Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #31
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 677
The bucket test will expose faulty seams in a hurry.
A good garden hose will do a good job in lieu of a rainstorm.
I have several SCUBA dry suits with zippers. They don't leak at 100 feet down which is WAY more pressure than we see on our bikes. Zippers should not leak.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #32
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
I have several SCUBA dry suits with zippers. They don't leak at 100 feet down which is WAY more pressure than we see on our bikes. Zippers should not leak.
Not sure whether increasing but fairly even surrounding water pressure at depth equates to the pressure of driving wind and rain going 70 mph down the road, but it's a nice graphic comparison and I agree, zippers should not leak. That's what the double protection of the zipper covers should take care of on riding gear, unless they're not placed well or designed properly. As for arm tensioners, same applies, but common sense for the rider should also prevail not to keep them too taught. Hoping to order the Badlands jacket this week, so I guess I'll see whether they stand up to their reputation.
V-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #33
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
The water resistant zippers used in moto gear is not as robust as the dry suit zipper. It is basically a reversed coil zipper with a coating on the zipper tape, and it is very easy to split the "seal" with any sort of tension across the zipper. Once you play with it, you will know exactly what I am talking about.

Something like this is enough to allow water to seep through.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #34
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 677
Good points and I understand. Just sayin that the zipper tech is avail. Most won't want to pay for it.

This kind of stuff is want makes me look for the very best avail. as I'm a bit tired of stuff not living up to it's billing.
It's either waterproof, or it is'nt.

Always a good discussion here at ADV. You guys are cool. Plenty of my thinking comes from 10 years in professional SCUBA. There is NO place in that world for "almost works". Dragging morons to the surface from 100 feet down with failing "stuff" will ram home that point in a hurry.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote