Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #4351
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
chain length question:

going to run 14/48 for d/s, with a second wheelset running 14/52.

looking at the chain, my choices are to cut 2 links off my 118 and run the axle way back, or
cut 4 links off and run the axle way forward.

this is with the axle block flipped so the "long" side is towards the swingarm. i'm hoping flipping it to the "short" side will allow the 52 to fit.

wisdom?

i run 14/48 cush wheel and 14/52 wheel and just flip the blocks. my axle is up front.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #4352
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
i run 14/48 cush wheel and 14/52 wheel and just flip the blocks. my axle is up front.
You sure about that? Axle blocks are good for 2 teeth difference when flipped, that is a whole lot of difference in chain slack!

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #4353
espressodrinker
Cape Town Wanderer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
In my opinion you generally want the axle farther back particularly on an RFS bike. They handle better with the axle pushed back in terms of tracking... This is particularly true for the bikes through '05 in my opinion and made huge differeces on my 00-03 style bike with the earlier rear swingarm..
Can an inch or so make such a big difference in the handling?
espressodrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #4354
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
Geez Justin... tell us about those metal plates eh? Asked after you at the hospital, but I heard the nurses had chased you out already.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #4355
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
chain length question:

going to run 14/48 for d/s, with a second wheelset running 14/52.

looking at the chain, my choices are to cut 2 links off my 118 and run the axle way back, or
cut 4 links off and run the axle way forward.

this is with the axle block flipped so the "long" side is towards the swingarm. i'm hoping flipping it to the "short" side will allow the 52 to fit.

wisdom?
That is exactly how I do it. Works fine, very little adjustment necessary when swapping wheels.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #4356
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
You sure about that? Axle blocks are good for 2 teeth difference when flipped, that is a whole lot of difference in chain slack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by espressodrinker View Post
Can an inch or so make such a big difference in the handling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
That is exactly how I do it. Works fine, very little adjustment necessary when swapping wheels.
i'm not sure. what chain length do you guys run? i don't have the 52 tooth yet, so i haven't done the total comparison yet.

with my current 14/48 (shock not reinstalled yet) it appears that my choices are 114 or 116, and neither puts the axle in the middle of the range. i'm leaning towards the 116, i figure if i run out of adjustment i can always pull another couple links out?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #4357
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post

i run pretty loose to loose.

ymmv
Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #4358
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
Well, I seem to be having carb issues on my 525. It has run perfectly since I got it, but began to develop an annoying bog off the bottom a few months ago. The bog got progressively worse to the point of killing the bike, so I pulled the bowl off the carb and cleaned everything as much as possible. I also took the opertunity to go ahead and adjust the valves/ service the bike.

Well, that didn't fix the issue. In fact, I had to limp home from a ride this weekend because the bog (off the bottom) got so bad it was killing the bike and flooding it. I can't imagaine this is a jetting issue, because the bike ran great before this began. I am thinking it's the AP, and plan to install the Honda diaphram this evening.

My question is, can the AP diaphram go bad? Or, if they get dirty, could it cause the bike to flood off the bottom? I'm thinking it could, because contaminants in the wrong place could cause the squirt duration to be off...but I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, so a little confirmation from someone who does would be helpful.

Also, I have read that a poor connection in the sprk plug boot can cause fits, but I can't see how that could be the culprit and be isolated to just off idle throttle.

Anyway, I'm drinking coffee and pondering the issue this morning. Thought? suggestions? heartfelt condolences?
Well, if anyone is interested, it turned out to be a bad spark plug cap. I had checked the connection from the wire to the cap, and checked the plug, but never considered that the cap itself could have an issue. It was only after switching the Honda AC diaghram and messing with the air fuel that I revisited the plug.

Standing over the bike with the tank off, I could see the arc from the cap bouncing off the head everytime the bike bogged. It didn't happen in the upper RPM's, just off the bottom.

In retrospect, I have run into cracked distributor caps plenty of times on old Jeeps after deep water crossings, and it seems logical that the plastic KTM spark plug cap could crack, too. We have alot of deep creek crossings, so maybe that was a factor. Live and learn I guess.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #4359
Swarthy_Red_Beard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
Well, if anyone is interested, it turned out to be a bad spark plug cap. I had checked the connection from the wire to the cap, and checked the plug, but never considered that the cap itself could have an issue. It was only after switching the Honda AC diaghram and messing with the air fuel that I revisited the plug.

Standing over the bike with the tank off, I could see the arc from the cap bouncing off the head everytime the bike bogged. It didn't happen in the upper RPM's, just off the bottom.

In retrospect, I have run into cracked distributor caps plenty of times on old Jeeps after deep water crossings, and it seems logical that the plastic KTM spark plug cap could crack, too. We have alot of deep creek crossings, so maybe that was a factor. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks for keeping us up on the diagnostics and solution. This is the type of thing that makes the internet awesome. I keep daily tabs on this thread and it has helped me more than once. Who knows how many people this post alone will help.

-Cheers
Swarthy_Red_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #4360
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarthy_Red_Beard View Post
Thanks for keeping us up on the diagnostics and solution. This is the type of thing that makes the internet awesome. I keep daily tabs on this thread and it has helped me more than once. Who knows how many people this post alone will help.

-Cheers
Now that the cap has been replaced, I have to wonder if it hasn't been a growing issue for a long time. Granted, I made some changes when troubleshooting (Honda diaphragm, wired the linkage), but the bike runs much better than it ever has, especially off the bottom. I sort of suspect that my spark plug cap has had a very fine crack that expanded when hot, and that the crack grew over time and led to a more noticeable bog off the bottom. Eventually, the crack got so bad that the bike wouldn't even start.

I noticed yesterday that the bike was much more stall resistant than it has been since I've owned it, and while that may be attributed to the diaphragm changes, I suspect it had to do with the cap. So, food for thought if you run into a mysterious bog off idle.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #4361
ADVMURPH
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Radiator Guards

I just bought some Moose Racing radiator guards for my '07 525, and now I am thinking about a larger fuel tank. Like the KTM 3.4 or 6.6 gal. Would the bigger tank protect my rads making the Moose guards unnecessary?

Thanks for your help
ADVMURPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #4362
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

rewound stator DC floated ground vs. Trail Tech stator?

Trail Tech X2 HID headlight. heated grips. fan. GPS. Trail Tech Endurance.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #4363
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:

the TT gets high praise at ktmtalk. apparently the ignition thingamajig on the TT unit is better? or the stock one wears out?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #4364
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 551
Quote:

Did the "float the ground" mod myself, TT R/R. X2 Eclipse HID, fan, GPS with no issues. Baja proven.
MKJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #4365
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJ View Post
Did the "float the ground" mod myself, TT R/R. X2 Eclipse HID, fan, GPS with no issues. Baja proven.

i'm sticking with the floated rewound stator Javier at Trail Tricks did. me and my buddy are cleaning up at least 30 wires that don't need to be in the headlight bucket.
basically, Trail Tech X2 HID headlight, heated grips, Sicass switch, GPS, Trail Tech Endurance, fan (with a switch)... makes for a lot of wires. but we cleaned it up. i also have a Lithium battery. not the Shorai, but identical. works amazing.

i have a new problem...

my starter whines and doesn't engage in the motor. sometimes it does. but it's engaging less and less. battery shows full charge. kick starting it starts on one kick.

a few months ago i cut the compression release cable because it was crimping/cutting into my wiring harness. i figured i don't use it, so i don't need it. (i'm dumb, i know)

after Googling the whining starter not engaging blah blah blah, some stories of compression is coming up.

before tearing into the motor to see if the starter clutch is gone, or if the teeth are bad, i want to get some feedback.

i am not a great home mechanic, my buddy is. but he owns a 2010 530 and doesn't know RFS motors. but he's willing to help.

what should i do first?

i have a huge ride coming up in 2 weeks, so i'm stressing.