Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #826
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
A remote reservoir shock with the Honda is probably very doable.
I was looking at this last night .... not a whole lot of room in there for the hose.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #827
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by B DIRT View Post
I have a set of 450R forks from I think an 03-04 but the axles are different sizes so you then run into the speedo drive, and front wheel not working although thats easy remedy.

Speedo isn't driven from the front on the CRF250L. I've done a couple front end swaps on streetbikes, I've got a 1980 GSX1100ET with '89 GSXR1100 front end and '02 Bandit 1200 swing arm and wheel, it's really not that difficult. AllBallz Racing has a nifty program that allows you to type in your bike and it'll spit out all the front ends that can be swapped on, with the appropriate bearings needed to make up any differences in stem diameters, provided the stem lengths and fork leg lengths are compatible.

As far as axle diameters, the whole assembly would most likely have to be used, stem, clamps, fork legs, axle, wheel etc. which would be an improvement over stock anyway.

AN upgraded front end and at the least a stiffer rear spring would go along way to improving this already great bike.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #828
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,621
Quote:
I have a set of 450R forks from I think an 03-04 but the axles are different sizes so you then run into the speedo drive, and front wheel not working although thats easy remedy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
B Dirt, could you measure the two forks you have there in your possession? Give us a measurement from the very top of both forks at the cap threads all the way down to the center of the axles. This would tell us how much the front end/head angle might be affected in regards to handling...
Can you confirm the 450R forks have the same tube diameters at the triple clamps as the CRF250L forks?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #829
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
wargasm your right about the speedo drive I forgot about that not being there, again I think most would agree and usually when anyone does a front end swap the complete front end is used. And if your going with CRFR forks your pounding that bike really hard and the larger stronger front axle should be the perferred way to go. I will measure the forks tonight guys and see exactly what they are, not a problem
Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #830
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
And I would also like to say that I think this bike fuckin rails offroad with stock suspension. Ive been riding offroad about as long as Ive been walking and it works extremely good stock, again everyone is different and wants different things from their bikes. Im about 155lbs too
In reality I would probably never change anything but fluid in the forks even if this was the only bike I had, just my 2 cents
Old 11-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #831
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,954
Here are some measurements of the CRF250L and CRF250X forks. I used an inch tape for some measurements, but converted everything to mm. I'm trying to track down the bearing sizes.

The fork tube OD measurements are of the clamping surfaces, just below each bridge.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #832
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Here are some measurements of the CRF250L and CRF250X forks. I used an inch tape for some measurements, but converted everything to mm. I'm trying to track down the bearing sizes.

The fork tube OD measurements are of the clamping surfaces, just below each bridge.
LOL!...I'm not at all surprised that you're digging into this. Hey...not arguing with your measurements by any means, but do those triple clamp measurements on the 250X forks seem small compared to the 250L? How big are the lower fork stanchions on the X fork you measured? I'm guessing 47mm is the norm on the 250X stanchions and 43mm for the 250L model. I guess the uppers are beefy enough that they don't have to that much bigger in overall diameter to handle the 47mm stanchions. That's going to make it more convenient that the upper and lower steering stem bearings are identical, isn't it. You know...I'm a little impressed that the overall fork lengths are within 14mm of each other considering the difference in travel of about 3.7". That 14mm could easily disappear in sag, so I wouldn't expect a "tall" or weird head angle issue at static or normal riding position. However, I'm wondering about dive and skidplate clearance at full travel and just near full travel. Interesting stuff.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #833
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172

Those measurements are all pretty damn close. I'm assuming head pipe means steering stem, in which case it seems close enough to press the X stem into the L lower clamp, heck even a 10mm difference isn't that bad, I'll try to get my hands on a lower clamp and stem from an X to see if it will work. Someone else should give it a go too, I think the guy I know only runs 450s.

THe suspension seems good to me, this is my first "dirtbike" so I've got nothing to compare it too. I just want stiffer dampening because of my portly stature.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #834
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Very good info here. I'm glad people are taking this bike seriously right off the bat. At 260lbs with gear the suspension is a little lacking for me. The rear seems to be the worst for me and feels likes it skips and bottoms when you pick up speed. Almost like I'm just dragging a 2x4 behind me. The front feels way better but still I know that the setup is lacking. I would really like to hare scramble this bike and part of that would include getting some better suspension under the bike. Do you guys think a spring and gold valve swap on the front would be good enough or would I notice a better gain with some 250x forks also re sprung? For the rear I'm probably going to go with the racetech shock replacement. Thanks, RAMZ for the great info.

Jake

Oh, and when doing the valve service check you can set the gas tank were the seat was without disconnecting the fuel line.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #835
Lars1974
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
hi all,

If anyone wants to watch a few CRF250L's and me on my trusty XR400 in action just view the vid i cut below...

Enjoy
Lars
Lars1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #836
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
And I would also like to say that I think this bike fuckin rails offroad with stock suspension. Ive been riding offroad about as long as Ive been walking and it works extremely good stock, again everyone is different and wants different things from their bikes.
Couldn't agree more !!

Dave
Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #837
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars1974 View Post
hi all,

If anyone wants to watch a few CRF250L's and me on my trusty XR400 in action just view the vid i cut below...

Enjoy
Lars
Hey where is the link to your vids it didn't show up
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #838
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I'm thinking about buying a FMF slip on exhaust, What is the difference between the Q4 Hex S/A and the Power core 4 Hex? Is it just that the power core hex doesn't have the quiet insert? If so can i buy the Q4 Hex S/A and take out the insert and essentially its the power core? Here is the link http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/Bi..._HONDA_CRF250L
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 AM   #839
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1 View Post
Couldn't agree more !!

Dave
Has anyone run it on easy to intermediate rocky single track/double track yet?

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #840
Crafty_D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I have to say , for me personally it is a bit all over the place in sand at moderate speeds but I think its the rubber they fitted. Also it is a bit Vibey but its my first 4 stroke so i would guess its normal. I think if you fit some decent dunlops it would perform better in the dirt but then sacrifice on the tar. Its a hard choice and understandably finding a balance between the two will be a challenge. I love the bike its really awesome but I have a long way to go to get it just the way I want it. Still riding it in @ 340km odo on the clock. I have to admit it is allot smoother than it was pre-300km odo. Did you guys priest-drive it for 500km as per the manual? Then hammer it? Or did you priest it for a little longer? I would like to know when it will be completely safe to punish it a little on the throttle.
Crafty_D is offline   Reply With Quote