Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #481
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Hmmmm. I'm at about 12,500 miles and had trouble starting after gassing up this morning. It happened a couple tanks ago and I chalked it up to randomness but now I have to wonder. In both cases I just waited maybe 30 seconds while running through the standard things -- kickstand up/down, shift into neutral, cycle kill switch, etc. -- and it started up.

Could this be a symptom of the decompression lever issue?
Third tank in a row with minor starting problems after fill-up. It turns over fast, but doesn't light. Same procedure as above and it fired up.

It's probably time to take it to the dealer for a look-see.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #482
renzo
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
Sorry about that. I say "we" because we trade off on the G650. There is only one rider at a time, and only one pair of gloves, along with only one jacket, used at a time.
If I was you I would have it looked into because something isn't right w/ your bike. It has was 400 W alternator which should leave plenty of power left to run a jacket liner and a pair of gloves. As somebody else said ditch the wet cell battery because it will eventually cause you headaches.
renzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #483
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Third tank in a row with minor starting problems after fill-up. It turns over fast, but doesn't light. Same procedure as above and it fired up.

It's probably time to take it to the dealer for a look-see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renzo View Post
If I was you I would have it looked into because something isn't right w/ your bike. It has was 400 W alternator which should leave plenty of power left to run a jacket liner and a pair of gloves. As somebody else said ditch the wet cell battery because it will eventually cause you headaches.
I think I'm turning into an advocate of swapping out the battery as well...

After a 20-mile trip this morning I killed the engine to pay for parking at a kiosk. Engine wouldn't start, and I didn't get too many chances before the battery was done.

I was able to push it into a nearby parking spot where it'll sit for the day. Hopefully it has the umph to start up cold this afternoon...

First time I've had any sort of reliability issues.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #484
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 451
Quote:

Pete, I complained to my dealer about the battery in my G650GS failing. He load tested the battery and it 'passed' so BMW would not authorize a replacement under warranty. The bike was about 6 months old. Rather than get stranded again (happened three times) I just bought a new battery from Batteries Plus...no more problems. For me the problem was not worth the fight that it would have taken to get a replacement from BMW, that would be just like the one that was failing.

Peter Y.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #485
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Pete, I complained to my dealer about the battery in my G650GS failing. He load tested the battery and it 'passed' so BMW would not authorize a replacement under warranty. The bike was about 6 months old. Rather than get stranded again (happened three times) I just bought a new battery from Batteries Plus...no more problems. For me the problem was not worth the fight that it would have taken to get a replacement from BMW, that would be just like the one that was failing.

Peter Y.
Thanks for the advice -- I hear you loud & clear. My lifetime of experience with old cars taught me that the battery is one of those places where it's always worth spending the money for the best.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #486
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
New tires

Got the new rubber. Thanks for all the shared advise.
Have a look... K60 rear and TKC 80 front.

Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #487
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:

After a 20-mile trip this morning I killed the engine to pay for parking at a kiosk. Engine wouldn't start, and I didn't get too many chances before the battery was done.

I was able to push it into a nearby parking spot where it'll sit for the day. Hopefully it has the umph to start up cold this afternoon...

At the end of the day when everything was cold the bike started up at the first touch of the button.

What would cause it to not start when warm after a few minutes of heat soak?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #488
ctoldie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Got the new rubber. Thanks for all the shared advise.
Have a look... K60 rear and TKC 80 front.

What luggage is on your bike?

Thanks
ctoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #489
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:

There's a positive terminal under the seat you can use to jump start the bike. It's has a little plastic cover on it and is next to the fuse box.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #490
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Our 2011 G650GS developed battery issues, would not hold a charge, within 4-5 months. I pulled it out of the bike (that was fun) and took it to the dealer. It was so swollen it could not be placed into their testing station. They just ordered me a new factory BMW battery and it is working fine.
I would like to find a replacement battery of the sealed type, but have been unable to do so.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #491
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
You guys with "battery" issues really need to search for the "hot start issue". The battery is a red herring. The battery gets sucked dry because it is stressed in turning over the engine against compression. A fresh, spunky battery "cures" the issue, for a while. The issue is a faulty decompression mechanism--an internal "decompression lever".

See the Sertao and 2011 G650GS threads; also see

http://www.f650.co.uk/forums/showthr...-issues/page65

where the issue, and resolution, have been discussed for quite some time.

I'm just hoping my wife's G650GS starts exhibiting these symptoms while it's in warranty.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #492
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoldie View Post
What luggage is on your bike?

Thanks
Ctoldie - They are the BMW vario cases made for the 650.
Cheers
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #493
Outdoor_Girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Evil Tachometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniordirtdog View Post
Just got back from a ride, and had a problem with the over RPM warning light. Cruising along at 50 MPH in 5th gear, and all of a sudden the RPM maxes out, and the bike died. This happened several times before I got home. Anybody had this problem or an idea for the cause?
I started having these problems a few weeks back. I'll be cruising along about 3000-4000 RPMs, doesn't matter what gear, then all of a sudden the tach starts reading 7000-8000 RPMs, the warning light comes on, and then the engine starts cutting out for a second to lower the RPMs. It's a real pain...makes for a very jerky ride with the power cutting off and then surging back. Dealership opened a complaint with BMW but didn't get any info. They thought it might be the battery but my battery checked out fine. After reading everything on here I'm almost tempted to replace the battery anyways.
Outdoor_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #494
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
You guys with "battery" issues really need to search for the "hot start issue". The battery is a red herring. The battery gets sucked dry because it is stressed in turning over the engine against compression. A fresh, spunky battery "cures" the issue, for a while. The issue is a faulty decompression mechanism--an internal "decompression lever".

Hummm, my '10 model went from a quick start (like maybe 1 revolution of the crank) to totally dead; three times. I never had a time when the starter was working hard. That's not to discount the 'decompression lever' issue but the OEM batteries have been an issue for at least 10 years, the lever...not so long. Full disclosure: I have upgraded the ground wire from battery to engine case because that is a critical part of the electrical system and appeared to me to be too small.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #495
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor_Girl View Post
I started having these problems a few weeks back. I'll be cruising along about 3000-4000 RPMs, doesn't matter what gear, then all of a sudden the tach starts reading 7000-8000 RPMs, the warning light comes on, and then the engine starts cutting out for a second to lower the RPMs. It's a real pain...makes for a very jerky ride with the power cutting off and then surging back. Dealership opened a complaint with BMW but didn't get any info. They thought it might be the battery but my battery checked out fine. After reading everything on here I'm almost tempted to replace the battery anyways.
Double check the ground connection at the battery and at the engine. I have seen those symptoms on other brands, frequently traced back to a loose ground.