Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #151
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see an argument in this entire thread. Differing opinions / tips, yes, but your rant sounds about the same as some other ADV'er I once posted a question to just to ask what make/model of part he used on his bike... he immediately spouted off about ADV'ers arguing about anything, when all I was asking was for the part he used.

My guess is - Some guys either don't read threads with the right frame of mind, or there must be some guys who are just out of touch with reality and discussion. Must be utter joys to be around for their friends and family, lol.
I didn't see any argument either. Thought its all been very cordial.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #152
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post
I use my 12" CI for just about any food that isn't grilled or baked. Great stuff, great seasoning, sometimes two or three meals a day on the weekends. Get one if you don't have one.

I'm thinking of refinishing (sanding?) my small cast iron skillets to better flip eggs. The surface seems far too rough, even though the coating is pretty good, not great. Has anyone done this, and how?
I took 60 grit sandpaper in a random orbit sander to a Lodge pan until it was as smooth as glass and then seasoned it. It works great with eggs
Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #153
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Today in cast iron cooking

Crustless (low carb) bacon, spinach, and mushroom quiche in the skillet.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #154
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cyclops View Post
I took 60 grit sandpaper in a random orbit sander to a Lodge pan until it was as smooth as glass and then seasoned it. It works great with eggs
I have been thinking about doing this with a big Lodge skillet I have. Was 60 good enough or did you do up a few grits (120, 240) also????
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #155
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
you are missing out! i love my cast iron on my inductive stove.. it is very effective. heats up fast and stays very consistant.
yes heats faster then gas can heat it.

edit as far as taking the dimples off a lodge, use it first with the dimples you may like it that way.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #156
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I have been thinking about doing this with a big Lodge skillet I have. Was 60 good enough or did you do up a few grits (120, 240) also????
I thought I would have to use a couple of finer grits, but I the 60 did a fine job. hit it with some 60 or 80 and see what happens. Mine turned out slick as a ribbon and no sign of a scratch
Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #157
The Cyclops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post

edit as far as taking the dimples off a lodge, use it first with the dimples you may like it that way.
The dimples are actually not that bad. I have an induction and gas and they do work great on both, but different. I like gas because its a visable indicator, induction is fast, especially boiling water, but I like to get a little rough sauting and flipping and the iron grates work great for that
Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #158
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Not sure but it probably has already been mentioned here:

As part of the seasoning, I periodically throw my cast iron skillets upside down in a campfire (wood only) and let it cook for hours. It makes a great taste to the food. Not sure what exactly it does, but had an old farm boy show me that years ago and it gives it a good seasoning.
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #159
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,086
Thanks for the tips on smoothing out modern CI. I have a 12" Lodge that is about 10 years old. The cooking surface is very rough and never gets really non stick. I'm going to smooth that sucker out.

I have a vintage Griswold #6 (699B) that I got on ebay for pretty cheap several years back. The bigger pans, 10-14", are VERY expensive on ebay. This pan is a bit smaller, so I got it cheap. It turned out to be a bit smaller than I pictured in my mind when I bid on it. I was worried at first that it was too small. But it has turned out to be my favorite pan.

It's surface is smooth as glass. It's a bit lighter due to being smaller. It turns out that the size is perfect for a medium strip + 1 small tenderloin steak - which feeds my wife and me. It's also perfect for a 2 egg omelet. I hardly use my big Lodge anymore. I only use that for doing two huge ribeyes or a whole mess of bacon. I'll also bake chicago deep dish pizza in it.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #160
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:

Laziness will probably win out. But it is good to know if I ever decide to do it.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #161
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
I thought I would have to use a couple of finer grits, but I the 60 did a fine job. hit it with some 60 or 80 and see what happens. Mine turned out slick as a ribbon and no sign of a scratch
Thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #162
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
you are missing out! i love my cast iron on my inductive stove.. it is very effective. heats up fast and stays very consistant.
Quote:

Well hot diggity! Thanks for the replies... Back out they come!
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #163
Vt-Stromer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPockets View Post

I know we are talking about cast iron but just happened to be in Rural King (Farm supply store) and stumbled upon this.
Pretty sure all of these are made by Vermont Castings in Randolph Vermont for Lodge.

Right up the road.
Vt-Stromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #164
Chi-Ha
soft-handed crime fighter

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
I recently "restored" a big Lodge pan with some relatively light spots of rust using a nylon wheel in my drill. I don't know what grit of abasive but its one of the ones sold for removing paint and rust, etc.

Washed with soap and water to get the residue out and immediatly put on stove to dry out.
Seasoned it with oil in the oven and then cooked some bacon.

Works great and no stick now.
Chi-Ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #165
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,941
Quote:
The dimples are actually not that bad. I have an induction and gas and they do work great on both, but different. I like gas because its a visable indicator, induction is fast, especially boiling water, but I like to get a little rough sauting and flipping and the iron grates work great for that
I have one dimpled and one that I cleaned up, I like the dimpled one better. I also have both gas and induction but my induction is a $80 hotplate and the funny thing is I do most of my pan cooking on that.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: