Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #226
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,364
Killer RR so far, and the best is certainly yet to come.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #227
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,640
I have got more milage out of Conti Trail Attack tires - than the Anakee I tried. About to put my 3rd Conti on. That is an option if any are available.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #228
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,903
make sure you get a tire, any tire as 17's are difficult to find, i use them and in Tabasco (one of the larger cities in Mexico) there were only two one for 1800 and the other was 3100 pesos. I've had great luck with Kenda K270 getting over 10,000 miles on every one if thats available. Here in Antigua i found three!!!
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #229
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
Killer RR so far, and the best is certainly yet to come.

Thanks for saying so and thanks for reading

Leaving Port Aransas early to try and get the tires I need in Corpus.

Wish me luck
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #230
Kedgi OP
Banned

Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
I have got more milage out of Conti Trail Attack tires - than the Anakee I tried. About to put my 3rd Conti on. That is an option if any are available.

That's an option. I love my Anakees and I trust them, which is very important. I did a 55 mph "get off" thanks to a front tire blowout in July on a well worn Mefo tire. (I wrote about it on ADVRider I think you can find it by Googling ADVrider front tire blowout) Decidedly not fun, and now that I have done it, I want to avoid doing it again. . I only have to be in Panama in early December so I can wait and I can definitely think of worse places to wait than Port Aransas. This is a great little town. assuming of course, you like blue sky, warm weather, friendly people and cheap beer.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #231
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
make sure you get a tire, any tire as 17's are difficult to find, i use them and in Tabasco (one of the larger cities in Mexico) there were only two one for 1800 and the other was 3100 pesos. I've had great luck with Kenda K270 getting over 10,000 miles on every one if thats available. Here in Antigua i found three!!!

I read about your tire troubles, thanks for taking the time to post that info. It is why I had planned to pick up new rubber here in Texas. It never dawned on me I might have trouble finding a set of Anakees here in this great state. I mentioned my tire woes to a guy at the Salty Dog last night and he said "Somebody in Houston has those tires" He has to be right. I'll find a set.

No worries. I will find a set somewhere this week and get underway again. In the meantime I'm enjoying my stay in Port Aransas immensely.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #232
Kedgi OP
Banned

No Tires in Corpus

I tried the Kawasaki shop and they cannot get Michelin Anakees. Their supplier does not have them. I tried the Honda Shop and they can get them but it takes two weeks.

I went back to Kawasaki because they said they could get me a set of Metzler Tourances in two days. Ordered

Now I'm back in Port Aransas, chillin' til my tires come in.

My GPS took me on a magical mystery tour to the Kawasaki Shop. Past the shop, which I didn't see as it was on the other side of a big expressway, across town from West to East then it made me make a u-turn, go 15 miles north through an industrial park called the Fulton Free Trade area, then it told me to cross the I-37 and head 15 miles south again It must have been trying to avoid the Interstate which I have it set to do. It ended up I had the complete ride around Corpus, North, South, East and West what should have been a 45 minute ride was more like two hours. I don't remember Corpus being so busy but man they drive fast and crazy there. I am very happy to be back in Port A with tires ordered.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #233
dbmet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Glad you got your tires ordered. I forgot the part about the drivers over there. They drive fast and bad!! You should see it when it rains. It's really bad. Enjoy Port Aransas!!
dbmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #234
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 584
Just found this... great report and sounds like a good ride. My mothers family is from South Branch, outside of Rexton so we drive through Shediac frequently to visit relatives in Moncton and the summer spot on old indian island road. Take care and maybe I'll pass your way when I next in NA.
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #235
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
I also just came across your ride report today. I'm all caught up and enjoying your updates. Count me in!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #236
Kedgi OP
Banned

Share the Road with Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmet View Post
Glad you got your tires ordered. I forgot the part about the drivers over there. They drive fast and bad!! You should see it when it rains. It's really bad. Enjoy Port Aransas!!

Most places I've been you'll see signs on the road, "share the road with bicycles" Here they have signs reminding drivers to "share the road with motorcycles"
Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #237
Kedgi OP
Banned

Glad you're reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Spinner View Post
Just found this... great report and sounds like a good ride. My mothers family is from South Branch, outside of Rexton so we drive through Shediac frequently to visit relatives in Moncton and the summer spot on old indian island road. Take care and maybe I'll pass your way when I next in NA.

Glad to have you following along. Shoot me a PM if you're coming to the Shediac area.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #238
Kedgi OP
Banned

Corpus and the Beach in Port Aransas

I only took two pictures yesterday on my ride to Corpus to get tires.

This is when I northbound on the Fulton Free Trade Zone road leaving the city behind me and beginning to wonder where the GPS was taking me.

Then while I was at the Kawasaki shop it occurred to me to snap a shot of this cool rig they were servicing

On my way back to Port Aransas or Port A as it's called here. I took a swing out to the beach. This is Mustang Island Texas, Port A's Beach

Here is one of Port A's marinas

I have had a great time in Port A. The first day I was here I met Sandy

and her husband, Tim from Minnesota, who Winter here.

They are great and have "adopted me" We're going to play some shuffleboard tonight

Tim

Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #239
Kedgi OP
Banned

Tires

It occurred to me to take pictures of my Anakees so you can see how well they wear. I have at least 7000kms mostly with a heavy load, on these, and would ride them a lot longer if I wasn't going somewhere I can't buy tires.

I figure when they start to "go away" they will go away fast and that's why I need new rubber.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #240
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I figure when they start to "go away" they will go away fast and that's why I need new rubber.
Amen brother! I learned that years back in Maine where it cost me 330 bucks to replace tires that would of cost me 200 at home on my , then new , '02 R1150GS. You bet I change them now just in case.
I also wonder about the availability of 18" rears would be betta than 17's ? May be a good reason to lace in an 18" rim to the rear on a KLR if your gonna be traveling lots on it.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote