Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #136
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
Try it the other way and see how you like it - oven, then pan sear. It's cook's illustrated's preferred way to prevent over cooking on the outside of the steak...

http://www.brooks-bilson.com/blogs/f...-Perfect-Steak

Interesting thought. I was always under the impression that the reason for searing at the beginning is to keep the juices in during subsequent cooking, making for a much juicier end product.

I will have to see how this works out...

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #137
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buca View Post
Interesting thought. I was always under the impression that the reason for searing at the beginning is to keep the juices in during subsequent cooking, making for a much juicier end product.

it's pretty much guranteed to work out. if you're not familiar with cook's illustrated, what they do is take a bunch of different techniques and try them to get the best results, so for this method, they did compare to the 'traditional' way. besides, you're only heating the interior to 95 or so, so it's not going to get all dried out.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #138
billyvray
Procrastinator

Oddometer: 115
Turns out the searing doesn't do that much for containing the juiciness - the biggest reason is the improved flavor.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #139
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buca View Post

He's already been mentioned in this thread, but Alton Brown tested that theory. He found that meat seared then roasted actually lost more moisture, not less, due to the cell damage caused by the searing process.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #140
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPockets View Post

Anybody into bread? Simple recipe from the NYT. I have made it several times on a chilly Sunday. Best eaten warm that day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...mrex.html?_r=0
Aside from making a mess with the flour-laden towels, this recipe made a bread that was pretty good. Not a lot of depth to the taste, but a fine bread nonetheless.

I made another dough while that one was cooking in the oven, and used Adobo seasoning (which has a lot of salt) instead of salt. We'll see if it rises, and how well it does, tomorrow.

Thank you.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 10:53 AM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #141
DustyPockets
Flatland wanderer.

Oddometer: 57
I think the key is plenty of flour on the towels. Not being very good at flour management myself I have tossed out a couple of towels along the way.
DustyPockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #142
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPockets View Post
I think the key is plenty of flour on the towels. Not being very good at flour management myself I have tossed out a couple of towels along the way.
Tossed them out?! lol, I mean sure - they're messy, and dumping the dough from the towel into the pan dumped flour all over my kitchen, but just how did you come to have to toss them out?
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #143
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Unless your goal was to quickly sear the steak, then transfer it to a hot oven or some other cooking method to finish it.
^ This is the way to do it. Per Jacques Pepin:

Pre-heat the iron skillet, get it nice and warmed. Generally, I use medium-high heat, and have pre-heated the skillet for between fifteen and twenty minutes. It takes a while to properly pre-heat the skillet, due to the mass of the cast iron. Also, at the same time start pre-heating the oven to about 250 degrees.

Set aside a plate with a slice of bread, crust removed, for each piece of steak. These will serve as crouton beds for the steaks once removed from the skillet.

Before you place the steaks in the skillet, dry the steak using a paper towel to ensure no excess moisture is there to react to the oil/butter (that would cause excess smoke).

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyvray
Turns out the searing doesn't do that much for containing the juiciness - the biggest reason is the improved flavor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart
He's already been mentioned in this thread, but Alton Brown tested that theory. He found that meat seared then roasted actually lost more moisture, not less, due to the cell damage caused by the searing process.

Before you put the steak in the skillet, rub a little oil on each side. This causes the capillaries to close up, retaining more moisture inside the beef, and it also promotes searing of the surface of the steaks. You can now add coarse pepper or salt to the beef, to your taste (generally, I just use coarse pepper and save the salt for later).

Put a hunk of butter into the pre-warmed skillet. Once the butter is almost completely melted (this will happen pretty fast), place each steak into the skillet. Allow each side to cook for about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, then turn. Once you turn the steaks, add more butter to the skillet if it looks like it's getting dry in there.

Once the steaks have cooked on each side (they should have a nice, carmelized appearance on each side), remove them from the skillet and place them on the crouton beds on the plates, then quickly into the pre-heated oven for about five minutes. This allows them to finish cooking, without overcooking (charring) the outside, thus guaranteeing a more tender piece of beef.

You can use the juices remaining in the hot skillet to make a nice sauce by adding some red wine, allowing it to boil down, then right before it is done boiling down to a nice medium thickness, adding about two or three table spoons of mustard. Stir the mustard into the sauce to get an even texture and color.

Remove the steaks from the oven, pour on the sauce, and serve.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be

spezjag screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 10:32 AM
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #144
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 679
The bottom right on is my favorite, its the smoothest bottom, works brilliantly, just did a salmon in it this evening.. The one above it is my egg pan, works pretty darn good. The rest need some season work, but I almost never use them.. Just got the dutch oven, I think its going to get a restart and cleaning before I start using it.

Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #145
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Lodge Logic makes a Hibachi......uh oh.....
Gernick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #146
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
The bottom right on is my favorite, its the smoothest bottom, works brilliantly, just did a salmon in it this evening.. The one above it is my egg pan, works pretty darn good. The rest need some season work, but I almost never use them.. Just got the dutch oven, I think its going to get a restart and cleaning before I start using it.

You use your CI on that stovetop? I was told not to....
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #147
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Yup. Hasn't hurt anything. I've only ever used it on the front two burners (big and small) and there is zero noticable advanced wear / scratches / damage on those compared to the rears.
That said, I don't throw them around / bang them / drop them.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #148
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,254
Quote:
I have a solid black ceramic top on my stove and use cast iron on it. Just be careful! I have no marks and we keep it perfectly glossy.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #149
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Works just fine.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #150
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
you are missing out! i love my cast iron on my inductive stove.. it is very effective. heats up fast and stays very consistant.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: