Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #136
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
From the A.S.O., the Organizers of the Dakar :

"KEMAL, OUR FRIEND

A smile will remain. One of the most contagious smiles that the Dakar bivouac has ever known. Everybody on the Rally has an anecdote, a moment of more or less fleeting complicity shared with Kemal Merkit. Some might have met him briefly during a meal, helped him out with a few litres of fuel in the middle of a special stage, spent a night in the dunes in his company, or a few hours alongside him engaged in mechanical repairs on a motorbike, arriving safely in disorder and confusion… the memory of his constant good humour is sure to remain. In spite of setbacks, pain and sometimes tears, Kemal showed the joy of the Dakar experience in all of his attitudes and in his every action. He was an abiding figure in “Malle-Motos”, the meeting point for motorcyclists competing with no assistance, and was among the most faithful upholders of the spirit of helping one another which reigns there. Kemal Merkit took part in the Rally eight times and – after a first experience in 2000 – in 2002 he became the first Turkish rider to complete the Dakar. He was preparing to line up at the start of the Rally in Lima next January, but his enthusiasm and ambition were cut short on a track of the TransAnatolia Rally, in a fatal collision with a Dutch motorcyclist, Wouter Vaarkamp, who also died on 7th September. The Dakar organisation team is deeply distressed by this tragedy and extends its heartfelt condolences to Kemal’s family and loved ones."
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #137
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,440
That was a nice tribute from the ASO.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #138
Brodovitch OP
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Agreed, very fitting...

On another note, a great selection of photos from the TransAnatolia over here, by Yasemin Avdan

I would really like to go next year...
Old 09-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #139
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
extremely sad news indeed. hope both the families have the strength to swallow the disaster.

RIP guys.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #140
Kirill Shubin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Rip

Rip
Kirill Shubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #141
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
RIP Kemal!

NO, still can't believe this!!!

In future when I'm faced with adversity.......I will think to myself 'What would Kemal have done?'

"Then just push on, with a big SMILE!"
Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #142
strommer
Ride for balance

Oddometer: 374
RIP Kemal Merkit

The sport has lost one of its heros.

In the tribute video he says that since he has arrived early at the end of that days stage, he is finding time to go running so he can train for his upcoming marathon.

He never got to run that marathon but he will remain a source of inspiration.
strommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #143
MuDoTU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
KEMAL MERKİT HATIRA ORMANI

Kemal Merkit, samimiyeti, alçakgönüllülüğü ve güleryüzlülüğü ile hepimize ayrı ayrı dokundu. Bizler de istiyoruz ki, bize dokunduğu gibi herkese dokunsun. Bu amaçla 67 sporcu bir araya geldik ve adımıza da Team Merkit dedik!

4 Kasım 2012'de Kıbrıs'da Kemal Merkit anısına düzenlenecek olan orta mesafe Kasım Şakası triatlon yarışına hep birlikte katılıp anısını yüceltmek istedik.

1.9 km’lik yüzme etabını onun kadar sabırla yüzecek, 90 km’lik bisiklet etabında onun gibi gülücükler saçarak pedallara asılacak ve son dönemde kendini çok geliştirdiği 21 km’lik koşu etabında da, onun kadar inatçı adımlarla koşacağız!

Bu coşkumuzu ise sizlerin de desteğiyle, KEMAL MERKİT HATIRA ORMANI’na dönüştürüp, adını ölümsüzleştirmeyi amaçlıyoruz. Kemal için fidan bağışlamak isterseniz, aşağıdaki hesap numaralarını kullanabilirsiniz. Hepinizden bu projeye ayrı ayrı destek olmanızı istiyoruz.

Fidan dikimi Tema Vakfı aracılığıyla, İzmir Urla Hatıra Ormanı’nda yapılacaktır. 1 fidan bedeli 5 TL’dir.

HESAP BİLGİLERİ :
Alıcı ismi : TEMA VAKFI
Banka/Şube : İŞ BANKASI LEVENT ŞUBESİ
İban No : TR 5600 0640 0000 1103 5120 7774
Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #144
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuDoTU View Post
KEMAL MERKİT HATIRA ORMANI

Kemal Merkit, samimiyeti, alçakgönüllülüğü ve güleryüzlülüğü ile hepimize ayrı ayrı dokundu. Bizler de istiyoruz ki, bize dokunduğu gibi herkese dokunsun. Bu amaçla 67 sporcu bir araya geldik ve adımıza da Team Merkit dedik!

4 Kasım 2012'de Kıbrıs'da Kemal Merkit anısına düzenlenecek olan orta mesafe Kasım Şakası triatlon yarışına hep birlikte katılıp anısını yüceltmek istedik.

1.9 km’lik yüzme etabını onun kadar sabırla yüzecek, 90 km’lik bisiklet etabında onun gibi gülücükler saçarak pedallara asılacak ve son dönemde kendini çok geliştirdiği 21 km’lik koşu etabında da, onun kadar inatçı adımlarla koşacağız!

Bu coşkumuzu ise sizlerin de desteğiyle, KEMAL MERKİT HATIRA ORMANI’na dönüştürüp, adını ölümsüzleştirmeyi amaçlıyoruz. Kemal için fidan bağışlamak isterseniz, aşağıdaki hesap numaralarını kullanabilirsiniz. Hepinizden bu projeye ayrı ayrı destek olmanızı istiyoruz.

Fidan dikimi Tema Vakfı aracılığıyla, İzmir Urla Hatıra Ormanı’nda yapılacaktır. 1 fidan bedeli 5 TL’dir.

HESAP BİLGİLERİ :
Alıcı ismi : TEMA VAKFI
Banka/Şube : İŞ BANKASI LEVENT ŞUBESİ
İban No : TR 5600 0640 0000 1103 5120 7774

rough not entirely correct google translation:

Merkits Kemal Memorial Forest

Kemal Merkit, friendliness, humility and friendliness touched all of us individually. We would also ask that, as he touched us all dokunsun. For this purpose, 67 athletes came together and we said our behalf Merkit the Team!

November 4th 2012 in Cyprus, which will be held in memory of Kemal Merkit middle distance triathlon race in November joke I always wanted to glorify the memory of the join.

Patiently until his swim of 1.9 km swimming stage, 90 km of bicycle pedals stage of the scattering smiles as he will be hanged (), and 21 km of recently developed self-running multi-stage, it'll run as stubborn as he steps!

If your support of this coşkumuzu, Kemal Memorial Forest convert Merkits, we aim to eternalized name. If you would like to donate seedlings for Bob, use the following account numbers. We want you to support this project, all of you individually.

Tema Foundation through tree planting, Izmir Urla Memorial Forest will be made. 1 seedlings cost 5 TL.

ACCOUNT INFORMATION:
Buyer Name: TEMA FOUNDATION
Bank / Branch: BRANCH BANK BEAM
Iban No: TR 5600 0640 0000 1103 5120 7774

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #145
Brodovitch OP
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
I am in Istanbul for an extended weekend and have to say I felt a lump in my throat when I came upon this beemer in Taksim Square:

Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #146
MEGO
Africa Racer

Oddometer: 120
I remember I met Kemal and his team mate Kutlu during Dakar 2007, the 6th stage liaison, Tan Tan - Zouerat, maybe 7.00 in the morning, it was raining and near 150 competitors were stopped at the fuel station. It was raining and we all were wet, very wet.
We, togheter enter the "cafè", not to drink a coffee but searching for warm place for just few minutes before to continue the road to Smara, than Bir Moghrein and so to Zouerat...
Bye Kemal. RIP
Old 11-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #147
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
What a shock! Just stopped in to see how things were lining up for Dakar and saw this.

A Dakar mainstay who showed what could be accomplished with determination.

The world is a lesser place.
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #148
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 946
There is a nice article about Kemal on Italian magazine l'Endurista, November/December issue, written by inmate Alessio "Disodbediente" Corradini ;-)
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #149
Kit0
b00m

Oddometer: 7
Kemal

Attached Images

Kit0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:11 AM   #150
rallye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565