Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #3841
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkandcorn View Post
i have a feeling we are going to cross paths somewhere down there.

ride safe and see you soon.
I will be in Ushuaia Dec 22-Jan 4th. Rented a house with a few other motorcycle riders!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #3842
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels View Post

I couldn't find one for :cocoleaves

Howdy Nicky!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 11-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #3843
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,573
bet you were glad to get off that road heading south from Uyuni and kissed the pavement as soon as you saw it
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #3844
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
bet you were glad to get off that road heading south from Uyuni and kissed the pavement as soon as you saw it
It was a rough Washboard for 100 Miles but was great to arrive and see the Salar!! Worth it!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #3845
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Sucre to Tupiza, Bolivia (just an hour from the Argentina Border

Someone asked about parking on Hostels and hotels. It has always been interesting!! The hostel in Potosi was interesting as we stayed at the Koala den and they had us park in the "annex" hostel. Took a little video as we were leaving the hostel. It is a smugmug video so I am not sure that this will work....

Anyway. I left Sucre, Bolivia and had to backtrack 90 miles to Potosi before riding south toward the Bolivian Border. Was a Sunday morning so traffic was light riding out of town.

But the sheep and Donkeys don't care

Back to Potosi at 4,300 Meters. Claiming the highest city in the world....

Interesting archway on the way into town.

I stopped for Gas in town, and the lady hesitated, but then filled my tank, and only charged me the local price!!

The road south is a nice paved road with hardly anyone else out. Was 70 degrees and beautiful day to ride!

The landscape changes to colored mountains and dramatic views.

I arrived to the town of Tupiza, Bolivia and stayed at the Hotel Mitru Nice palce with a parking area and a pool!

Was good to sit outside and catch some sunshine. Some other British, Polish, and Belgian tourists were doing the same.

Relaxed in the afternoon, and enjoyed the sunshine!

Radioman screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 08:17 AM
Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #3846
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Tupiza, Bolivia into Argentina!

Bolivia was an interesting place with lots of varied terrain and riding. The issues with Gas and threat of Strikes ended up being no problem for me. Some of the issues are just hard to understand. The other observation is that we had radical varying interactions with local people. They were either very very nice or not. It was the first place that has felt this way on my travels thus far. occasionally you had someone not real nice or interactive, but very rarely. In Bolivia we were flipped off twice, and many times people just said NO..... and sent you on your way. Not too welcoming. Seems to be a real part of half the people. But still had a great time in Bolivia and these were only my observations (but spoke with other travelers that had a very similar experience.

Just one more Gas stop in Tupiza before riding into Argentina. Normally I try to fill up as I enter a town so I am ready to go, but did not see a gas station before reaching the hotel. No problem, will get in in the am on the way out of town.

Well. As i ride out of town..... I see the two gas stations with huge lines Then I see another "grande Moto" at the station. I have not seen one on the entire time in Bolivia... So I roll up to say Hello! This is Alain (french but lives in Cali, Columbia).

He arrived yesterday but they had no gas in town at all. So he stayed the night. As I was saying hello the GAS truck pulls up and starts pumping into the station. Alain had his extra tanks out and they agreed to fill them. He offered me 5 Liters of his fuel.... Awesome!! We filled his tank and he actually had about 8 liters left for my tank! The kindness of other riders! Great. Skipped the big lines. Alain was headed north so we said our goodbyes!!

This is what the lines looked like (of course I skipped to the front! )

Great start to my day!! I headed south to the Border town of Villazon

Had to stop and pay a 3 Boliviano toll to ride south.

Ok paid, they lowered the rope "gate" so we could pass.

Just 100Km down the road is Villazon, the border town. Looking forward to entering Argentina.

I pull up to the border and the policia tell me to cross the bridge and then the immigration is on the right side.

As I wait, I ask the Policia and they say that the office for Bolivia Exit is first, then 10 steps and office of Argentina entrance is right there

Takes just 20 minutes and I have been stamped out of Bolivia and into Argentina. Aduana (customs) is in the buildings to the left. I walk over and hand in my Bolivia Aduana paperwork.... 2 minutes and I am done

Then walk down 20 steps to the Argentina Aduana. I go in the office.... and they wave me to a seat. I wait and the young guy has lots of paperwork on his desk. I sit for 15 minutes before he really looks at me..... fortunately I policia is watching my bike, although many people stop to have a look.

Finally I hand him my Registration and Title copy. He asks me if I have insurance. No. I need it, and it is not at the border, I have to go to town to get it. Leave the bike and take a taxi to the border town...... Ok...

I took a taxi into town and he took me to the 3 Insurance offices. None of them could do Moto Insurance Now what. My spanish is not very good..... So this could be tough. Juluy is 3-4 hours drive south if they make me go get it..... Yikes. Had the cab stop at ATM for cash.... Then back to the Border Aduana office. Fortunately, the young guy is gone, but a really nice older guy is there. He saw me before, takes my copies of the registration and title and does my Aduana paperwork (never asks for insurance information! ) I get my paperwork, one of the otehr guys walks out with me to the bike, checks the VIN and then looks very briefly at one of my bags .....(had heard they really search you gear.... talked later to a guy from UK in a car and they made him take everything out!)

Great all done in 1.5 hours including taxi to town!! On my way into Argentina!!

Hey look. Just 5121 KM to Ushuaia!!

The elevation is getting slightly lower as I ride south.

But the scenery is really cool. The "painted hills" are awesome as I ride south.

Just a few hours and I arrive in the town of Tilcara.

Found a hostel .

It is a funky little place run by Diego. Great guy! I had a cabana with bathroom private in the back to myself for $100 Argentina Pesos ($21.27 USD)

Liked the bike!

Many other travelers staying. We ended up having dinner together. 3 from Germany, 1 from Italy, 1 from Denmark, 1 from UK, 1 from Canada and me !! Had a great dinner and shared a few bottles of wine! Great night.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #3847
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,573
at the aduana i could see your helmet on your bike, i saw a kid grab a helmet from someones bars last year in front of the police and run off...the rider never got it back!!!!

you may want to keep that by your side, you'll need it on Ruta 40
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #3848
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Well. As i ride out of town..... I see the two gas stations with huge lines Then I see another "grande Moto" at the station. I have not seen one on the entire time in Bolivia... So I roll up to say Hello! This is Alain (french but lives in Cali, Columbia).

Ha! If I would've known that you were going to run into Alain, I would've let you know to thank him for one of those mapsets that you now have (not the OSM one). We met Alain in Cali, and rode with him in northern Ecuador for a couple of days. Really good guy. The small world of moto travelers...

And I'm especially glad he was able to help you out with the gas situation. Some of those lines are nuts!

Enjoy Argentina!
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #3849
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Someone asked about parking on Hostels and hotels. It has always been interesting!! The hostel in Potosi was interesting as we stayed at the Koala den and they had us park in the "annex" hostel. Took a little video as we were leaving the hostel. It is a smugmug video so I am not sure that this will work....

I had asked about it, thank you for the video! Very cool!

Just FYI - it took a little monkeying around on smugmug to get the video to work for me.

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #3850
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
Ha! If I would've known that you were going to run into Alain, I would've let you know to thank him for one of those mapsets that you now have (not the OSM one).

And I'm especially glad he was able to help you out with the gas situation. Some of those lines are nuts!

Enjoy Argentina!
Small world indeed. Hope all is well in Bolivia!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #3851
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Quote:
Many other travelers staying. We ended up having dinner together. 3 from Germany, 1 from Italy, 1 from Denmark, 1 from UK, 1 from Canada and me !! Had a great dinner and shared a few bottles of wine! Great night.

Cinco mujeres y los hombres sólo tres, muy bueno!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #3852
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMuck View Post
I had asked about it, thank you for the video! Very cool!

Just FYI - it took a little monkeying around on smugmug to get the video to work for me.
video no worky for me. :(

Ride on Radioman!
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #3853
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
video no worky for me. :(

Ride on Radioman!
I wasn't sure originally what it was that worked for me, but after trying again...it appears that clicking on "Save Movie" on the top menu is what does the trick. None of the Play buttons work, but that does...who would have guessed??

Old 11-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #3854
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMuck View Post
I wasn't sure originally what it was that worked for me, but after trying again...it appears that clicking on "Save Movie" on the top menu is what does the trick. None of the Play buttons work, but that does...who would have guessed??
Thx. I will try to get it on Youtube so that it is an embed!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #3855
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Washboard

I will be interested to hear your take on gravely washboard after you ride Ruta 40 or Ruta 8 in Chile. The winds south of 45 also present an interesting challenge. I see you were camping on the Salar. Have you carried camping gear this entire trip. I am trying to figure out what I need and what I can leave behind for my coming extended trip in Mexico, It has been great following your amazing journey.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote