Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #61
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
Very nice truck sir! That WILL be my next truck.
Thanks! But...uhh...please don't steal mine. I'm sure there's a dealer who would love to sell you one just like it.

'14 KLR650 New Edition
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #62
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
All signs pointed to a Tacoma. I looked and looked, used prices in my area are ridiculous, dealers wont budge off MSRP on new ones. I was told at 3 dealers, if you wont pay MSRP the next guy will. They literally cant keep them on the lot. The tacomas are nice trucks but they are grossly under sprung in the rear, 2 leaves plus an overload. 12-13 went to a 4 leaf pack.

I looked at used tacomas with the package I wanted and it was around $28k-ish for a 35-40k mile one. I ended up buying the newer generation with 0 miles, extended warranty, and my choice of color for hundreds of dollars more

I was told by the dealers the same thing and wasn't going to buy one and then a coworker who had run into the same issue with 4runners told me about the costco buying thing and I did that. It made a huge difference. If I had bought a stripped down version it would have made less of a difference since there is so much mark-up in the packages/options. I ended up getting an off-road 4wd crew-cab model with I think literally every single extra option other than leather. It had all the stupid toyota extras like door sill guards and other stuff like that. Savings was $5k-ish over what the exact dealer had negotiated down to and they delivered it from 400 miles away. It was also better priced than the nissan by a couple grand and about even with the dakota that would be. Residual value was amazing after the initial savings. From 6 months of ownership point I could have sold it at a profit even with nothing down and a long loan term. 160k more miles and I can get a new one when the time comes.....it's a part-time driver so it may be a very long time away

mine was made in california so manufacturing was a non-issue

the rear springs are lacking once I put a cap on. Rides nice and smooth but sags with a load more than I wanted but with a add-a-leaf as part of a lift its good to go without beating the driver to death

gas mpg or not I don't enjoy driving around a full-size truck day to day. Spent some time dirving around my buddies full size crew-cab and was over it.
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #63
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
i shopped for an 03-04 tacoma for months. Since the frame recall the damn things are made of gold. a 03-04 ext cab or double cab v6 4x4 with 170k miles on it are still bringing 16-18k around here. I never did find one with less than 120k on it. I just couldnt bring myself to buy a 9 year old truck with that many miles on it for that much money. They are very good trucks and 120k is relatively low on a 3.4 taco. My dad drives an 02 taco ext cab v6 auto with 280k miles on it(company truck). He averages about 21mpg with it.

I really wanted an 04 double cab, but they are the holy grail around here, most are around 20k if they are in great shape.
I saw plenty of first gen Tacos for sale at reasonable prices when we rode down the west coast this past spring. No rust over there and no shortage at all. In many places my wife and I agreed that there were more of them than any other truck- old or new.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #64
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I saw plenty of first gen Tacos for sale at reasonable prices when we rode down the west coast this past spring. No rust over there and no shortage at all. In many places my wife and I agreed that there were more of them than any other truck- old or new.
Trouble with that logic is if you bring that clean truck back to the rust belt, it will rust out just like all the ones that are from around there. Just it will be older and toyota won't be putting new frames in them as they are too old.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #65
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
Lots of toyota loyalists here, but imho it's tough to beat the frontier sv.

v6, extended cab, quality build, good mileage,i prefer the driving position, buy new for used, or new regular cab tacoma price (around here).

like toyotas, have owned toyotas, have a great independent toy mechanic, just didn't see the value. small differences in truck interior plastic trim isn't a compelling reason for me to spend thousands more...

it's not 'settling' just because the nissan is cheaper, it's a genuinely nice little truck.
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #66
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Thanks! But...uhh...please don't steal mine. I'm sure there's a dealer who would love to sell you one just like it.
Don't think I would do too well in the Big House after getting caught for commiting a GTA..Your truck is safe from me at least..lol

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #67
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Trouble with that logic is if you bring that clean truck back to the rust belt, it will rust out just like all the ones that are from around there. Just it will be older and toyota won't be putting new frames in them as they are too old.
I understand what you're saying BUT the clock on the rust will start once the rust free truck arrives here. It generally took 15 years for them to rot. I'd be happy to get 10 years out of a 2000 Taco. It would be almost 25 years old by the time it started to disintegrate.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #68
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
I understand what you're saying BUT the clock on the rust will start once the rust free truck arrives here. It generally took 15 years for them to rot. I'd be happy to get 10 years out of a 2000 Taco. It would be almost 25 years old by the time it started to disintegrate.
It'd also make a bit of a difference if how it's maintained, right? Not that I've ever seen a garage queen taco before.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #69
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
$14k 1995 dollars == $21.3k 2012 dollars. MSRP for a brand new wrangler is just over $22k, so it sounds pretty comparable.

there isnt a single jeep out of 15-18 on the local dealer lot with an msrp under $30k.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #70
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,060
I heard rumours of a Canyon/Colorado diesel offering soon.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #71
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
I heard rumours of a Canyon/Colorado diesel offering soon.
post a link or it didn't happen. completelyh in. favor of any\all deisels coming
Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #72
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,060
Well it didn't happen. Yet. And I have no link my work partner told me. Take it for what it's worth which is why I added the word "rumor" btw

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #73
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,373
Quote:
Plus if you already know it's prone to rusting you can treat it ahead of time to prevent the rust. Fog the inside of it with corrosion inhibitor and then coat the exterior in Por 15.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #74
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
post a link or it didn't happen. completelyh in. favor of any\all deisels coming
At this point, it's still rumors. The new Colorado is offered outside the US with nothing but Diesels. So GM has the engines, transmissions, etc. US emissions would be a different package than what's offered overseas, but that's do-able from a technical perspective.

It comes down to money though...does it make sense for GM to spend the money to put a Diesel in the Colorado, especially when putting a Diesel in it would bump the price up uncomfortably close to their Silverados? Nobody outside GM knows for sure yet, or at least there's been no confirmation to the media.

'14 KLR650 New Edition
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #75
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
At this point, it's still rumors. The new Colorado is offered outside the US with nothing but Diesels. So GM has the engines, transmissions, etc. US emissions would be a different package than what's offered overseas, but that's do-able from a technical perspective.

It comes down to money though...does it make sense for GM to spend the money to put a Diesel in the Colorado, especially when putting a Diesel in it would bump the price up uncomfortably close to their Silverados? Nobody outside GM knows for sure yet, or at least there's been no confirmation to the media.
I am pretty sure that the new Colorado sold in Mexico only comes with a gas engine.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: