Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #4201
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama View Post
Hey Guys, I did just did interstate trip on my 2006 KLR to my parents house 180 miles each way on flat straight I-10 and I hot reserve at 155 miles on the way there and on the way back. I went 70-75 mph with panniers with less than 30-40 lbs of stuff. It seems like I should be able to do this drive on one tank. At each fill up I traveled about 155 miles and put 4.8 gallons in = 32 MPG.

What should I check or tweak? I have no real mods other than the doohickey, tall windshield, and side cases (mermite cans).

Thanks for any advice or tips
Somebody has been in your carb without your knowledge. Sounds like typical results from a DynoJet kit installation. Time to pull the carb and record/document what you have for jets/needle etc.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #4202
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Hey Guys, I did just did interstate trip on my 2006 KLR to my parents house 180 miles each way on flat straight I-10 and I hot reserve at 155 miles on the way there and on the way back. I went 70-75 mph with panniers with less than 30-40 lbs of stuff. It seems like I should be able to do this drive on one tank. At each fill up I traveled about 155 miles and put 4.8 gallons in = 32 MPG.

What should I check or tweak? I have no real mods other than the doohickey, tall windshield, and side cases (mermite cans).

Worst I have ever got (with panniers etc) was 32 - into a 50-60mph head- wind in northen MT. Best, 58mpg with a tail wind up through AL. Usual is about 46. At one time I tried all the jets and needles and all it did was use more gas. Returned the bike to stock a few years ago..
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #4203
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop74 View Post
I have a KLR650, a Vstrom 1k, and until about 2 months ago a BMW R1200GS Adventure. I have ridden to Alaska, West coast, Mexico, and this year to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. I love my KLR, but fully loaded with gear to camp for several days the KLR is not the right tool to ride 77 mph for a 700 + mile day. BTW mine is about as trick as you can make one. I have upgraded suspension, a motor built by a Pro motor builder, a larger then stock tank and nearly all the tricks you can put on one. I rode the Cont Divide trail Solo, and all over Colorado on it for a week.

The KLR650 is not a great highway bike, dont care who you are or how flat it is where you ride. Another BTW, hopefully in 5-6 years when the last Son gets out of college I plan to ride round the world and it likely will be on a KLR. A great bike but not a great highway bike. Mine has just shy of 50k miles on it too...

Now what makes you think it is capable of a reall 77mph on the highway for an all day ride???
By all means express your own opinion of whatever bike you choose to ride. But to state that a particular bike ( be it a KLR or any other) is catagorically 'not capable' is an opinion and not an accurate reflection of what the machine is capable of.

Now , as to what makes me personally think a KLR is capable of a real '77'mph on the highway, the answer is simple. Because it is my choice of a ride, fully loaded with camping gear too and has been for tens of thousands of miles and many 800 mile plus days at those speeds. The speeds and distances covered and viewed (Both odo and calibrated cycle computer that have been verified with a GPS) have indicated that and for me is now more comfortable than my Beemer for most long rides I do.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 11:34 PM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #4204
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,161
^I agree. As with anything, YMMV.

It's all in your own preference.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #4205
Apocalypso
Mellow Adventurer

Oddometer: 1
n00bification. Idiot's guide to keeping your KLR alive?

Lurked awhile, now leaping.

Never had a KLR650 before. 2006 with an aftermarket seat and exhaust, heated grips, great deal, quite pleased and using it regularly. Know both POs, tracking down jet and doohickey data. I'm 6'1", 200#, and my fiancee likes two up on it.

Can the sages here tell me:
What size fasteners should I carry to replace those most commonly lost to vibration? Mine loses weight with every ride.
Dry, dusty climate, hot and cold. What do you use for chain lube, and how often?
For those KLR owners who wind up with a second complementary bike in the stable, what is yours?
Tire faves? Kenda 80/20 street/dirt on now, seem fine. Tire pressures?
Gas: Cheap 85/86 octane OK at 7000 ASL? Runs fine with it. MPG and conditions?
Soft tank and rear pannier types, sources, MacGyver methods?

Thank you all in advance.
Apocalypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #4206
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
Hey there, and welcome! I'm on my third KLR. My humblest of comments below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post

Never had a KLR650 before. 2006 with an aftermarket seat and exhaust, heated grips, great deal, quite pleased and using it regularly. Know both POs, tracking down jet and doohickey data. I'm 6'1", 200#, and my fiancee likes two up on it.

What size fasteners should I carry to replace those most commonly lost to vibration? Mine loses weight with every ride. "loses weight" . Can't be positive at the moment, but I think I carry M6 (and Loctite) in various lengths, IIRC
Dry, dusty climate, hot and cold. What do you use for chain lube, and how often? Just my take: Not so much the lube as how often you clean/lube it (that's what she said). For me, very dusty/sandy, maybe every ride. Street-only, maybe every fuel-up.
For those KLR owners who wind up with a second complementary bike in the stable, what is yours? Mine's my only ride. Its all what you're into/able to afford. Me, I don't care about quick acceleration from 70 to 85, so the KLR is great. I had a 2-bike stable last year (ST1100/DR350) and came back to a KLR again . I rode my last one to FL two summers ago, split into 2 days; 400 and 900 miles. Also did my Saddlesore 1000 on it. And I'm off to New Orleans this coming summer. Fantastic, capable motorcycles, if not "sport-tourer fast."
Tire faves? Kenda 80/20 street/dirt on now, seem fine. Tire pressures? I have no tire comments . 100% preference/riding type. I use Shinko 705's most of the time, and Kenda Trakmasters for my (infrequent) mostly of-road trips. The K270's it sounds like you're running are a widely popular tire.
Gas: Cheap 85/86 octane OK at 7000 ASL? Runs fine with it. MPG and conditions? 87 all the time for me. Higher if the pinging is particularly annoying that day. Repeatable 55mpg, but I have stock everything.
Soft tank and rear pannier types, sources, MacGyver methods? Wolfman makes my favorite tank bag. Panniers are somewhat preference, but I like the pelican-ish style. Had Seahorse 720's on my last KLR, and I'm giving these a try this winter when I have time to MacGuyver a rack.

Also, visit a KLR-specific forum for thousands of like-minded folks. There's some real guru's out there.
http://www.klrworld.com
http://www.klr650.net

IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #4207
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:

What size fasteners should I carry to replace those most commonly lost to vibration? Mine loses weight with every ride.
Dry, dusty climate, hot and cold. What do you use for chain lube, and how often?
For those KLR owners who wind up with a second complementary bike in the stable, what is yours?
Tire faves? Kenda 80/20 street/dirt on now, seem fine. Tire pressures?
Gas: Cheap 85/86 octane OK at 7000 ASL? Runs fine with it. MPG and conditions?
Soft tank and rear pannier types, sources, MacGyver methods?

Properly fastened fasteners will not fall off. That said every bike has problem fasteners and the KLR is no different. Two that are most common...header flange bolts and footpeg mount bolts. Header flange will be fine if you do the following. INstall new gasket and tq to 15lbs. Run a couple heat cycles then retorque to 15lbs. Footpeg bolts....very poor design but without cutting/welding I safety wire both bolts. Do not over tighten!

I stopped using chain lube many many years ago. My KLR's get about 15-20K miles on a set. I do keep the chain clean. If you live in a wet environment get a chain thats plated and maybe spray some wax on it on occasion.

I have several bikes all pretty much cover different aspects of riding i.e. cruiser, track bike, motard etc.

I've found the Shinko 705's to be pretty complimentary to the KLR. Neither is offroad but do fine in DS territory and most important for any KLR owner....Cheap!

Cheap gas in all weather except dead of summer here in Az. KLR engines can ping in hot weather and not good for any engine. Stock carb you should see mid/upper 40's MPG in mixed riding. I rejetted with KLX needle kit and leaner main jet and get far better response and still avg 48-52mpg pretty consistently. DynoJet kits go way way way way way way too rich. Stock main jet is actually too rich but Kawi had to with such a lean EPA mandated midrange jetting.

I like soft bags for Panniers. Favorites being Ortlieb and Wolfman.

For two up I added the rear backrest from www.KLRdash.com I can give more feedback on that accessory if you're interested. Best upgrades for the KLR....good maintenance (lube that rear suspension!), new doo, KLX needle kit and upgraded suspension. Getting sag correct, especially 2up, is very important.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #4208
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Tall windshield and mermites equal a lot of wind resistance.
Agreed, with all that wind resistance plus 75mph that's probably the cause of the low mileage.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #4209
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,355
Quote:

That is pretty rough MPG - sounds silly, but tires aired up? Run some good cleaner through the fuel system?

Does MPG go way up if you drop down to 60mph? If so, maybe the panniers are just big enough that 75 is your wind threshold and it kicks its ass?

I've only gotten down in the high 30's a few times, and that was on long interstate slogs where I was in a hurry and doing more like 80+mph which KLR's hate, of course.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #4210
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
doing more like 80+mph which KLR's hate, of course.
Tell me about it..........

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #4211
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,126
Quote:

How's your air filter looking?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #4212
Panama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
32 mpg klr

The Bike is a 2006 with 8k miles. The Tires are duro (70/30) street/ Dirt with 30 psi. Gearing is stock, 70 mph was 4800 rpm. The Spark plug was changed before the trip and the air filter was cleaned. I expected the milage to be less than my back road trips but then I get high 40's low 50's. I am the second owner but I dont think anything was done because it only had 1k miles at purchase.
I will do another rider at 60 mph. I tried to go slower on the interstate but thought I was going to be smashed by semi trucks.

Thanks for all the tips. Will report back results of slower ride.

Panama screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 12:37 PM
Panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #4213
jonyfi
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 410
" I tried to go slower on the interstate but thought I was going to be smashed by semi trucks."

Most of us who have KLR's have probably thought the same

I started with a KLR
then could afford a used BMW GS
Then owed a KTM 950 ( which is AWSOME)
And now have a KLR

And I have had similar thoughts... but when it comes to the KLR and the freeway (and in general) some of your ego focused standards and expectations must be sacrificed for one of the most dependable, easy to service and repair, not so large/heavy as to break your back, economical, go where ever the FUCK you want day or night, winter or summer, solo or two up, with your buddies or not, Moto that takes you many places over the many miles, meeting the many folks, having the many memorable moments on and off road motorbike that human beings (thus far) have built....
No it's not love, just an appreciation
Though I wish it was a v twinn, not a single
And had over 100 hp with no weight increase
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #4214
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyfi View Post
" I tried to go slower on the interstate but thought I was going to be smashed by semi trucks."

I'm riding a 2012 KLR with HT bags and a GIVI top box, plus I certainly need to go on a diet. That's my way of saying that my bike is pushing a pretty good size load.

During Group rides I've found myself going down the interstate at 85mph, but when by myself I feel much more comfortable doing an indicated 70 mph.Why do I feel more comfortable riding an indicated 70?

The engine is turning approx. 4800 rpm and feels relaxed.

The Bike sits high off the ground, and tends to feel more stable, and doesn't react to the wind as much at that speed.

I don't need to worry about getting a speeding ticket (My bike is Red).

I ride in the number 2, lane and leave the number one lane open so the guys in the pickups and BMW's can race each other. The Semi- trucks are generally in the number three lane.

Almost every fill up works out to an average of 48 Mpg (regular).

I used to do a lot of long distance riding (Iron Butt, etc.) which taught me that your top speed isn't as important as the amount of time you spend off the bike getting gas and eating. If you ride at a speed that traffic allows you to maintain, and stay relaxed, you arrive at the destination sooner.

It's always a good idea to move to the right and let the professional drivers of the semi trucks pass you.
IBA #43
2013 Vespa 300ie S GTS
2014 G650GS
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #4215
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:

What size fasteners should I carry to replace those most commonly lost to vibration? Mine loses weight with every ride. Locktite. Have only lost a muffler/header bolt so far. Must be lucky...(knock on wood)
Dry, dusty climate, hot and cold. What do you use for chain lube, and how often? Whatever is handy. Waxy stuff and some that's not. Clean and lube when it looks like it needs it. Or sometime after that.
For those KLR owners who wind up with a second complementary bike in the stable, what is yours? KLX250 (now 351) because I'm more for dirt and less for the flat slabby stuff.
Tire faves? Kenda 80/20 street/dirt on now, seem fine. Tire pressures? no comment
Gas: Cheap 85/86 octane OK at 7000 ASL? Runs fine with it. MPG and conditions? whatever low-test is pouring, and non-ethanol whenever possible because I can still get it around here. 55 mpg fairly regular for this one, drops to 50 when flogging it on the trails.
Soft tank and rear pannier types, sources, MacGyver methods? I use a wolfman tank bag and a Giant Loop Coyote because I can move them from bike to bike with east.

Welcome to the 2006
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote