ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #9841
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,717

Sheesh, idiot cagers are everywhere. "The Laudos said they never saw the plane, even though it was feet away, preparing to land at 65 mph."

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">
Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #9842
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Then there's this

Judge orders Cleveland woman to wear an ‘idiot’ sign after she was caught driving on a sidewalk to avoid a school bus

Shena Hardin, 32, of Cleveland was ordered by a judge to wear a sign reading ‘Only an idiot drives on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus’ after twice being caught doing just that.

http://youtu.be/1UTM40K53K8

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2BT0n7YLn

wzd1a screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 10:21 AM
wzd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #9843
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,124
Storm Mtn conditions

I rode Storm Mtn yesterday. Some snow in shady areas, but with a couple more days of warm weather, that should be gone. Based on what I saw, Donner Pass might be possible by Thursday.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #9844
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post

Sheesh, idiot cagers are everywhere. "The Laudos said they never saw the plane, even though it was feet away, preparing to land at 65 mph."

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

the plane had the right-of-way, though I find it hard to understand that the pilot did not see the Jeep.

probably either a n00b pilot or someone not familiar with the airport.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #9845
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I rode Storm Mtn yesterday. Some snow in shady areas, but with a couple more days of warm weather, that should be gone. Based on what I saw, Donner Pass might be possible by Thursday.
Donner was doable today !
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #9846
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,782

Brand new tire with less than 200 miles on it.

Big thanks to Mountain and his dad for helping me plug it from the inside, use of the DAG, and for the laughs... It is holding up fine and I feel confident that it will last for the life of the tire. This was my first time plugging a tubeless tire, so I was a bit skeptical at first but after seeing the plug, and seeing how it works, I feel good about it.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #9847
Hondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post

Brand new tire with less than 200 miles on it.

Big thanks to Mountain and his dad for helping me plug it from the inside, use of the DAG, and for the laughs... It is holding up fine and I feel confident that it will last for the life of the tire. This was my first time plugging a tubeless tire, so I was a bit skeptical at first but after seeing the plug, and seeing how it works, I feel good about it.
What kind of bike?

Cars are one thing, but I wouldn't trust a plug on a MC tire for very long. Flat or disintegrating tires at speed are something I don't want to see.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #9848
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,576
"Cars are one thing, but I wouldn't trust a plug on a MC tire for very long. Flat or disintegrating tires at speed are something I don't want to see. "

It's OK if it's a Hardley Ableson; they don't ever exceed 40MPH.....

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #9849
Hondo

Old 11-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #9850
Olas
the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
What kind of bike?

Cars are one thing, but I wouldn't trust a plug on a MC tire for very long. Flat or disintegrating tires at speed are something I don't want to see.
FZ6. I check tire pressures daily on my street rides, I'll do the same for this. And I also carry a worm type plug kit, just in case.

If my tire disintegrates at speed then that's a whole different problem!

So you're saying that you never ride "at speed", because you could get a flat on your bike any day, just like I did, patched tire or not. Nothing you can do about it when it happens but deal with it in whichever manner you prefer. If this plug fails, it will be a slow leak that I will notice. My tire is not going to disintegrate, and it's not going to explode.

I'm not about to throw away a $150 just like that...
Old 11-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #9851
Hondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post

So you're saying that you never ride "at speed", because you could get a flat on your bike any day, just like I did, patched tire or not. Nothing you can do about it when it happens but deal with it in whichever manner you prefer. If this plug fails, it will be a slow leak that I will notice. My tire is not going to disintegrate, and it's not going to explode.

I'm not about to throw away a $150 just like that...
That tire (when heated up) may come apart on you. Then again it might not.

IMO, my life (and my skin, gear, bike, ect) is worth more than the price of a tire.

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #9852
Olas
the darkness

Quote:
That tire (when heated up) may come apart on you. Then again it might not.

IMO, my life (and my skin, gear, bike, ect) is worth more than the price of a tire.

Good luck!
I hear you. It's a risk I am willing to take, I guess. Just like you're willing to risk picking up a nail while riding (and not knowing so), or getting hit by a car. You just never know when that will happen, all you can do is be prepared to handle the situation.

I am confident the tire is not going to come apart. I am not going to throw away $150 just like that. If I get three or more holes in it, then yes, I will consider getting a new tire.

Good luck to you as well!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #9853
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,390
Quote:
back in the '90's shops used to plug tires - with mushroom plugs and the tire off the wheel. I had more than my share of nails in <500 mile old tires - and I ran those plugged tires until they wore out. NEVER a problem, and that was in Las Vegas heat. Those kinds of plugs don't fail.

I've also plugged tires from the outside with gooey felt strips - and those I keep an eye on, but have also never had a failure and after keeping an eye on them for a few weeks, I trust them and ride until the tire is done.

All plugs depend on the size of the hole you're dealing with - if I run over a bolt and need a plug - new tire time.
For nails and screws and holes a few mm in diameter - I don't worry about damage to the tire carcass or having the plug fail (fall out).
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #9854
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,717
I had a flat up in Walden in my truck and the shop patched the tire (from the inside), they didn't plug it. I was surprised by that. When I asked they explained that plugs don't repair the full extent of the nail damage and they showed me the inside of an example. From the outside, it looked like just a nail hole. From the inside, the nail had gouged a deep skid mark and ripped up the belt.

At least for automobiles, patches beat plugs. I assume this applies to motorcycle too but I wonder if you'd feel an imbalance.

Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #9855
Olas
the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
I had a flat up in Walden in my truck and the shop patched the tire (from the inside), they didn't plug it. I was surprised by that. When I asked they explained that plugs don't repair the full extent of the nail damage and they showed me the inside of an example. From the outside, it looked like just a nail hole. From the inside, the nail had gouged a deep skid mark and ripped up the belt.

At least for automobiles, patches beat plugs. I assume this applies to motorcycle too but I wonder if you'd feel an imbalance.

Thoughts?
The type of plug I used looked sort of like this:

So it's kind of like a patch and a plug you pull through from the inside. The patch seals the inside of the tire and the plug seals the hole so no debris gets in through there.

The weight of these plugs, in my opinion, is negligible.