Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #121
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,425
Impressive project, and impressive spirit you have, sir. Not much scares me, but the loss of the use of limbs is one thing that does. You've made it clear that one can still participate in the things one is passionate about.

Given that you fabricated your own LL front suspension, this is probably something you know already, and also, I'm writing without going back to refer to construction photos.... anyway, here goes nothing:

There are two factors which affect the anti-dive/pro-dive characteristics of the front end.

First, is how the brake force is fed into the chassis. If the brake caliper is attached to the live element (i.e. the swingarm of the LLF, i.e. unsprung portion) it will have a tendency to extend the suspension (i.e. make it feel stiffer with less dive). If the braking force can be fed directly to the sprung part of the chassis via a link, it will prevent the "binding" feeling when the brakes are applied. Clearly, this only has an effect when the brakes are applied.

Second is the relationship between the axle and pivot. If the axle is below the pivot, it will have anti-dive tendencies, making it feel stiffer. If the axle is above the pivot, it will have pro-dive tendencies, making it feel plusher at the cost of more-easily bottoming. Many LLF had multiple pivot locations to change the behavior. The more above or below the pivot, the more pronounced the behavior.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #122
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post

Second is the relationship between the axle and pivot. If the axle is below the pivot, it will have anti-dive tendencies, making it feel stiffer. If the axle is above the pivot, it will have pro-dive tendencies, making it feel plusher at the cost of more-easily bottoming. Many LLF had multiple pivot locations to change the behavior. The more above or below the pivot, the more pronounced the behavior.
Good post, thankyou.

I'd just like to add one thought regarding having the LL swingarm pivot above or below the axle height.
If the pivot is heigher than the axle, during suspension compression the tyre will have to move forward through it's arc until the axle reaches the same height as the pivot.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #123
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
I don't know suspension.

I do, however, know that that bitch ROCKS!!! I don't blame you one bit for tossing her sideways, TOTALLY UNDERSTAND! That looks like so much friggin' FUN!

I could have a blast down in the pine barrens with that, This is the route I've been considering for my 79 CB 750F/SS, you just sealed her fate. It needs to have the forks rebuilt anyway, so why not?

Spectacular build, sounds sweet as hell!

GOOD WORK, now go shoot more footage!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote