wires or do I need a new higher amp/voltage alternated for that?

No comments from the peanut gallery on volunteering to keep her warm...I already threw it out there so it's used...

Thanks, Todd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #18287
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Guy-

Nicole has a KLR250 no electric start. When she plugs in her heated gear it does not work long or at all...the first time she did it did fine but not since. Matter of fact her head light dims also. It just has regular wires going to the battery. Can I just run thicker wires or do I need a new higher amp/voltage alternated for that?

No comments from the peanut gallery on volunteering to keep her warm...I already threw it out there so it's used...

Thanks, Todd

Todd,

I don't know the KLR very well, but it sounds like a wattage issue. I'm guessing the bike only makes enough juice to keep the electrics going and to keep the battery charged. Adding the additional draw from heated gear overpowers what juice is available. Not doing your battery much good.

The only way to bump that up, assuming this is the issue, is to get more juice from a larger stator. Not sure if a higher output one is available for the KLR, but I'm sure others will know. It's definitely not wiring. Larger ones won't help. You need more power from the source.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #18288
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:

Thanks, Todd

that 250, like most little thumpers - except wr250r, doesn't have much excess charging capacity and you have to be revving it up to get that. so just putting around she may never get a lot of heat out of her gear. On the road turning some rpm's she may feel it warm up some.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #18289
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
...so let's stick with what we do agree on.

That BMWs are better.

Sure is a lot of bavarian kool-aid being served up here lately. It's almost as if you guys need to keep reassuring each other.

(somebody had to pee in the pool! )
Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #18290
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

that 250, like most little thumpers - except wr250r, doesn't have much excess charging capacity and you have to be revving it up to get that. so just putting around she may never get a lot of heat out of her gear. On the road turning some rpm's she may feel it warm up some.
Yes I thought that was the case, cause the first time we were running around 50-65 on a regular basis. But after she road around town for a couple days it never came back. Even after the run to Urbana, but I put the battery on the charger and filled the battery up with distilled water in the cells needed. We have not tried it since.

I will research the higher output stator and weight the cost. Who am I kiddin'...if I want her to ride her bike before May '13...I will need to upgrade the stator.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #18291
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:

Sure is a lot of bavarian kool-aid being served up here lately. It's almost as if you guys need to keep reassuring each other.

(somebody had to pee in the pool! )
You know the issue I'm having with the KLR...we road 2-up all day Saturday 400+ miles on the GS with both heated suits running...not a problem!!!

Just saying...

Old 11-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #18292
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Sure is a lot of bavarian kool-aid being served up here lately. It's almost as if you guys need to keep reassuring each other. (somebody had to pee in the pool! )
I keed! I keed!

Just wanted to throw a good example out there of "Things One Shouldn't Try To Make Others Believe". Goes along with (1) Toilet paper sloppily spewed over the top or placed neatly underneath where god intended it to be, and (2) Cream goes in the cup before the coffee, so it's mixed better.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #18293
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666
Quote:
Guy-

Thanks, Todd

Remember where your posting....50 pages of KLR250 goodness for you to kill time with....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340288
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #18294
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,720
Quote:
I keed! I keed!

Just wanted to throw a good example out there of "Things One Shouldn't Try To Make Others Believe". Goes along with (1) Toilet paper sloppily spewed over the top or placed neatly underneath where god intended it to be, and (2) Cream goes in the cup before the coffee, so it's mixed better.

50/50 on that. Over the Top and cream before coffee

Back in va mike?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #18295
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Back in va mike?
Yup...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #18296
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Dun did my duty.

In line a little before 10:00; out of the building at 11:29.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #18297
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Guy-

Thanks, Todd

As others have mentioned, the charging system on that bike is minimal..... just enough to keep the battery charged up for the lights. The ignition is magneto driven and probably doesn't need the battery to run.... same as the earlier big KLRs.

I also doubt that any heavier alternator/stator is available for that bike.... but check with Electrex to see.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #18298
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:

Was that a dare to wire in my plug for my jacket? I doubt it will be an issue. My only problem is I am thinking about wiring in an Easter Beaver 3 circuit solution like on my DL650 and I have no idea where in the frame I can fit the actual fuse/relay box. Will need to google to see what others have done. I'm not a fan of just running all the leads to the battery. Last time I did that, I kept having connection issues with the battery.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #18299
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
... (2) Cream goes in the cup before the coffee, so it's mixed better.

cream in first is an un-american commie plot! Always coffee then cream as the founding fathers intended.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #18300
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 663
Voted. The wait in line was maybe two minutes. And here I was prepared with a good book to read for entertainment....

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote