User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #826
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
So there's a reason why they call Savannah Savannah:

It's the kind of landscape you'd expect to see elephants, lions and wildebeests roaming in.

But once you get to the city itself, things change. There are a lot of identifying characteristics--essential, defining characteristics--that cities have. But I can only think of one city other than Savannah in which a tree plays an integral role: LA. Palm trees are to Los Angeles as Oak Trees are to Savannah. It wouldn't be that far of a stretch to consider the trees in both cities as representative of the personalities of the population. In LA each palm tree stands alone....individual, powerful, but in the end, not unique at all. In Savannah, the oaks intermingle with each other. It's as if there's a network of branches forming a connective canopy. You can see that network--a true social network where even strangers are treated like good friends--whenever people are around. And there's also a laziness to the trees that seem to evoke feelings of relaxation and contentment.

(Me playing with tilt-shifting:)
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #827
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
Ah, Sno-Seal; popular with the hiking crowd.

Simply the best, Use it all the time on my work, riding, hiking boots. Just plain works!

HINT: After you rub it on all over the boot hold the boot over the kitchen stove flame for a few seconds
and it melts and soaks right in. No don't try to charbroil the boot just heat it up, and gas works best.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #828
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Tilt-shifting?
what kind of camera and how do you do it?
Great pics!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #829
CaliforniaKid
n00b

Oddometer: 5
That first photo is striking. Very nice.
CaliforniaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #830
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
Tilt-shifting?
what kind of camera and how do you do it?
Great pics!
I can't do true tilt-shifting with my camera....and my experiment above was more of just a blurring of the background than real tilt-shifting (where the lens isn't parallel to the 'film'). It can be done with great effect in photoshop, but certain compositions lend themselves to tilt-shifting better than others (shot from a distance overhead, with lots of objects).

THIS is true tilt-shifting:

When applied to a van Gogh the effects can be truly mezmerizing:

Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #831
wayne13
Lets Ride!!

Oddometer: 13
AHero, Are you going to head on down to Key West? The road down A1A is something that I think you would really appreciate. Plus the drive down the Keys is something that is unique and you really cant go back west without seeing the southern most point of the US. Plus To see what Charles Flagler accomplished when he built the road down to key west is amazing.
wayne13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #832
musicman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne13 View Post
AHero, Are you going to head on down to Key West? The road down A1A is something that I think you would really appreciate. Plus the drive down the Keys is something that is unique and you really cant go back west without seeing the southern most point of the US. Plus To see what Charles Flagler accomplished when he built the road down to key west is amazing.
...but do some research to find out which days the traffic is lightest. It can be a frustrating, while scenic highway.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #833
wayne13
Lets Ride!!

^^ He is right. Sorry forgot about some of the constrcution on there. Avoid rush hour times.

At least get from Miami to Key West Section of A1A in. It is amazing section of road even if it basically straight.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #834
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

No Key West for me, guys. Though the tropical scenery sounds tremendous, I'm heading to Macon, GA tomorrow, then onto Birmingham to Barber Fri night/Sat. morning, then down to Mobile, where I'm meeting up to ride with my dad to New Orleans. Traveling at night on Thurs. and Friday--not much chance for me to enjoy much along the way. Definitely looking forward to Debris Beef and Sazeracs at K-Pauls, though!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #835
wayne13
Lets Ride!!

When you get into the Macon area and start towards B'ham, I need to take you on some of the back roads through there. i grew up there and know a bunch of ways to get there. And they are not really out of the way, just nice back roads that Duc was made for.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #836
s1000rr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Anti

Have you heard any word from the Doctor in New York. I was wondering how your Long Island (digs) boat had faired as well has his properties.
s1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #837
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
When you get into the Macon area and start towards B'ham, I need to take you on some of the back roads through there. i grew up there and know a bunch of ways to get there. And they are not really out of the way, just nice back roads that Duc was made for.
AL 25 (Dunnavant Road) comes to mind, just east of Barber Motorsports Park.
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #838
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hoping I'll be doing some of the miles during daylight. Right now it's looking like Savannah to Macon and Macon to Birmingham rides will begin around dusk.

The Doc is ok. The boat mostly made it through ok--if you remember those pics he said the water level was at the top of those wooden poles. (!). He just got power back and hot water back on this morning. Very rough times indeed. He and I had a lot of interesting discussions over text about survival-type situations. Amazing how quickly our lives can be completely and totally disrupted with no power.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #839
s1000rr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
doc

Anti.

Great to hear that about the Doc. I know that they are having a very tough time of it. You are quite correct we forget about how fragile our living environment is until parts of it get cut off. I'm glad that you got to experience Long Island prior to the mess. I'm sure that locals are all worried about just getting past the tough times.
s1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #840
hilld
riding isn't an addiction

Oddometer: 268
Simply awesome. Living vicariously through you.

So far have you found a place you might want to go back to and settle?